Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-Level Results!

Unless i redo my HSC ive gotta wait till im 25 before i can go to uni
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i like how high schools hype up the importance of these tests, which then proceed to mean jack shit after first tertiary enrolment, lol.
    It's the getting in that makes them important

and plus, high school has to mean something for these people....they've dedicated their lives to it.

why is beyond me
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

ive done my A levels in Pakistan. there are a few subjects we have here which are just related to science and commerce. i gave my Economics, Accounting and Business studies exams 1 and a half years ago and cleared them all.

what do you have to study in music technology, general studies and photography??
    Last edited by silverhawk; 08-18-2007 at 02:17 AM.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    Just a heads up to any other 18 year olds in the UK or anyone else in the world who this week collected their A-Level (college exam results). Congrats to everyone who's finally finished college and got the results they deserved

I got an A in Media, B in Art and C in graphics so I'm really pleased. I also got full marks in my photography project which is great I'm now having a year break before i choose where to go to university. Earn some money while im off, go on holiday and have a good time!

I also want to take this time while im drunk off my face to say how much of a great time I've had on UCP since i joined in 2004. Its always been my place of refuge when i shouldve been studying and I've made some great friendships here. I've also recently made a few enemies but I can honestly say I'm very grateful for all the members who make this such a great forum and sorry to those who have witnessed my not so admirable side over the years. I love you all

that is all
    Damn. I was in hospital, on a cocktail of drugs when I should've been doing my exams...so I have to retake the year. The problem is that they've not fully figured out what the problem is so I may need a big operation on my foot/ankle and I'm just hoping it doesn't have to happen in the middle of next year, otherwise that's another year down the toilet.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

In belgium you just pay to get to the next level
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by silverhawk View Post
    ive done my A levels in Pakistan. there are a few subjects we have here which are just related to science and commerce. i gave my Economics, Accounting and Business studies exams 1 and a half years ago and cleared them all.

what do you have to study in music technology, general studies and photography??
    Firstly, well done for completing them- a tough time, to say the least.

Secondly, Music Technology covers the technology of music, surprisingly! It's using computers to record, manipulate and and compose music. For example, I recorded a band covering Beastie Boys "Fight For Your Right". Before I recorded, I had to think about microphone placement, instrument placement and whether I'd do a live (all together now!) or multitrack (recording parts separately) recording. Once I'd got that sorted, the post-recording process began- making the music sound genuinely good. This involves just tweaking the recording in various increments and adding various effects to certain tracks until you have something that sounds really good. Simple as that, but it takes a lot of time and knowledge.

Composing music was with Reason, an amazing program. I wrote a piece for the chase in Gone In 60 Seconds, the Nicolas Cage version. It was the Eleanor chase, and it's more difficult to explain how I did it. Started with drum loops, added instruments I found whilst creatively messing around, and then added to them.

As a bonus unit this year, I studied Words And Music. This was the study of two albums (Pet Sounds by Beach Boys, and What's Going On by Marvin Gaye). They sound a strange mix, but they're easy to compare once you know what you're looking for. We also studied each album in-depth to learn about the motives behind some songs, the recording process and how it changed, and why they are landmark albums. I particularly enjoyed the Marvin Gaye album because it was interesting to learn about the current affairs going on when the album was recorded.

In the first year, you do similar stuff but with a lesser knowledge and to a lesser extent.

General Studies is quite diverse. You study art, maths, science, politics and anything else they can really think of throwing at you. It's not compulsory, but I did it because I do enjoy the world around us and wanted to prove that I could still cut it, maths- and science-wise. Some of the crap they threw at us for the art paper leaves me gasping when I realise I got an A, but the essays you got to write were really fun.

Ask Rik about Photography. Hope those two definitions helped.

well done rik
    May the downforce be with you

Thread Information