Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy

Tragedy

There was a huge tragedy in the US yesterday. A bridge collapsed into the Mississippi during bumper to bumper traffic.

ireland.com - Breaking News - Seven die in Minnesota highway bridge collapse

All my condolences to the peole involved and there familys.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    There was a huge tragedy in the US yesterday. A bridge collapsed into the Mississippi during bumper to bumper traffic.

ireland.com - Breaking News - Seven die in Minnesota highway bridge collapse

All my condolences to the peole involved and there familys.
    Condolences to those affected.

I wouldn't call 6 or 7 deaths HUGE though...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post

I wouldn't call your intellect HUGE either...

EDIT:

Last edited by LotusLocost; 08-02-2007 at 02:39 AM.

If 6 or 7 people were to die in your family, would it not be huge? Think.

My condolences to all the family and friends of those affected.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

That's probably the stupidest thing you've ever said- try losing 6 or 7 people you know, then say it's not huge. Losing one person close to you is a big thing, so multiply that by 6 or 7. Idiot. There are also 20 people still missing, and 60 in hospitals...

Condolences to the people involved, it's a terrible thing to happen.

My brother and sister drive over that all the time, especially during the school year. Thankfully this didn't happen 3 weeks ago during the USA Cup when tons and tons of very full cars, vans, buses, etc. travel over it.
    One of my friends was literally seconds away from being on it so I'll see if I can share some of the pictures she took of it.
    I still can't figure out how/why it happened. There was some construction going on, but it sounded like routine repairs/resurfacing that had happened before without any problems.

No need to get personal. I agree with drakkie. Every day thousands of people die in accidents all over the world. Each of those deaths is a tragedy for someone. But the fact that a few died in the same place at the same time doesn't make it more of a tragedy than any other death.
    Last week a polish bus crashed in French Alps, with 30 people dead. If 9 deths are considered "huge" than 30 should be even more so. Yet I haven't seen anyone here talking about that crash as a huge tragedy.
    And if 9 casualties is huge than what is for example 300 (plane crashes, Iraq suicide bombings, south-east asian ferries sinking)? An apocalypse? Let's not exaggerate.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 08-02-2007 at 03:01 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

If drakkie had been the engineer it never would have happened as he knows far more then those Americans who build houses from wood
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Here are some pictures I found. The 3rd one is from my friend's camera phone, the last one looks very 9-11-ish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    If drakkie had been the engineer it never would have happened as he knows far more then those Americans who build houses from wood
    lmao

condolences for the people. although they are outside my monkeysphere
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    No need to get personal. I agree with drakkie. Every day thousands of people die in accidents all over the world. Each of those deaths is a tragedy for someone. But the fact that a few died in the same place at the same time doesn't make it more of a tragedy than any other death.
    Last week a polish bus crashed in French Alps, with 30 people dead. If 9 deths are considered "huge" than 30 should be even more so. Yet I haven't seen anyone here talking about that crash as a huge tragedy.
    And if 9 casualties is huge than what is for example 300 (plane crashes, Iraq suicide bombings, south-east asian ferries sinking)? An apocalypse? Let's not exaggerate.
    Thanks. That was exactly my point. Why is it a huge disaster in the news worldwide if something like this happens in the USA and not when it happens here ? Think about that one

Thanks. That was exactly my point. Why is it a huge disaster in the news worldwide if something like this happens in the USA and not when it happens here ? Think about that one
    Have you ever seen a bridge collapse over here , completely packed with cars ?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Have you ever seen a bridge collapse over here , completely packed with cars ?
    Ah ! The kid comes out to play again ! Is kindergarten having lunchbreak ??

And now a serious reply. Not yet. But there happen plenty of other things. Don't start whining about details, because that's not the point of the discussion.

Ah ! The kid comes out to play again ! Is kindergarten having lunchbreak ??
    What? No smilies?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    This is not the grand scheme of things, this is UCP. It's a small community, well, small-ish. News of this is still rather large. And I remember watching the 9/11 destruction back in 2001- some people did consider it akin to an apocalypse. The effect of that was so strong because people the world over felt it. Statistics show that travelling by plane is the safest way to travel. And there have been multiple threads on the politics of Iraq, covering the tragedies there.

I can see your point, but don't agree with it. I know I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be on that bridge when it thought, "Sod this", and allowed at least one hundred people to plummet downwards. Can you think of anything more frightening than that? Being trapped in a steel box with concrete and water pounding down all around you, unable to do anything at all.

Unless you want to write these people off to the usual status of "total ****ing non-entities", and forget that it is a tragedy. Maybe not huge, but certainly big enough to make the Irish news, several thousand miles away.

Thread Information