Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigh... what's the meaning of life?

Sigh... what's the meaning of life?

Nah, just kidding. I already figured that out.

Are there any poker players in the house? I've started playing some months ago, and so far I'm perfectly average, which isn't satisfying. I want to become good enough to beat my friends on a regular basis (3 out of 4 times) and make much more money than I lose.

So, what tips do you have to give?

I've played at little at pokerstars.com, but the fact that money isn't involved makes a huge difference. People give all ins all the time and don't mind calling anything. It's fun, but still doesn't match the real thing.

Thanks.

Keep pimpin'.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

besides you take the whole body language part out of the equation.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Yeah, that too.

hehe, i learnt about a year ago. don't play online because its the atmosphere of friends that draws me to it.

some words of advice as a beginner playing against better foes:

1. take not of your 'tells' and make sure to pretend to get excited when you have nothing in hand, and vice versa.
    2. learn to lie better
    3. try different kinds of poker, 5-card, blind man's bluff, fastpoker, omaha, 7-card, etc.
    4. make sure you have green felt on your table, it makes all the difference.

edit: also, if you can, play with different people, and different numbers of people, i once played with 11 people at my kitchen table, it didn't go so well...
    Last edited by aiasib; 09-03-2008 at 03:03 PM.

No Alcohol. Keep your head clear.

The meaning of life?

I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

My tips (I'm not an expert):

- If you're gonna bluff do it hard and scare the hell out of them. If you bluff softly they'll eventually find out and won't fall for it anymore.

- Work on the "poker face"

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Well that IS the answer to the ultaimte question, but evidence suggests that "What is the meaning of life" was NOT the ultimate question because 42 makes no sense

The Meaning of Liff
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Learn to read people well.
    Learn to Lie well.

Have a good time, I don't have enough money to bet
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Well that IS the answer to the ultaimte question, but evidence suggests that "What is the meaning of life" was NOT the ultimate question because 42 makes no sense

The Meaning of Liff
    =WIN

... and a new bookmark for me
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I'm no good at bluffing. Also very difficult when you've a friend whose poker face is so good, and he puts in money regardless of having awesome cards or crap cards. So sometimes, he'll win big, but others, he'll just loose. You just can't tell.

I'm ok-ish i guess. I win about 50% of the time. Every friday night, we play a bit of poker with some buddies(4-8 people). My trick is to playing very different all the times. Some times, go out at the first possibility with good cards, other times go all the way with bad cards. It makes it difficult for others to get an idea of your playing pattern, which makes it difficult for them to guess your hand.

Most of all, don't forget to have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I'm ok-ish i guess. I win about 50% of the time. Every friday night, we play a bit of poker with some buddies(4-8 people). My trick is to playing very different all the times. Some times, go out at the first possibility with good cards, other times go all the way with bad cards. It makes it difficult for others to get an idea of your playing pattern, which makes it difficult for them to guess your hand.

Most of all, don't forget to have fun !
    So you throw away good cards, just to play differently?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Damn, there were 5 of us on the table yesterday and I made it to the heads up with a friend. He beat me to the clock and took the 80 bucks only because his unsuited A+9 turned out better than my suited A+8. Stupid suited cards, I have to learn to not trust 'em.

What is it about 42?

Once in the F1 paddock a small japanese guy came up to Senna and said: "You'll make it to 41 but never to 42". In fact he didn't, his last win was his 41st.

42 is the answer to life in a weird book from britain nobody read until there was a movie made of it. it´s kinda funny, actually, and the chick is kinda cute.

We in Mexico have a funny story about the number 41. One day in the XIXth century there was like this secret house where gay men went crossdressed and had fun the gay way. so there was a raid and 41 people were caught, the 41th dude was a nephew of the dictator in turn, so he was kept anon. from that day all mexican men dread the number 41, cos if you have it somehow connected to you it means you´re the 41th man(i.e you´re gay). men in mexico, for example are never 41 years old, or little things like that.

EDIT: its kinda funny how you asked about the meaning of life, and we ended up talking how about the meaning of life is 42.
    Last edited by teatako; 09-04-2008 at 08:24 AM.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Thread Information