Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    It's European law that cars need to have this system in the dashboard.
    That's a load of crock. There's lots of cars around without an onboard computer.

In 1989 a naturally aspirated diesel AX, using the 1360 cc all aluminium alloy TUD engine, managed a figure of 2.7 litres per 100 kilometres (100 mpg-imp/87 mpg-US), totalling over 1,000 miles (1,609 km) from Dover to Barcelona.

This was the longest ever distance travelled on 10 imp gal (45.5 L/12.0 US gal) of fuel and earned it a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the most economical production car.

TAKE THAT TOYOTA PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by apple HEAD View Post
    In 1989 a naturally aspirated diesel AX, using the 1360 cc all aluminium alloy TUD engine, managed a figure of 2.7 litres per 100 kilometres (100 mpg-imp/87 mpg-US), totalling over 1,000 miles (1,609 km) from Dover to Barcelona.

This was the longest ever distance travelled on 10 imp gal (45.5 L/12.0 US gal) of fuel and earned it a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the most economical production car.

TAKE THAT TOYOTA PRIUS
    imagine that the same AX could be had with a modern common rail engine....2 liters per 100 would be easily achievable....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

that beggs the question, why hasnt anyone of the major manufacturers made a more economical diesel.

i have a 15 year old 1.5 d AX that regularily returns 75 mpg and the best bit is it was in really good condition when i bought it for £200

1000 miles to a tank in 1989 is still pretty impressive. they did a limited run of electric AX'S too and even sold a 4x4 version lol

that beggs the question, why hasnt anyone of the major manufacturers made a more economical diesel.

i have a 15 year old 1.5 d AX that regularily returns 75 mpg and the best bit is it was in really good condition when i bought it for £200
    Because people want all sorts of gizmos.

And weight kills everything...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Because all manufacturers had to convert their small cars into tanks, to have at least some protection against the behemoths some companies presented as the ultimate market desire.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

has anyone heard about the ronn scorpion it's 40 mpg 193mph top speed and 0-60 in 3.5 seconds pretty good for a economical supercar
    "no one ever went broke by giving up a buck" those bucks can be saved up to buy a beautiful machine

very good point. i think the AX has like a 9 out of 10 euro Death rating or something like that.lol

citroen have recently launched an even smaller car,the c1. this is not perticularily economic however it would also not be very Good in a crash.

And i dont believe that the car that replaced the AX would be much safer in a crash.

i mean sure the saxo is heavier,slower and less economical but id does use the AX chassis and engines so it cant be all that better in a crash

it just seems to me that everyone is taking a step in the wrong direction in these hard economic times.

Ronn Scorpion Supercar Gets 40 MPG | Hydrogen Cars and Vehicles

why introduce such technology in a "supercar"? what mileage would this system get in small city car that does not need to be able to reach 200 mph?

very good point. i think the AX has like a 9 out of 10 euro Death rating or something like that.lol

citroen have recently launched an even smaller car,the c1. this is not perticularily economic however it would also not be very Good in a crash.

And i dont believe that the car that replaced the AX would be much safer in a crash.

i mean sure the saxo is heavier,slower and less economical but id does use the AX chassis and engines so it cant be all that better in a crash

it just seems to me that everyone is taking a step in the wrong direction in these hard economic times.
    I fully agree, but consumer organisations will always keep on demanding the highest safety levels, probably without realising that it is the same consumer that most of the times causes the most stupid accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Supercar View Post
    has anyone heard about the ronn scorpion it's 40 mpg 193mph top speed and 0-60 in 3.5 seconds pretty good for a economical supercar
    we don't even know if that think is capable of moving without being pulled.

every new car is safer than its predecessor, but it also has to satisfy bigger expectations from Politicians, customers and so on. for example, now a new car has also to face the deal of pedestrian impact, something completely different from protecting the passengers.
    the point is that a lot of cars aren't as much safer than their predecessors than what they would like to let us think. so, just because the car weights twice the former, it doesn't, obviously, mean it's twice safer.
    Active safety added a lot, but eventually we are driving faster and faster, disregarding of everything, thinking all those ESP,TCS and so on is going to save us, and so we catch ourselves in worst situations then what we did 20 years ago. and there are also a lot more cars now on the road than 20 years ago.
    the old Fiat 500 had to face to possibility of hitting a Citroen 2CV as a common threat, now it's crash-tested against an Audi Q7, kinda different.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

i know. its horrible

So basically we should ban SUVs.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So basically we should ban SUVs.
    the truth is out. now they have to face it. Ferrer spoke.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information