Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: UCP Bicycle thread

@pokey: Grazie mille!

Well, I'm 6'4" and used to be able to do a ca. 2kW sprint, so my fondness of carbon is really rather limited. The original Principias had a bang on geometry, and at 1.4kg in a size 60 it's not too overweight. Still, I won't rule out a Parlee Z4 or Crumpton. Then again, a Pegoretti is very high on my list too!

As for the actual amount of CF on this build, I actually used to run full CF chainrings from Fibre-Lyte but they didn't last long. Moving on there's the AX brakeset in CF but they don't offer enough stopping power or I would have gotten them. My rear derailleur is 23gr lighter than the new Campy Super Record with a bit more carbon. Of course, there's the CarbonSports derailleur at sub-120gr but with a price tag that high it's just plain ridiculous. My front derailleur is already below 50gr so not much to gain there either. Seat post clamp is 12gr with bolt and works well with my odd sized frame. The stem is alloy alright but I needed a 130mm, -17 degree stem to be bonded to the bars. I suppose I could've gone with a Nordischer Rahmenbau or AX stem but they're bugger all hard to come buy. Handlebars are CF though. Headset is aluminium with steel bearings but I am yet to find a better external headset for a 1" head tube. The bottom bracket spindle is titanium - wouldn't make much sense doing a carbon axle as it's ISIS. Cable housing is aluminium Nokon but the cables themselves are not metal. Hub internals are metal, obviously, but apart from that and the frame there's not that much metal left.

And yes, I do 4-5hr rides on a regular basis on this. It is a bit more harsh than a modern CF frame but I don't mind really. We used to race aluminium frames for a while before the first carbon frames really started to pop up on the amateur level.
    Last edited by Rasmus; 10-10-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    Turning money into memories.

6'4" eh? That's my height...if you ever get rid of it let me know.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Rasmus, that's a good looking bike you have there! Really nice frame

thats the new ride

its a Giant Alias 2008 model, i bought it at the end of last year and have been having a blast on hydro disk anchors

just upgraded to a set of solid shoes and cleats as well, thats made a big difference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R View Post
    thats the new ride

its a Giant Alias 2008 model, i bought it at the end of last year and have been having a blast on hydro disk anchors

just upgraded to a set of solid shoes and cleats as well, thats made a big difference
    looks nice... been thinking about stepping up to a Giant, although i want a fully suspended bike.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    looks nice... been thinking about stepping up to a Giant, although i want a fully suspended bike.
    the fully suspended ones are nice and i reckon the Giant ones are the best out there... i don't like the dual suspension bikes... i tend to get a "bunny hop" feeling on them all the time i ride.

The Giants however seem to not do this as much, they are certainly money well spent and are always getting better and better
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Thread Information