Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TRD Aurion Pics

Yes it is an Australia-only Toyota (unless you count a few that will be sold in New Zealand).
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In a completely weird sort of way, the Cadillac Seville and its Northstar V8 do match the Aurion's output.
    Just had a look. The discontinued Seville had 300bhp (224kW). The current FWD Cadillac DTS also uses the Northstar V8 and has 292bhp (219kW).

Toyota isn't exactly making a big deal of the fact the Aurion is one of, if not the most powerful FWD production car though. In fact, I think they're downplaying the fact that its FWD.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    Just had a look. The discontinued Seville had 300bhp (224kW). The current FWD Cadillac DTS also uses the Northstar V8 and has 292bhp (219kW).

Toyota isn't exactly making a big deal of the fact the Aurion is one of, if not the most powerful FWD production car though. In fact, I think they're downplaying the fact that its FWD.
    You're right, I thought they eventually had the newer 325bhp variant.

I can understand why they are not publicising the fact that it's front wheel drive. Despite traction control and ESP and the lot I still think it's not going to be the last word in terms of handling and (especially) steering delicacy. That doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be bad, as you said, but the Commodores and Falcons seem to be a lot cheaper and rear wheel driver and the other european and japanese rivals are either four wheel drive or considerably less powerful.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Good article here as well: TRD launches twin hotties August 2007 Car Review - CarPoint Australia.

Finally, although Toyota is not shouting from the rooftops about this - it seems that the Aurion TRD's main claim to fame is that is in fact the most powerful FWD production car on sale in the world today (and I think of all time).
    I checked before - the Chevrolet Impala SS and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP have 227kW (303bhp) - which is 14kW less than the Aurion.
    I cannot think of anything else that comes close.
    I don't think thats a good thing to have and I would say there is a reason for it. Torque steer. They be able get rid of it at 200kw but 241kw is probably too much.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

When we were at this years Melbourne Motorshow i had to admit it my personal highlight was the TRD Aurion i think but can't remember i think i told MSN i was pretty impressed with it's looks.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Assuming i was in the market for a $60K 4 door sedan, i might look at one as the styling is definately at least interesting, but the lack of power and torque compared to the similarly priced competitors, and the drivetrain disadvantage would be some pretty big drawbacks. I'm not even sure its got as many features as the Aurion Presara, as i believe its specced off the Sportivo AT-X. If they had the more powerful motor, AWD and either about $5K off the price or more equipment then it'd be pretty tempting if you had no brand allegiance. Unfortunately though theres nothing short of a new Supra that is going to get anyone away from a RWD Ford or Holden and into a Toyota dealership.
    I am the Stig

Your right AWD and some Extra torque would be a great start, Also some exclusive feature from TRD would make it a better buy..

And after tonight I'm not even sure if the V6 Aurion is faster then the I6 so with some extra power it's still going to struggle against the XR6T and SS..

Well really, the TRD has torque..its apparently making 300nm from about 1000rpm through the rest of the rev range. The problem is it stops at 400nm. Theres a good possibility that although it might feel torquey to drive, if you thrashed it on an acceleration test, once you got to the top end it might start feeling a bit dead. It wont feel linear which is one thing that people started to say was a good thing about the base Aurion's V6 package, compared to Ford's I6 and its lazy approach with low end torque.
    I am the Stig

Your right there, When MSN took me in the Aurion it felt like a good spread and a little boost in the rev range under full acceleration, And with my brothers car you do feel the lack of low down take off grunt then it will boost hard and you can't miss the feeling it hits you.. Tonight i took the BA to my 0-100 time trail place.. **** it's faster then my brother knows.. No T/C on and in Performance mode with 2 slightly wheel spins in take off it did a 7.2 0-100, That's from a recording on the phone video get home and stop watch it.. Now that's fast and i was very impressed shocked more to be honest.
    It's even more impressive at over 100kmp/h speeds.
    I'll have to upload it when i get my new Virgin BB.

Wish it was RWD. It looks pretty interesting, considering all the Toyotas that we get here are pretty boring. As others have said, it's overpriced. Why go FWD when you can go RWD for less money? I really do like the styling though.

By the way, couldn't you attach the photos instead of leaving them in the link? The mods could then move it into the Hide Out.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Wow, that's really, really nice. Looks good... almost like a Commodore rip-off...
    indeed, but with a worse engine and hybrid versions coming
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Looks hot.

Id buy an AWD manual one
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Well really, the TRD has torque..its apparently making 300nm from about 1000rpm through the rest of the rev range. The problem is it stops at 400nm. Theres a good possibility that although it might feel torquey to drive, if you thrashed it on an acceleration test, once you got to the top end it might start feeling a bit dead. It wont feel linear which is one thing that people started to say was a good thing about the base Aurion's V6 package, compared to Ford's I6 and its lazy approach with low end torque.
    All toyota engines have a characteristic of a very flat torque curve, even my 20 valve on the dyno makes 120nm @ 4000rpm and 127 @ 6600rpm(max torque), even the nephews torque curves on their FI engines are flatter compared to SR,BT or YB Cossie FI engines. I dont know why its so it just is.

About 240kw through the front is all I would want, the electronics will certainly be kept busy on wet and off camber corners.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

The standard Aurion has 200kW through the front-wheels and non-switchable electronics. Torque steer isn't an issue. I suspect the electronics will be employed in the TRD to ensure that torque-steer isn't an issue with 241kW either.
    Unfortunately to make torque steer not an issue most of the 241kw will have to be subdued during heavy acceleration. Therefore part of the benefit of extra power can not be recognised/enjoyed. After you are going it don’t matter too much whether you got 200 or 241kw other than for a bit of spirited overtaking. I have driven a Sportivo and it has more than enough power through those front wheels. Pity the Japs eschew RWD. That would be a very nice and desirable car otherwise.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

$61k is way too much for a performance based camry, lol. i assumed it would be cheaper to compete with the SV8 or something. how much are they expecting to sell at that price?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information