Thread: Hong Kong's pollution stops Batman.

Hong Kong's pollution stops Batman.

Zap! Pow! Batman hit by Hong Kong pollution
    Posted Sun Nov 4, 2007 9:51am PST

HONG KONG (AFP) - Batman might cut a superhuman figure as he fights off evil-doers to save the world, but Hong Kong's polluted harbour is, apparently, one death-defying stunt too far.

Producers shooting the next Batman movie have been forced to cut one scene involving the caped crusader -- played by Christian Bale -- jumping out of a plane into the city's famed Victoria Harbour.

According to the South China Morning Post, producers felt the poor water quality was just too dangerous for the action hero when shooting for part of the film takes place here in the coming week.

Citing two unidentified production sources, it said the stunt had now been taken off the shooting list for "The Dark Knight," the sequel to the 2005 hit "Batman Begins" and the latest in the blockbuster franchise.

"There was supposed to be a scene where Batman jumps out of the back of a Hercules C-130 and into Victoria Harbour," one source was quoted as saying.

"The plan was for Batman to be seen jumping into the water and then climbing up some bamboo, or something similar, onto a pier.

"But when they checked a water sample, they found all sorts of things, salmonella and tuberculosis, so it was cancelled. Now the action will cut to inside a building," the source added.

A spokeswoman for October Pictures, the Hong Kong production company which is managing the shoot, would not comment on the report.

A spokeswoman for Hong Kong's Environmental Protection Department admitted that harbour water was not suitable for swimming due to untreated sewage, the newspaper said.

As well as poor water, Hong Kong also suffers from air pollution that on many days leaves the city clouded in haze, partly caused by local power plants and emissions from factories in the neighbouring Pearl River Delta region in southern China.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

I'm not surprised at all. When I was there I felt like there was a heavy weight on my chest from all the pollution. It was "harder" to breathe there than it was here in NY. Also, the double decker buses have poor emissions and you see black smoke spewing from the tailpipes all the time. It actually left a black residue on my face and every once in a while I had to wipe it off. Wonderful city, but horrible environmental conditions. I've heard Beijing is worse off than HK.

yet, i don't know one asian person with asthma
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

I think the pollution in places such as China, Hong Kong, and other rapidly-developing countries is horrible and yet I feel hypocritical in saying they should change their policies. The United States, UK and many other nations were just as horribly dirty 100-150 years ago. I believe these countries have to pass through their revolution before they can begin to make their methods more environmentally friendly.

150 years ago, people didn't know any better. Now we do. There's no excuse for it.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

People swim in Hong Kong Harbour every day.

they are being overly safe about it.

Hong Kong especially is getting cleaned up significantly since the whole environmental thing came to the fore. I think it's a pretty lame excuse just to do some CGI.......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

no matter what

BATMAN rules
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

We've found his weakness though.

Superman Had Krypton, Batman has Hong Kong Water.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

weak... all it takes is polluted water to fend off batman? geez
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

salmonela > Batman
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    150 years ago, people didn't know any better. Now we do. There's no excuse for it.
    150 years ago people didn't know smog was bad for you?? i highly doubt that
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

This is a fact so im not going to hide it. Karachi also has a lot of water and air pollution. theres this huge waste dump outside the city where garbage is burned everyday and the wind carries it over the plains into the city. It really creates a lot of breathing problems and even reduces visibility.
    As for water pollution, the sewers haven been cleaned for 60 years so the water just overflows onto the streets. the main sewage water flows through the city in a canal which is uncovered for miles.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Quote Originally Posted by tallguynate View Post
    I think the pollution in places such as China, Hong Kong, and other rapidly-developing countries is horrible and yet I feel hypocritical in saying they should change their policies. The United States, UK and many other nations were just as horribly dirty 100-150 years ago. I believe these countries have to pass through their revolution before they can begin to make their methods more environmentally friendly.
    Have you seen Hong Kong? It's not really linked to China (think Monaco or Vatican City) I wouldn't say it was rapidly-developing, it's already developed into a pretty modern city.

Compared to the crap in China, what goes on there is ten times better.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Have you seen Hong Kong? It's not really linked to China (think Monaco or Vatican City) I wouldn't say it was rapidly-developing, it's already developed into a pretty modern city.

Yeah, but the population density for Hong Kong is still pretty high.

China's even worse. When my cousins went to visit her hometown, people have no idea what the word "sanitary" means. That meant that their sewer, drinking, and washing water was all the nearest river. Tell me about scary. My cousins reported back that that night their dinner was made from water taken directly from there and that night's garbage was also flung back into the river. Needless to say, my cousin luckily only stayed there for one night.

I have no idea why people are so stupid. We are in the 21st century right now and people have no idea how to control/look after their wastes and stuff. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post

yes, you are comparing an heavily urbanized city to an entire country. if you compare the cities, it is not "ten times better". and it is not "a pretty modern city" in the economic sense. you do not know what you are talking about. you only compare the glorified characteristics of each places.

Thread Information