Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary buisness

Scary buisness

Source
    The Pentagon is toying with the idea of black propaganda.

As part of George Bush's war on terrorism, the military is thinking of planting propaganda and misleading stories in the international media.

A new department has been set up inside the Pentagon with the Orwellian title of the Office of Strategic Influence.

It is well funded, is being run by a general and its aim is to influence public opinion abroad.

Black and white

It has been canvassing opinion within the Pentagon on what it should do.

The options range from the standard public relations stuff - doing more to explain the Pentagon's role - to more underhand tactics such as e-mailing journalists and community leaders abroad with information that undermines governments hostile to the United States.

These e-mails would come from a .com return address rather than .mil to hide the Pentagon's role.

The most controversial suggestion is the covert planting of disinformation in foreign media, a process known as black propaganda.

All this has sparked off a fierce debate within the Pentagon. The options range from "the blackest of black programmes to the whitest of white," one official told the New York Times.

Some generals are worried that even a suggestion of disinformation would undermine the Pentagon's credibility and America's attempts to portray herself as the beacon of liberty and democratic values.

Under review

Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has asked a team of lawyers to check the proposals' legality.

The Pentagon is forbidden from spreading black propaganda in the American media, but there is nothing to stop an American newspaper picking up a story carried abroad.

The Pentagon is well versed in what it calls "psyops", dropping leaflets and using radio broadcasts to undermine enemy morale.

But these kind of activities have always been confined to the battlefield, such as Afghanistan.

Using covert tactics on media outlets of friendly countries is much more controversial.
    What do you think? i was surprised that after wiretapping and all that such a system wasnt allready in place...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

It allready is and working rather well, changing public opinion and media reports. I find it incredible that the citizens allow their leaders to do this.

This story is six years old.

The very fact that it says "Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld" should tell you something. He hasn't been in that role for a year or so.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    It allready is and working rather well, changing public opinion and media reports. I find it incredible that the citizens allow their leaders to do this.
    To do what? And how would you suggest we do anything to stop it? Riot? Coup? The truth is, there's no way to stop it if they want to do it. Because of one missing word in our Constitution, the power of the office of President is nearly limitless. The power of Congress is strictly limited. There are so many loopholes for the President. Luckily for us, most of our past Presidents have been respectful of government and its role enough to not take advantage of them. Bush, however, has been another story

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The very fact that it says "Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld" should tell you something. He hasn't been in that role for a year or so.
    That's what tipped me off.

yes it is old, but i was still surprised that such a measure was only applied six years ago. seems to me the US has never been as unpopular as in the last years.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

To do what? And how would you suggest we do anything to stop it? Riot? Coup? The truth is, there's no way to stop it if they want to do it. Because of one missing word in our Constitution, the power of the office of President is nearly limitless. The power of Congress is strictly limited. There are so many loopholes for the President. Luckily for us, most of our past Presidents have been respectful of government and its role enough to not take advantage of them. Bush, however, has been another story
    Well for example you could go to the streets and protest. I definately would in this case !

Standing outside doesn't accomplish anything besides making you look like a bum.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Standing outside doesn't accomplish anything besides making you look like a bum.
    So does driving a car that makes you look like you can't afford suspension.
    Last edited by Spastik_Roach; 04-27-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Well for example you could go to the streets and protest. I definately would in this case !
    And people have from the very day Bush was elected to his first term. What does protesting really do, besides get you on the news?

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    So does driving a car that makes you look like you can't afford suspension.
    My suspension is worth more than my car.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

And people have from the very day Bush was elected to his first term. What does protesting really do, besides get you on the news?
    See the Vietnam War..

See the Vietnam War..
    Oh, that's right. That totally slipped my mind. That's what ended the Vietnam war. People standing outside with signs.

What really happened is very similar to what has been happening in the last year. After Ford took over from Nixon, a new Democratic Congress took over from a predominantly Republican Congress. The new Congress was much more willing to challenge the legitimacy of the war. They did just as this Congress has tried (and failed) to do. They restricted funding and eventually cut funding off altogether.

Protesters didn't do it. A change in a government's ideology through newly elected officials ended it.

Thread Information