Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doh...

Flat or gloss?
    I am the Stig

Very gloss, was talking to the spray painter today, just working out what hes going to do and how much im going to do myself. Im shelling out for 5 litres of clear, so he reckons two hits of colour and 5 of clear will do it. I cant wait to be honest. Driving my mums BF 2 XR6, which is nice, its the 6 speed auto which is fun, but I miss my old girl, she sounds so much meaner even if she doesnt run as fast. And the standard XR6 stereo is Shite.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Any high gloss black you'll want the panels absolutely straight, otherwise any corners cut will show up in the shine. What skills do you have where you'll be working on it?
    I am the Stig

Ive done a few cars, Im not painting it, im doing the stripping, and priming, and initial rub back, and the spray painter next door to work is doing the finer stuff and paint and buff afterwards. Its a baremetal respray. Front and rear glass is coming out. Big job, but I'm confident. I'll have fotos up during the process if anyones interested in seeing them. Has anyone here had dealings with a company called Fibremaster? they are in sydney I believe. The paint is going to cost about $1500 all up... Saving heaps in labour.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Sounds like it should turn out good, but yeah the gloss could be a bit of a worry. Done perfect, it'll look great. Anything less though and it could ruin it, but at least its a baremetal respray which should eliminate anything hidden.
    I am the Stig

Not much has happened, its all back together allbeit tec screwed and not welded. For whatever reason the front indicators dont work but hey, thats a silly little minor thing. Ive chucked a bunch of pics on my msn space. They arent on here purely because I dont get the photo bucket thing. Goes into to be stripped tommorow, motor out etc. All I can see in the immediate future is sand paper and paint stripper. Thats about it really. Total cost so far is about $1300. Cheap hey.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

thats pretty crazy. just for reference what does 60 kilo's equate to in lbs approximately?

its amazing what these "soft" animals can do to a metal car when you through speed into the equation...my friend once nailed an 1800lb cow at about 50mph in a f-150 and the truck was almost totalled.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

60 KG = ~ 140lb ish.

i like the "almost" totaled element of your story. that's akin to hitting a brick wall at 50mph, yeah, the truck'd be totaled.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    thats pretty crazy. just for reference what does 60 kilo's equate to in lbs approximately?

its amazing what these "soft" animals can do to a metal car when you through speed into the equation...my friend once nailed an 1800lb cow at about 50mph in a f-150 and the truck was almost totalled.
    It's not the softness of a material that determines the damage of an impact ...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It's not the softness of a material that determines the damage of an impact ...
    yah i know its just amazing to think how something like a kangaroo that is just flesh and blood can do so much damage to something like a car.

Yah we were shocked the insureance company didn't declare my friends truck as totalled cause it was pretty jacked up.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Kangaroo's are massively bottom heavy - theyve got massive leg muscles, as well as pretty strong tails. Their upper body is nothing in comparison. Thats where the damage comes, when you hit one they dont fly onto the bonnet or anything.
    I am the Stig

The one I hit did.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Thread Information