Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calais VY LS1 V8 or Ford XR6 Turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by muso View Post
    I like the BA XR8's but I don't have a heavy machinery operator's license LOL and they drink about 4 litres more per 100 km's than the LS1 and don't go any better, but they certainly look better. I don't think the SS holden models get climate air, all the ones I've seen have the pov pack air with 4 speed fan and no climate screen, if the Vy or VZ SS came with climate control my decision would be much easier, I really like climate control, what a damn shame the 5.4 V8 in the BA Fairmont isn't much chop, and what a bigger shame there wasn't a Turbo engine option for the BA Fairmont.
    There are XR6Ts out there with the premium dashboard and climate control. They were options. Look for one of those if you want the Ford and must have climate control.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Thanks motorsportsnerd, I remember now it's called the luxury interior pack or something like that, I've never actually seen one but I know they were available, there are plenty with the large screen but they are just the premium sound option and I don't think they have climate air, the XR6T's with luxury pack have the Fairmont centre stack with the little analogue clock on the top. Cheers Muso

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    yeah they do sound great, pity the bite doesn't match the bark
    Just get an XR6T with the premium sound and buy a CD or MP3 continuous play recording of the XR8 engine with shift points digitally synchronised
    But don't red line it or you'll blow a Sub........but seriously they sound bloody fantastic, my neighbours got an old 253 V8 with twin pipes....sounds like a flying fart

Just checked on carsales.com and there are a few XR6T's with luxury pack but they are about 5-6K dearer than other XR6T's, the VY Calais already has all that and is about the same price as the cheaper XR6T's. I think the XR6T should have come standard with the luxury pack to increase the gap between XR6's and XR6T's......with only a badge and the engine differentiating the two it's not enough IMHO I guess it would have pushed the price up and people may have bought the cheaper SS instead, so from a marketing point of view it's understandable.....pity though.
    Last edited by muso; 09-17-2008 at 04:10 AM.

I like the BA XR8's but I don't have a heavy machinery operator's license LOL and they drink about 4 litres more per 100 km's than the LS1 and don't go any better, but they certainly look better. I don't think the SS holden models get climate air, all the ones I've seen have the pov pack air with 4 speed fan and no climate screen, if the Vy or VZ SS came with climate control my decision would be much easier, I really like climate control, what a damn shame the 5.4 V8 in the BA Fairmont isn't much chop, and what a bigger shame there wasn't a Turbo engine option for the BA Fairmont.
    If it went like the XR6T it wouldn't matter what i drank..

Some VYII SS were option, Same with VZ SS some option some standard..
    VZ SS-Z was standard.. Some VZ SS's came with the 6lt.
    Then also, Some BF XR8's came with the 6 speed Auto. Both in BF and VZ had some goodies extra at times.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

All BF Falcons had the 6 speed ZF optional. I think it was the XR6 that only had the choice between the 4 speed and 6 speed, XR6T and XR8 was all 6 speeders. The 6L SS's were a MY06 running change as well, so its not necessarily random.
    I am the Stig

In my budget all I am looking at is BA XR6T 4 speed auto or VY Calais LS1 4 speed auto, but (without deviating away from the thread question too much) the WK Statesman is also a possibility if one comes up.

no manual?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

No, I only want auto and Calais and WK don't come with manuals I think, auto XR6T's are better from what I've heard

If it was a BA2 then the manual would be worth it, but T5 equipped XR6T's would definately be something to avoid.
    I am the Stig

As FPV said the BF comes with 6 speeder in XR6T and XR8, And they might be on the good side of $25,000 if lucky?..

Also the WK Caprice is about that 22-25k. Spotted one in Victoria for 23 grand.. 5.7lt 03 Caprice. the DVD and screen in the rear head rest.

Also if there is a pickles in your state give that a good look, We have just opened one 3min away from my home, And they are already starting to bring cars in, Now if that was there 12 months ago, I would have bought from them.

Vehicle Auctions, Car Auctions, Online Auction - Pickles Auctions Australia

Seen a VYII Berlina 91.000km V6.. For $11,700.. I would have bought that.

I think the manual gearbox in the BA 2 series is the same one as the holden LS1's use but with more sensible gearing than the ridiculous (366 kph in 6th gear at the redline) moonshot gearing of the SS.

I've seen WK Statesman LS1's for about 16K on carsales.com

Its a bit more different than that. Theyre both T-56's, but the one Ford uses (and was later adapted by HSV first, and i think now Holden use it) has a different shift linkage which isnt as heavy/clunky.
    I am the Stig

I think the manual gearbox in the BA 2 series is the same one as the holden LS1's use but with more sensible gearing than the ridiculous (366 kph in 6th gear at the redline) moonshot gearing of the SS.

I've seen WK Statesman LS1's for about 16K on carsales.com
    Nothing a Cam and LS1 edit can't fix.

It reminds me of my car, The old VP had the lock up torque converter come in around 85kp/h to drop a few more revs on the highways, But my VT comes in much earlier in the low 70's, It's more annoying at lower speeds..
    With the manuals many wouldn't use 5-6 anywhere outside of the freeways highways.

If you were to go either, I'd have to go the Calais. I've driven both cars over the years, as my business had clients which catered to both vehicles. The interior on the XR is complete rubbish if you don't have leather. The carpets are cheap and thin, the doortrims are woeful and to be serious, I've come across more BA Falcs with "broken" interior fittings (the lower seat panels are the first to go) than most other cars.

Having said that, BMW's also have poor quality interiors compared to Mercs...

The Calais is classy, the V8 is useable and it's a much better statement overall. In terms of outright performance though, you couldn't go past the Falcon because anyone can see that the XR Turbo is a stunning engine.

But if you were to park both side-by-side, it would be the Calais that wins.

If you were to benchmark a Fairmont Ghia with a Calais, then that's a different story. But in terms of equipment, style and value, the Calais against the XR6T wins.

Thread Information