Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: "The 10 Worst Muscle Cars Of All Time"

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    I can't do that with my car because it has not been to a track either before or after the shift kit.
    If your claim were true then the internet and the various auto magazines would be packed full of DOCUMENTED EXAMPLES of cars that experienced huge improvements (e.g. 8/10ths of a second) in 0 - 60 times and ET due solely to the installation of a shift kit.

Show me one.
    Last edited by harddrivin1le; 02-20-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harddrivin1le View Post
    The width of his speedo needle equates to a greater margin than 1/10th of second.

Review is various posts over on his "under rated musclecar" thread and you'll see that he has no actual understanding of vehicle performance.
    Lol. You should talk. As is known all over the Intenet, you rely 100% on magazines. I believe the term is "magazine racer."
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

If your claim were true then the internet and the various auto magazines would be packed full of DOCUMENTED EXAMPLES of cars that experienced huge improvements (e.g. 8/10ths of a second) in 0 - 60 times and ET due solely to the installation of a shift kit.

Show me one.
    Then you should be able to find it real easy!

Lol. You should talk. As is known all over the Intenet, you rely 100% on magazines. I believe the term is "magazine racer."
    Not true.

I have owned many fast cars, including a modified 12 second LS1 Camaro, two 5.0 Mustangs, a Taurus SHO and an Acura TL Type S (my current car, which isn't really "fast" by modern standards but would have have been near the top of the roster in 1970.)

The fastest car you have ever owned is a 38 year old, 17 second, 5,000 pound boat that would get its doors blown off my most modern econoboxes.

Plus, I have a deep understanding of math, physics and engineering as they apply to vehicle performance. You do not.

Your claim that I "rely 100% on magazines" is therefore highly erroneous.
    Last edited by harddrivin1le; 02-20-2008 at 03:46 PM.

My 472 makes tons more torque than your engine. And I keep telling you, calling my car a boat is a compliment! Although I prefer "Luxury Land Yacht."
    I don't think that alone is relevant. The Mini Cooper S has 220Nm and the BMW 118d 300Nm yet the Mini is faster in any gear at any speed.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't think that alone is relevant. The Mini Cooper S has 220Nm and the BMW 118d 300Nm yet the Mini is faster in any gear at any speed.
    It isn't relevant. REAR WHEEL torque at any (and all) vehicle speed(s) is what matters and that's dictated solely by engine HORSEPOWER and gearing.

I have attempted to explain that to him in multiple occasions by posting links that address the subject as well as real world examples of fast cars that have very little torque (but favorable POWER to weight ratios).

His learning disability prevents him from comprehending the subject matter, so he just keeps repeating the same inane crap over and over again.

Examples:

1) Yaw Power Products / Where Performance Meets Technology

2) http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1203549858
    Last edited by harddrivin1le; 02-21-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Not true

I have owned many fast cars, including a modified 12 second LS1 Camaro, two 5.0 Mustangs, a Taurus SHO and an Acura TL Type S (my current car, which isn't really "fast" by modern standards but would have have been near the top of the roster in 1970.)
    Strange. I could have sworn that you said you estimated your Camaro runs 12s... that you never actually took it to the track.
    And you can keep your funny-looking Acura. I like not only powerful cars, but normal-looking cars!

The fastest car you have ever owned is a 38 year old, 17 second, 5,000 pound boat that would get its doors blown off my most modern econoboxes.
    I have driven a friend's '69 Ford Fairlane w/428 Cobra Jet engine. Lol. "Boat" again. Some car enthusiasts LIKE boats! Let's see if those modern econoboxes last 40 years!

Plus, I have a deep understanding of math, physics and engineering as they apply to vehicle performance. You do not.
    Then you should be right more often!

Your claim that I "rely 100% on magazines" is therefore highly erroneous
    How many runs have you made at the drag strip in your cars?

It isn't relevant. REAR WHEEL torque at any (and all) vehicle speed(s) is what matters and that's dictated solely by engine HORSEPOWER and gearing.

I have attempted to explain that to him in multiple occasions by posting links that address the subject as well as real world examples of fast cars that have very little torque (but favorable POWER to weight ratios).

His learning disability prevents him from comprehending the subject matter, so he just keeps repeating the same inane crap over and over again.

Examples:

1) Yaw Power Products / Where Performance Meets Technology

2)

Let's not go through this again.
    Torque is a big factor for acceleration. If you don't believe me, just talk to any 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 owner!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Those things have an extremely low 1st gear ratio (like 4.00:1) and weigh a lot less than my '69 Cad.
    Put a 2.48:1 1st gear in a Mini with a 2.94:1 axle ratio and see how it goes then.

As for this whole torque/horsepower argument, it seems to me that big torque at low rpms means higher hp at lower rpms and thus higher wheel torque throughout the rev range.

Why don't you stop SPECULATING on the "performance" of your Cadillac and go run it on an actual drag-strip?
    Because like I've already said, I don't really want to race with a 39-year-old, non-rebuilt engine. And as I've also already said, chances are excellent that the engine will be just fine, but there's always that possibility. And 39 years is very old for an engine.

Shift kits buy next to nothing in terms of objective performance gains and they significantly reduce transmission life by raising line pressures and increasing internal shock loads during upshifts:

. Yank Performance . FAQ

"Is a shift kit required or recommended?

Yank Performance Converters can achieve maximum performance and efficiency without the use of shift kits. Shift kits dramatically raise transmission line pressure to increase shift firmness. Increased shift firmness will not increase performance, but create unnecessary stress on the transmission and other drive-line components."
    Where did you find that strange website? It goes against what all I've read in muscle car magazines.
    It also contradicts the TransGo website:
    Question: Will the installation of a TransGo shift kit hurt my transmission?

Answer: On the contrary, the TransGo Performance shift kit will improve durability by increasing friction component apply/holding ability. This reduces heat build-up that harms friction components and at the same time increases cooling and lube flow in the transmission.

You are aware that excessive heat is the #1 cause of transmission failure?

Because like I've already said, I don't really want to race with a 39-year-old, non-rebuilt engine. And as I've also already said, chances are excellent that the engine will be just fine, but there's always that possibility. And 39 years is very old for an engine.
    Oh ye of little faith, if these engines are so good, prove it.

Shut us up once and for all.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Oh ye of little faith, if these engines are so good, prove it.

Shut us up once and for all.
    You can't blame me, really. There are good engines, but a 4- or 5-year old engine can take stress better than a 39-year-old engine. Especially when they are not even meant for drag racing.

But, as I said, I may do it anyway sometime!

Those things have an extremely low 1st gear ratio (like 4.00:1) and weigh a lot less than my '69 Cad.
    Put a 2.48:1 1st gear in a Mini with a 2.94:1 axle ratio and see how it goes then.
    What I meant is that the less torquey (but more powerful) Mini is faster than the more torquey (albeit less powerful) BMW.

The point is, torque alone does nothing. You have consider many other factors to discuss the performance of a car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Torque is a big factor for acceleration. If you don't believe me, just talk to any 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 owner!
    Saying it won't make it so and neither will the words of another ignorant person - particularly when the opposite can be readily proven by real world examples and some basic physics.

This BMW M3, for example, is very comparable to the Buick in terms of both ACTUAL power (333 NET HP) and weight (3,838 pounds curb) and is therefore very comparable in terms of acceleration (1/4 mile 13.7 @ 104 MPH) - despite the fact that it produces a mere 262 FT-LB of torque. The BMW is actually FASTER than the '70 Olds W30 and the '70 Pontiac GTO 455!

BMW M3 Convertible - Short Take Road Test / Sports Car Central / High Performance / Hot Lists / Reviews / Car and Driver - Car And Driver

You should recognize this, since you posted the very same image (from "Hot Cars" magazine) not all that long ago in another thread when attempting to prove how incredibly fast those cars were.

The reason that is so is explained here for the benefit of those who are able to read and comprehend some basic math:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1203626480

Horsepower v torque

Yaw Power Products / Where Performance Meets Technology

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/D...orqueVsHP.html

Mazda6Tech - Horsepower, Torque, and Gearing

Yet another guide to Torque versus Horsepower versus Acceleration
    Last edited by harddrivin1le; 02-21-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Thread Information