Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter precautions

winter precautions

winter is finally here,however exams are near too, so the GTI is going to be stationary outside for at least a month .
    simple questions: Can this do bad things to the car? battery will probably be flat, If I recharge it will it affect the batteries "performance"?
    or does the winter act like a deepfreezer? => conserving the car
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    winter is finally here,however exams are near too, so the GTI is going to be stationary outside for at least a month .
    simple questions: Can this do bad things to the car? battery will probably be flat, If I recharge it will it affect the batteries "performance"?
    People here 'plug' their cars into an electricity source, so the battery never goes flat. Winter doesn't act like a deep freezer unfortunately, I've seen a lot of cars that were in perfect running order that needed to be jump started because the temperature was too cold for two days or so... but that's under extreme conditions.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

i doubt your battery will be flat after a month, if so , its time for a new one dude.

i wish you were right about winter deepfreezing your car, its more like a deepfrier. unfortunatly all the crap they throw on the roads to melt the ice will corode your car. thas why a 10-15yearold car in cold countries is usually in a worst shape than a car the same age in a warmer country.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    People here 'plug' their cars into an electricity source, so the battery never goes flat. Winter doesn't act like a deep freezer unfortunately, I've seen a lot of cars that were in perfect running order that needed to be jump started because the temperature was too cold for two days or so... but that's under extreme conditions.
    ironically this happened to my girlfriend yesterday. She's got a 3 day old Kia Picanto and when she went to start her car to go to work the battery was totally flat. Since the car has obviously been sitting around in a warehouse/showroom for a while, plus the VERY cold weather we're having this winter. Eventually the battery was identified as faulty and we had to get the repair service out to charge it up enough for us to drive to the garage and get it replaced.

Winter tips = park your car in a garage!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    i doubt your battery will be flat after a month, if so , its time for a new one dude.

i wish you were right about winter deepfreezing your car, its more like a deepfrier. unfortunatly all the crap they throw on the roads to melt the ice will corode your car. thas why a 10-15yearold car in cold countries is usually in a worst shape than a car the same age in a warmer country.
    It won't be driving on the salty roads, and winter isn't that harsh over here.
    it is freezing -3 for a week here , it probably won't last for a month though.
    I was always told that the cold and batteries didn't go together al that well.

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    expensive

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

It's not necessary really, our cars always sat outside in the driveway and withstood freezing temperatures (we're talking -20C and colder in January). Old cars are generally plugged in an electricity source so they start without problems in the morning, but newer cars won't have a problem starting. Of course a garage would be nice, but hey, we don't all have money sleeping in a bank account somewhere
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

In theory a Lithium battery even gets better performance when it's cold But as most cars are not yet equipped with that..

We have a thing called a start booster. When plugged onto the battery it charges it really quickly ! Ideal for winter conditions.

Make sure your alarm is disabled before leaving it. It uses a tiny current, but over a longer time it is enough to completely drain it.

Not always the best solution, if temperature stays sub zero for a longer period and there's snow. The snow get's everywhere under the car and melts when it's brought to a warm garage. Then it's taken out for a drive again and it gathers snow again, and the same happens again and again. It's better to stay frozen for a longer time than freeze and melt it many times.

As for the battery, and also the fluids, it's better to drive the car sometimes to let it warm and dry up than let it stand outside. Personally I've never had problems with battery going flat because of coldness, and we often have weeks of -20...-10 C, lowest usually being around -30. The trick is to just drive it and thus let it load every once in a while.

A heater in the engine is obviously handy, it keeps the fluids... well, fluids and the engine obviously starts up better when it's warm. But I doubt they install those in less cold countries.

Edit: I've found the locks a bigger problem, though with the 206 they haven't frozen once. But melting them has it's own tricks again.
    Last edited by twinspark; 12-22-2007 at 09:41 AM.

It won't be driving on the salty roads, and winter isn't that harsh over here.
    it is freezing -3 for a week here , it probably won't last for a month though.
    I was always told that the cold and batteries didn't go together al that well.
    Dude, im talking -20 an sometimes more, completely buried under snow, stopped for 2 weeks and still working... on a 92 civic.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

plus the VERY cold weather we're having this winter.
    Damn global warming.

Also, why does it cost money to park in your garage?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Also, why does it cost money to park in your garage?
    because I don't have a garage, I could rent one if I had money.

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

How much are they? I'm assuming it's a heated garage?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

lol @ winter
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    lol @ winter
    It's not funny clutch!!

Your car should be fine for a month ripper. Go start it once a week if you get scared.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information