Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Car Situation in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    It sucks even more since inflation is going up because Bernanke is an idiot and the price of oil is contributing by driving up the cost of just about everything.
    the global oil price is expressed in US$, of which the value is lowering, hence the oil producers/speculators want more US$ for one barrel. (Why do you think Chavez and Iran want Euros for their oil? To point at the weakness of the US economy or to maintain their real income levels?) The rise of the Euro mitigates the oil price increase in Europe on the other hand.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I agree. But hopefully when this blows over these brands will establish themselves in the US. Renault through Nissan dealers and SEAT through VW dealers I suspect will be the first.
    But then they may ecounter the problems US brands are having with different brands within the same group cannibalising sales each other.

Furthermore the American market is very different from the European one. Probably different enough to grant that what sells well in Europe won't succeed in the US and viceversa.

Because let's be brutally honest, car enthusiasts can complain as much as they want (and they do, just visit any US-based car site and read the comments on any pieces of news about an EU vehicle) but the truth is that probably Joe Public won't buy into the whole Europeaness of these cars.

Why is that probably belongs to another thread, but suffice to say if Joe Public is happy with his US Focus (and he is apparently since they are increasing production to actually meet demmand) there's nothing that US petrolheads can actually do.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it's like beef only leaner. if you like marbled steak, no go..
    .. perhaps goat or camel will also substitute nicely
    i have had a 'roo burger once was interesting, do kangeroos produce less methane then??!!

blue i get what you mean but you drive a v8 because you use it not just waste it on the 5min trip to shop or school run. i just get pissed of by having an urban 4x4 its a massive waste of materials and fresh airm plus you car panels when the stupid mothers pull out in front of you and do other stupid manoeuveres but still think theyre driving a micra!!

there are stories here that Chrysler is talking with Alfa Romeo, offering them production facilities (and may be also access to the dealer network).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jugga View Post
    i have had a 'roo burger once was interesting, do kangeroos produce less methane then??!!
    way way less, plus no hooves - less damage to the ground.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

it really is that bad, we've even started to think about the, dare i say it... hybrid route

if they are going to use our money to fix roads, they should damn well make sure than they sort out the roads of surrey pretty sharpish!
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 04-17-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

im from farnham, surrey and im at uni in coventry. the midlands roads are soo much worse. i see the point about the roads where is are road tax going???

Farnham, really? I'm in Haslemere, quite a few of the roads around here are aweful, Marley Lane, Haslemere, A287 Hindhead Road and quite a few in and around Haslemere, Milford and Godalming to name a few.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

true they get quite slippy aswell round there too :S.

Quote Originally Posted by jugga View Post
    true they get quite slippy aswell round there too :S.
    I assume they raise taxes on alcohol too in the UK. Is that being used to improve the quality of English beer?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I assume they raise taxes on alcohol too in the UK. Is that being used to improve the quality of English beer?
    apparently our tax pays for Mps houses, cars, dogs, TVs, Kitchen and Takeaways and Holidays. dont think theres much left for roads or top secret beer development!!

i really wish i thought of the idea of getting a placment for my degree course at one of the Aussie V8 teams earlier. Too late now but the chance to live away from uk wud be awesome and wud be soo close to japan. and gettin an ek9 ctr

Buy a bike.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Buy a bike.
    The world is dangerous enough without increasing your chances of an early death by riding a motorcycle or bicycle on the road.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    The world is dangerous enough without increasing your chances of an early death by riding a motorcycle or bicycle on the road.
    don't blame the bicycle for that, but rather the cars...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    don't blame the bicycle for that, but rather the cars...
    the DRIVERS !
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information