Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakthrough Tech or Breakthrough Scam?

Up there with dihydrogen monoxide as a fuel
    Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)
    What is Dihydrogen Monoxide?
    Dihydrogen Monoxide:
    The dangers, uses and potential threats posed by this chemical, Dihydrogen Monoxide, are widespread, and some feel, terrifying. Here is just a small taste of what Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is:
    Some call Dihydrogen Monoxide the "Invisible Killer"
    Others think dihydrogen monoxide should be Banned
    Dihydrogen Monoxide is linked to gun violence
    Dihydrogen monoxide was found at every recent school shooting
    Athletes use DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE, or DHMO, to enhance performance
    Dihydrogen Monoxide has been found in our rivers, lakes, oceans and streams
    Dihydrogen Monoxide is a major component of acid rain
    Thousands die each year after inhaling dihydrogen monoxide
    Dihydrogen Monoxide can be deadly
    Find out the truth about Dihydrogen Monoxide
    Visit Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info to find out more
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It also says that the exhaust is burned in the cat, "It works by breaking down the large gas molecules that were not burned in your engine and turns them into smaller particles that can be burned in your tailpipe before being released into the air, so less exhaust hits the environment."

Also the video is just a compressor. The 'exhaust pipe' that he is breathing in in the video also goes to the 'fuel'(cough) which is being pushed by the air.

SCAM
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Seems like yet ANOTHER "Get Mileage Quick" scheme...

Things that immediately look suspicious:

"Every car has a Catalytic Converter" - False
    "five times the gas mileage!" - Doubtable, highly doubtable

Other things that make me wonder just a bit are the high amount of "!", "Save now!" and especially the liberal use of supposed scientific claims, formulas and percentages.

Lastly, as one of my favorite motoring magazines once summed it up, if this product is truly as incredible as its makers claim, why then haven't any motoring manufacturers, oil companies or automotive suppliers incorporated something similar in their products? Especially considering they spend billions and hire the cream of the crop engineers and scientists...

I call BS.

EDIT: Or pretty much what most other posters in this thread already said
    Last edited by Kooper; 04-10-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Surely it is obvious that this is not true. They want me to add another catalytic converter? HA HA Please, I don't want the one I have on there now! The 'science' mumbo jumbo on the site reads like a Christmas cracker joke page. At one point they say efficiency increased by 9 times. A normal combustion engine runs at 15% efficiency... I would not be surprised if the company CEO was also a yogic flying wizard of Oz. My question is why are these kinds of posts even allowed, when they bring down the quality of the forum as a whole?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikefast View Post
    My question is why are these kinds of posts even allowed, when they bring down the quality of the forum as a whole?
    Well...it is a semi-public forum, it follows the rules, and he wants to know how true this is, so...yeah, it's ok.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Surely it is obvious that this is not true. They want me to add another catalytic converter? HA HA Please, I don't want the one I have on there now! The 'science' mumbo jumbo on the site reads like a Christmas cracker joke page. At one point they say efficiency increased by 9 times. A normal combustion engine runs at 15% efficiency... I would not be surprised if the company CEO was also a yogic flying wizard of Oz. My question is why are these kinds of posts even allowed, when they bring down the quality of the forum as a whole?
    I agree with most of your comments, except for the forum-bit. It's a discussion forum, which is what this is. A discussion.

How is this post degrading the quality of the forum?

Chill. I wasn't trying to advertise the product and I said I doubted it worked. How does it bring down the quality of the forum? Sit back, relax and laugh at the scam.

"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Scams like this really grind my gears. It reminds me of all the ads in the back of Popular Science or Popular Mechanics. Annoying as hell.

Avoid at all costs!

Kingofthering, thanks for your reply. I am not a heavy poster, but I am a heavy reader and help run a forum in another industry. It is in that capacity especially that you see links to and discussions started about obvious scams that on occasion are placed by less scrupulous operators. It is obvious that deffenbaugh03 is not one of these people (given the posts and member status) and my response was not an attack on his post, but about ones of this type in general. Sure, the link is funny, but what would stop anyone else linking to there own spam style site under the guise of humour? In response to kooper & deffenbaugh03's question of degradation of quality, my thinking was that, like a sliding slope, what is to stop masses of low value ad links or the like being placed... and that over time this would discourage contributors of high value with good knowledge visiting/contributing. Bringing down the whole. Perhaps this was the wrong spot for me even to ask this to begin with- but alas it was late and I posted it all as one.

"in other words, what if we “cracked” the gas and broke it down into smaller particles before it went into the engine"

I’m no expert in Chemistry, but if you take the molecules that make up fuel (gas/petrol) and brake them up, you’ll be left with their base elements, which surely isn’t fuel anymore.

It’s like taking H2O, braking it up will leave you with 2 hydrogen, and 1 oxygen, that’s not water anymore, you can’t drink that…
    like I say I’m no expert, so I could be wrong
    Last edited by Celemar; 04-11-2008 at 02:13 AM.
    The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.

'90 VW mk1 1.6 (stolen)
    '83 VW mk1 GTi
    '96 Honda Civic Vtec

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    This happens when you put cola in the engine oil and beer in the gas tank.
    So is that how you study automotive engineering in the Netherlands?

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    So is that how you study automotive engineering in the Netherlands?
    superroflcopterz
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    superroflcopterz
    Sorry I couldn't resist

Thread Information