Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lexus IS220d

27 87.10%
  • Peugeot 407 Coupé 2.0 HDi

4 12.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lexus IS220d vs Peugeot 407 Coupé 2.0 HDi

The 407 only exists in 2.0 HDi 136 and the 2.7 204 V6 (and 2.2 and 3.0 petrol.. petrol is not an option). And the V6 is out of budget. Unfortunately. If the V6 would be an option then the choice would be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The 407 only exists in 2.0 HDi 136 and the 2.7 204 V6 (and 2.2 and 3.0 petrol.. petrol is not an option). And the V6 is out of budget. Unfortunately. If the V6 would be an option then the choice would be pretty easy.
    strange indeed. but, as you are comparing a 4 door Lexus with a 2-door Peugeot, why not go for the 407 GT, which does come with the 2.2 Hdi. (or for beauty try a second hand 406 Coupe 2.2Hdi, as the current one is ugly in my eyes )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's a leasing car so a second hand is no option... She's not going to pass on a free car and buy a second hand one herself. Especially if passing on the leasing car has no influence on her actual pay, in the old days passing on your lease car would mean a significant raise. Those times are over.
    She's not interested in the normal 407. The only reason that she considers a Peugeot is because it's a coupé that's within budget. All other forms of french cars are actually out of the question.

I
    She's not interested in the normal 407. The only reason that she considers a Peugeot is because it's a coupé that's within budget. All other forms of french cars are actually out of the question.
    I rest my case
    The Lexus also has an NOx filter isn't it? Would make it the obvious choice, also because of the power difference.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I rest my case
    The Lexus also has an NOx filter isn't it? Would make it the obvious choice, also because of the power difference.
    The 407 is FAP as well. The Lexus doesn't get it's claimed power ratings apparantly. According to some test it only does 155bhp. Either way it's more powerfull than the 407 BUT the Lexus is handycapped by it's gearbox. The 6th gear is wayyy to long (it's usefull at +150kmh) and so are first and second which means very slooooww starts.

The 407 is FAP as well.
    NOx filter is different from the particulates filter, Lexus has both AFAIK, Peugeot only FAP.

Could you explain why ?

Sure, technically it's better and it's probably more reliable. If it were a car that we would buy ourselves then it would be the Lexus without a doubt. But this car comes with free maintenance, repair and gas... So reliability isn't extremely unimportant. It's not as if the pug will break down every 1000kms. After 45 months it will be gone.
    If you look at interior quality then you'll see that the lexus is a little bit better but it does have cheap-looking plastics.
    Well you gave me a nice head start, but i'll had a few more pros for the lexus, looks, dynamics, RWD, Interior goodies, it's the only choice between thoose 2, IMO ofc.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Lexus or S60. And hold your mom by the neck with a knife and ask her to go test drive the new A4.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Lexus or S60. And hold your mom by the neck with a knife and ask her to go test drive the new A4.
    S60 is out of budget because leasing companies don't like Volvo's. They have relatively low resale value and high CO2 output. When comparing normal catalogue prices the S60 should be completely within budget but for some reason it isn't. Except for the most basic version, and she does require some luxury.
    Audi is not an option for her at all, sorry.
    We're now in contact with a BMW fleet sales manager who can maybe quote us a good price on a 320d Coupé tough.

Small update: It's now between a 520d and a 320d Coupé. I'd like the coupé but my mom isn't convinced. The 5-series is far more comfortable. The 3 coupé offers more speed and equipment for the same price though. Decision is going to be made in the following days.

Get the 520d. two words- insane torque.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Perhaps....But it's a 5 series. and they look like pot.

and it's the worlds most poverty-pack BMW at that. If your mother does select this car, make sure she also selects the "badge delete" option.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

and the M package-thingy so it at least looks like an M5.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

The M-package is way out of budget and pretty useless, the only thing it does is add a bodykit and make the car less comfortable. IMHO the only valuable option in the M-pack is are the sports seats.

It'll probably be a 520d business line (navi pro and leather and some other stuff) with xenon lights and some other small options. Maybe some sports seats as well but she doesn't really care about them. She doesn't want to add too much stuff since you have to pay the amount that's over budget yourself, every month for 45 months. She thinks it's ridiculous to dump money into a leasing car you could otherwise get for free.

The reason for getting the 2 liter is because of the tax-system over here. Probably 75% of 5-series on the road are 520d's. 20% 530d and 525d's (mostly privately owned) and 5% petrol engines (all privately owned). I guess that more than 90% of leased BMWs are 318d, 320d and 520d models.
    And the 520d is very clean with it's 132 or 134g/km of CO2 which means more budget for extra equipment. (the 320d does 128g/km, which is really low)

She is getting the badge delete for esthetic reasons, not for snob reasons.

And the 520d is very clean with it's 132 or 134g/km of CO2 which means more budget for extra equipment. (the 320d does 128g/km, which is really low)
    the figures in "our" Autoweek database ar 158 and 153 g/km respectively....still low, but not so extreme as yours...(the C5 2.2 twin turbo engine, funnily not available in the 407 Coupe, is rated at 165 gkm)
    Last edited by henk4; 10-24-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Thread Information