Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New, lighter-weight Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR

Autocross: Viper ACR and Challenger SRT8

June 27, 2008

Autoblog autocrosses the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and Viper ACR - Autoblog
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

how much does the viper's V10 wiegh?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's gotta be pretty heavy, since I think it's based on a truck engine.

I see this come up quite a bit, thought I would clear it up. The original engine weighed about 700lbs(Gen I), I hear the new one weighs closer to 500-600.

Taken from Autoblog:
    The original V10 was reportedly built with the involvement of Lamborghini, which was partly owned by Chrysler at the time; the basic engineering was of course Chrysler’s, since it was based on the venerable 360, but Lamborghini worked on the cooling system, crankshaft balance, weight reduction, and fine tuning; the Italian automaker’s expertise in aluminum was also tapped, since the Viper had an aluminum block to save roughly 150 pounds of weight. Unique features of the Viper version of the V-10, versus the truck engine, included a low-profile cross-ram intake with dual throttle bodies, the manifolds, oil pan, heads, and accessory drive; the compression ratio was raised, the pistons lightened, the maximum engine speed increased, the valves enlarged, the rods and crank strengthened. In the end, few components were shared with the truck engine.

Whoops.

I'm still not happy with the weight of the car. A standard SRT-10 Coupe weighs 3440, but with the ACR its 80lbs less. Still I wish the car was more around 3200-3000. That would be very agile.

That's similar to the weight saving between the 911 GT3 and the RS. Not very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    I see this come up quite a bit, thought I would clear it up. The original engine weighed about 700lbs(Gen I), I hear the new one weighs closer to 500-600.

Taken from Autoblog:
    The original V10 was reportedly built with the involvement of Lamborghini, which was partly owned by Chrysler at the time; the basic engineering was of course Chrysler’s, since it was based on the venerable 360, but Lamborghini worked on the cooling system, crankshaft balance, weight reduction, and fine tuning; the Italian automaker’s expertise in aluminum was also tapped, since the Viper had an aluminum block to save roughly 150 pounds of weight. Unique features of the Viper version of the V-10, versus the truck engine, included a low-profile cross-ram intake with dual throttle bodies, the manifolds, oil pan, heads, and accessory drive; the compression ratio was raised, the pistons lightened, the maximum engine speed increased, the valves enlarged, the rods and crank strengthened. In the end, few components were shared with the truck engine.
    thats not too bad at all really, i figured originally the truck engine would have been an anchor, not bad to bring it down to 500-600.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Also, The GEN I and GEN II engines shared similar architectures. If memory serves correct the GEN III (MY '03-'06) Viper had a new engine (block, heads, intake etc.) The '08 Vipers are considered GEN IV. All the improvements are beneath the skin (except the hood). SRT, with the help of several firms, improved the Viper where it matters most, the drive-train. The new engine was further refined, and is now rated at 23 mpg highway at 600 hp.

The lazy and uninformed believe the Viper has not changed over the years. Comments about truck engines just aren't accurate, but they persist. Even automotive journalists continue to call the Viper's engine a truck engine eventhough it isn't true. The Viper may be crude and unsophisticated, but to Viper enthusiasts it's part of its charm. Too bad this will probably be the last generation of the Viper. I hoped to see an aluminum chassised Viper weighing in around 3100 lbs and 620 hp.
    Last edited by evile; 07-13-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evile View Post
    Also, The GEN I and GEN II engines shared similar architectures. If memory serves correct the GEN III (MY '03-'06) Viper had a new engine (block, heads, intake etc.) The '08 Vipers are considered GEN IV. All the improvements are beneath the skin (except the hood). SRT, with the help of several firms, improved the Viper where it matters most, the drive-train. The new engine was further refined, and is now rated at 23 mpg highway at 600 hp.

The lazy and uninformed believe the Viper has not changed over the years. Comments about truck engines just aren't accurate, but they persist. Even automotive journalists continue to call the Viper's engine a truck engine eventhough it isn't true. The Viper may be crude and unsophisticated, but to Viper enthusiasts it's part of its charm. Too bad this will probably be the last generation of the Viper. I hoped to see an aluminum chassised Viper weighing in around 3100 lbs and 620 hp.
    Thanks for chiming in with your information. I have heard mixed things about this being the last generation of Viper. I think this is it though.

Thanks for chiming in with your information. I have heard mixed things about this being the last generation of Viper. I think this is it though.
    Well if Chrysler wants to survive they'd better concentrate on making decent bread and butter cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's all speculation for now, but there isn't any guarantee we will see Vipers beyond 2011. Ferrer is right. Chrysler is hurting and they need to find the right combination of affordable, high quality and fuel efficient cars in order to survive.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for the "Big Three" to make profitable small cars due to legacy costs (labor, pensions, healthcare etc.) The Japanese and Korean automakers do not have the same burden as their US competitors.

Without the legacy cost their margin per car is much greater. They make a higher profit on smaller cars, and they can afford to select higher quality materials and components. Also, it gives them the revenue to develop newer technologies.

Trucks, SUVs and mini-vans are important to US manaufacturers because they are more profitable. Often they barely break even or even loose money on smaller cars. Unfortunately, no one saw $4.00+/gallon gasoline coming. All the manufacturers, including the Asians and Europeans, have been caught off guard. Soon, we'll all be driving Smart Cars and Minis. I just cannot imagine drivng a Prius.

And on top all of that Chrysler has a lineup more oriented towards big cars and SUVs than GM and Ford. Which means that expensive petrol hurts them more than the others.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Considering Ford manufactures the F-Series of trucks - some of the best selling vehicles ever - and GM has both GMC & Hummer vehicle lines, I'm not entirely sure where you're pulling that from, Ferrer.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

chrysler does have jeep though, an entire sub-brand dedicated to failure and inadequacy. oh, and they make SUV's too.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 07-14-2008 at 05:28 AM.

Thread Information