Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abarth coming to the U.S

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The only retro car that has been really successful is the Mini probably because apart from the cute looks it had some substance.
    What about the Mustang?

As for selling Fiats, I'm just not sure that the public will accept them. The allure of European cars seems to be amongst the wealthier car owners who buy them (for what I think) for perceived quality, status, and performance.

Does Fiat have any of these things? How much will the cars retail for? Will people buy them over cheap American performance cars? I think part of their hope is good fuel economy possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What about the Mustang?
    It's not a retro car, it only has retro styling.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    It's not a retro car, it only has retro styling.
    I didn't even know there was a difference.

Yeah, you know the gap in production...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Yeah, you know the gap in production...
    I would still call the Mustang a retro car - I'm really not sure that you gotta revive a dead name for it to be considered retro.

Omg the 997 is a retro car!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What about the Mustang?
    Good point, but it's not sold here. The Mini has been a success pretty much everywhere.

As for Alfa Romeo v Fiat in the US, the 500 could maybe succeed if petrol prices continue to rise. But even so I doubt it. The image of Fiat in North America is pretty bad and the 500 is a classic European supermini, small engines and maunal gearboxes with a diminutive size. Exactly the opposite of what they want.

And Alfa Romeos barely cut the mustard here so would probably fail completely over there. Maybe when they release new models but this is nothing more than speculation.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Good point, but it's not sold here. The Mini has been a success pretty much everywhere.

As for Alfa Romeo v Fiat in the US, the 500 could maybe succeed if petrol prices continue to rise. But even so I doubt it. The image of Fiat in North America is pretty bad and the 500 is a classic European supermini, small engines and maunal gearboxes with a diminutive size. Exactly the opposite of what they want.

And Alfa Romeos barely cut the mustard here so would probably fail completely over there. Maybe when they release new models but this is nothing more than speculation.
    Using an unfamiliar name like Abarth would probably work. It just needs to present itself as something worth buying.
    Then maybe Fiat and Alfa can scurry on in.

The Honda Fit would probably be one of the better options here in America. The Fiat 500 is too cute to be a people/cargo carrier. It's shape (I'm assuming) is bubbly.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The Honda Fit would probably be one of the better options here in America. The Fiat 500 is too cute to be a people/cargo carrier. It's shape (I'm assuming) is bubbly.
    The 500 is't really a (small) people carrier like the Jazz. More like a city car.
    Visca Catalunya!

the mini has been a remarkable success here, and it still has no real competition. maybe the A3, but even so, its not really the same type of vehicle.

alfa and fiat have been absent for a long time, and the target buyer of these vehicles in the states really dont have the preconceived notions of them the way they woudl have 10 years ago or more. the only alfa most americans know is the spyder, and those werent imported after the late 80s. the 164 was the last model to be imported, and i have only seen about 10 of those in my life.

in summary, if the two marques come back to the states, i think there will be a market, and while they may not sell hundreds of thousands like the mini did, there will be enough of a demand to support a small model line up. the full gamut of fiats woudl be rediculous, but the 500, brera, and mito, sold at one dealer, with good marketing and service support sould be nothing but a boon for Fiat.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    in summary, if the two marques come back to the states, i think there will be a market, and while they may not sell hundreds of thousands like the mini did, there will be enough of a demand to support a small model line up. the full gamut of fiats woudl be rediculous, but the 500, brera, and mito, sold at one dealer, with good marketing and service support sould be nothing but a boon for Fiat.
    The problem is profitability. Selling "some" cars is not enough. They have to sell enough cars for them to be profitable. And the current Alfa Romeo lineup doesn't look like it would be able to tempt current drivers from other premium brands.

The Brera especially has been a serious disappointment.

Also setting a good dealer network costs a fortune and Fiat is still operating in a bit of a shoestring. Howvere I guess the dela with BMW sorts that out.
    Visca Catalunya!

The problem is profitability. Selling "some" cars is not enough. They have to sell enough cars for them to be profitable. And the current Alfa Romeo lineup doesn't look like it would be able to tempt current drivers from other premium brands.

The Brera especially has been a serious disappointment.

Also setting a good dealer network costs a fortune and Fiat is still operating in a bit of a shoestring. Howvere I guess the dela with BMW sorts that out.
    some cars yes, but i really think they could sell enough to be profitable.

the brera has been a disappointment in europe, where drivers are much more in tune with better driving cars, which it is not. but here, we regularly put up with crap, so it shoudl do well.

the dealer part is where i think there woudl be a problem, mini had bmw dealers initially. the closest fiat has is ferrari dealers, and you woudl nt want to have the same buyers looking at a 500 and a 599.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    the dealer part is where i think there woudl be a problem, mini had bmw dealers initially. the closest fiat has is ferrari dealers, and you woudl nt want to have the same buyers looking at a 500 and a 599.
    Not only that but Ferrari dealers won't want Alfa Romeo (or Abarth) franchises.

However a deal with BMW has been set in order for Fiat to use the Mini dealer network.
    Visca Catalunya!

Why not come into the US when the American makers are tanking and have not caught up yet with the rising prices and changes to what Americans want in a car? It's perfect, but only if Americans can be convinced that it is a better car, won't have the problems of the Fiats of the 70s and 80s and that by buying them they are supporting American workers (I think this is a lot more important to the average American consumer than a lot of people realize).

Thread Information