Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Loses The Australian GP

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBoy View Post
    It's a beautiful circuit, that's for sure. Just one thing...
    ...it's got lights, hasn't it?
    I don't think it does i didn't see any, But that doesn't mean they cant be brought in very easily.

But still crowds will be an issue getting into the track and leaving it.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Lindsay Fox would undoubtedly work on the roads coming out of Phillip Island if Bernie wanted to hold the race there. He's willing to upgrade whatever parts of the track need changing if it means holding an F1 race. Hopefuly whatever might be done to the circuit layout isnt irrepairable for the sake of anybody else wanting to race there.
    Of course rembering bernie requres 3 doctors to keep his black heart beating and to give him b12 shots he also requires a room made of solid gold and not to mention a landing pad for his Chinhook....

Im sure hes keen and im sure hell splash out but i seriously doubt he could afford what bernie would want
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    But getting into the track and then out is misery, There is only one bridge to get out and that is 2 lanes only. Traffic would be a nightmare.
    That bridge is the crucible, isn't it. No matter how much tinkering around the edges there is to improve access to the circuit, the fact remains that unless Fox (or the govt) ponies up the multi-millions to build another bridge across to the island there just isn't the logistical capacity to shift a sufficient number of race goers to PI
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    At the moment, it is ridiculous that people are asked not to sleep in order to see it.
    Despite enduring years after year of loyally dragging myself out of bed at ridiculous hours like 3 and 4 am to watch his often boring and processional races I guess I just don't rate as one of Bernie's 'people'
    [Bernie] "I've spoken to Kevin Rudd and he's told me it would cost too much to restage the race, so I guess that's it. We won't be going to Australia for too much longer."

[Prime Minister's office] it was unaware of any conversation between the two men and Walker and Eccelstone must have made a mistake if he said they had spoken.

Apparently, the organisers are willing to hold the Australian GP at 5 PM.

goddamn i hate bernie. such a cock slapper, ruling his circus like a self important playschool dictator
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

According to SMH Sydney Mr Iemma wants it at eastern creek, but who knows how much he is willing to spend. Or wether its even able to be done.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Iemma doesnt necessarily want the race, he just wants it off Melbourne so they dont have it.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Apparently, the organisers are willing to hold the Australian GP at 5 PM.
    And Bernie's response is a big fat "NO" - Formula One news: New time frame won't save Australian Grand Prix - GPUpdate.net Formula One

It seems that he wants the race to start in Oz at about 1am. I'm sure that'll go down well with the locals.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Bernie cares about one man only bernie.

He doesnt care what commoners like as long as he sells his product.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

I wish one day the manufacturers, teams and venues would stick it up to Bernie and the FIA for all they have done in the past decade or so and create a paralel series with decent racing.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

So he wants it to start at midday or 2pm for European viewers.

Now, Please don't call me stupid, but isn't most of the market for these races inclusive of the Middle East and Asia, both of which would not be served brilliantly by changing these times?

Bluntly, If this F1GP makes a loss, It can go screw itself. There is no point if it's not going to serve the needs of melbourne.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    That bridge is the crucible, isn't it. No matter how much tinkering around the edges there is to improve access to the circuit, the fact remains that unless Fox (or the govt) ponies up the multi-millions to build another bridge across to the island there just isn't the logistical capacity to shift a sufficient number of race goers to PI
    I think so?, It's that long and small it's a shocker, They do need atleast a 4 lane bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Despite enduring years after year of loyally dragging myself out of bed at ridiculous hours like 3 and 4 am to watch his often boring and processional races I guess I just don't rate as one of Bernie's 'people'
    I here you.. I have done the same myself only to get up boring race Maclaren or Ferrari dominate 1 man show as always then i cant sleep up till daylight the whole day is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo View Post
    I wish one day the manufacturers, teams and venues would stick it up to Bernie and the FIA for all they have done in the past decade or so and create a paralel series with decent racing.
    Isn't this what happen to Indy cars?.. The baseball strike was a beauty!, The fans rejected them when they came back, Maybe we should do the same?.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

If the Indy/CART split is anything to go by, you go from having one decent championship to having 2 substandard ones. The best teams split, the drivers split, the tracks split and most crucially the sponsorship splits. From there, they all just tend to wilt away.

Only a few years ago there was the threat of the GPMA breakaway, but it was only ever a threat. The teams simply wanted more TV money from Bernie and lower running costs. Theres been others, even the FOCA/FISA incident which brought about the FIA selling the commercial rights to the sport.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo View Post
    their trying thats what A1 tryed to do and its great in theory but the at times 2nd rate drivers and the newness of the sport just isnt getting the people in...

CART and irl have potential but they need to work together if they weant to stick it too f1 an i think you have more chace of seeing god then that happening.

I dont think A1GP's ever tried to rival F1. Theyre only racing F3/GP2 equivalent machinery, and their whole structure is totally different to most other open wheel formulas by teams representing a country.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information