Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A little help from the European members

A little help from the European members

For graduation my dad is taking me on a trip, and I've narrowed it down to Germany and surrounding areas, Austria, Switzerland etc, so I would like some input on fun things to do/see.

Here is what we have so far:
    -Nurburgring
    -Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and BMW museums and factory tours
    -Berlin (specifics here anyone?)
    -Munchen (specifics?)

What else is there worth seeing in the countries I mentioned? Any other near by countries I should see?

Where can I rent a car that doesn't suck?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I've never visited Germany so I can't speak form a position of knowledge but, if you're German, try visiting wherever most of your ancestors are from.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    For graduation my dad is taking me on a trip, and I've narrowed it down to Germany and surrounding areas, Austria, Switzerland etc, so I would like some input on fun things to do/see.

Here is what we have so far:
    -Nurburgring
    -Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and BMW museums and factory tours
    -Berlin (specifics here anyone?)
    -Munchen (specifics?)

What else is there worth seeing in the countries I mentioned? Any other near by countries I should see?

Where can I rent a car that doesn't suck?
    Muenchen already has the BMW museum, but you can also visit the Technik Museum almost in the Center of the City.
    Furthermore you can visit the Sinsheim museum, about 100 km north of Stuttgart.
    Try to rent a TDI so you well get both a good mileage and you will start realising what European diesels can do....and what the USA somehow seems to ignore.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Technik Museum in München is worth a visit for sure!
    I was there when i was 10 years old, and I still remember how much amazing stuff there was there!

AMG Showroom springs to mind. Oh and autosalon singen perhaps.

a quick visit to Italy could be a good thing, Venezia, Verona are very nice place to visit especially for people from outside the EU, and of course the all car-related places around and in Modena
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Davos to Stelvio.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Muenchen already has the BMW museum, but you can also visit the Technik Museum almost in the Center of the City.
    Furthermore you can visit the Sinsheim museum, about 100 km north of Stuttgart.
    Try to rent a TDI so you well get both a good mileage and you will start realising what European diesels can do....and what the USA somehow seems to ignore.
    Yes I knew BMW was in Munchen but I figured there was probably good stuff there besides that, I would be interested in some WWII sites/artifacts if there are any there or in Berlin (obviously there are in Berlin).

Hey trust me, I realize how good compact diesels are, I think I've preached that on here before as well. Jetta TDI would be a good choice, or actually what about an E320 BlueTec? Are the European chain auto rental places different from the US ones? (Hertz, Dollar, Enterprise etc?)

What is the Sinsheim Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    AMG Showroom springs to mind. Oh and autosalon singen perhaps.
    Would that be located with the rest of the Mercedes facilities I'm guessing? What is Autosalon Singen?

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    Technik Museum in München is worth a visit for sure!
    I was there when i was 10 years old, and I still remember how much amazing stuff there was there!
    What is there? You and Henk mentioned it, from the sound of the name, all things engineering? If that's the case, definitely going, my dad is an engineer and I'm soon to be.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    a quick visit to Italy could be a good thing, Venezia, Verona are very nice place to visit especially for people from outside the EU, and of course the all car-related places around and in Modena
    What would you recommend that's within say, +/-100km of the Swiss/Austrian border?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Auto und Technik MUSEUM SINSHEIM / Technik MUSEUM SPEYER
    Sinsheim and Speyer (sister musuem about 75 km away).
    We have Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europecar and several others. Just Google for "car rental Germany" and you'll get all the companies.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What would you recommend that's within say, +/-100km of the Swiss/Austrian border?
    Verona is easily connected with the Austrain border by the "autostrada del Brennero", it's an highway, but it should be about two hours far from the border, maybe a little less.
    Modena is less than an hour far from Verona down the same highway. Venice is about 80/100 minutes from Verona but you need to take the A4 highway, east direction.

Modena is to be considered just for the possibility of visiting Lamborghini, Ferrari, Pagani, otherwise it isn't special as a city.

Venice and Verona are, on the contrary, amazing as a place to visit for their peculiar architectures, something I suppose you are not used in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Auto und Technik MUSEUM SINSHEIM / Technik MUSEUM SPEYER
    Sinsheim and Speyer (sister musuem about 75 km away).
    We have Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europecar and several others. Just Google for "car rental Germany" and you'll get all the companies.
    AFAIK rental is more expensive here than in NA, so be prepared to rent a small car and pay a lot.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'm with Fred and Pieter on the Technik Museum, I was there some years ago and was great. And of course all the car museums nearby.

I've been to both Berlin and Munich, and I thought Berlin was much more interesting than Munich.

As for renting a car forget about an E-class unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money. Just go for a family hatch like a Focus or an Astra.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Club Tresor in berlin ! A experience you will definately never forget !

Would that be located with the rest of the Mercedes facilities I'm guessing? What is Autosalon Singen?
    google both

been to Europe once, London and Paris so i know nuttin bout germany. but what about Stuttgart?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Thread Information