Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brakes are talking to me

brakes are talking to me

lately my (I think only left) front brake has been making a squeeky noise.
    but the brake pad warning light indicator thing isn't on yet. Do I need to be worried about this?
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Not at all. It is common on a lot of cars. Both cars in the family here do it, however the Suzuki only at rainy weather. It can have many causes and 9/10 garage's won't be able to fix it. Don't worry. All Citroëns we had the last 10 years did it, louder than speech level with the windows open sometimes.
    Last edited by drakkie; 10-03-2007 at 02:09 PM.

it happened all of a sudden

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    it happened all of a sudden
    I don't know what caused it and when for us on the Cit's, but it is just there all the time.

Does it sound only when you press the pedal ? Does it sound constantly or with slight stops in it (indicating bent discs). Does the feel of the pedal vary ? Do you feel a difference at a certain speed in the balance of your car, like unbalanced wheels ?

It never hurts to check it out offcourse, but if you shouldn't... From what I read somewhere long ago it was one of the main things that a dealership had to deal with. Rarely finding a cause for it.. They couldn't in our case either, they replaced all discs and pads under warranty, but after a week it was back.

its when I touch the pedal, its conastantly there, but if I push hard it goes away... I am 99% certain that nothing is bent or unbalanced

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    its when I touch the pedal, its conastantly there, but if I push hard it goes away... I am 99% certain that nothing is bent or unbalanced
    Ok. Seems quite equal to our complaints. I have to be honest and say I can't help you any more on this. Good luck with it, I hope others here can be of assistance.

Try cleaning the dust off of them or greasing the piston that pushes the pad against the rotor. Just don't be an idiot and grease the pads themselves. Squeaking noises are usually high pitched vibrations, like metal on metal as a result of little or no lubricants.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

It also may be that the brakes are rusted. Most dealers will tell you that new car's brakes squeak because they were washed and then just left sitting on the lot, thus the water rusted on the brakes. If you've washed your car lately, or its rained recently and you left it outside, that might very well be your problem. I bought a car about a year ago with the very same problem, except with both front brakes, the dealer told me just to ride the brakes for a couple days, and that would fix it, hasn't yet tho.

I know that the engineering god has spoken, but I have found that pulling the pads, blasting them with some disc brake cleaner and then the application of an incredibly fine smear of high temp grease to the areas they contact the callipers works wonders.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    I know that the engineering god has spoken, but I have found that pulling the pads, blasting them with some disc brake cleaner and then the application of an incredibly fine smear of high temp grease to the areas they contact the callipers works wonders.

Yes ! I use CopaSlip.
    Furthermore, I have found that rust formation on the upper an lower locating lugs of the pads can cause the pads to stick in the caliper, causing the backing plate to bend slightly on light brake applications, causing a vibration and resonance.File away the rust...
    Also what I do with brake pads with a split in the middle, is to chamfer ( with a file) the split.

File the edges of the pads. Use a wire wheel to get rid of any oxidation. Grease the point where the pad slides on the caliper.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Ive got the same thing when i turn...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    Ive got the same thing when i turn...
    If it makes a noise when you turn, it usually means your wheel bearings are shot.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    If it makes a noise when you turn, it usually means your wheel bearings are shot.
    Win...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

the noise has gone away now, and I didn't do a thing to it.... weird

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Thread Information