Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: StopTech Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    That method blows chunks. Its the worst way to do it and nearly impossible to get all the air out of the line. sheesh. I love how everybody on this forum is such "car experts" but when it comes to actually getting your hands dirty theres only a small handful of people that actually know what they are doing.
    <3 being sponsored
    because seriously, if it's not a mini i don't know shit
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    People on here aren't experts; they're largely magazine racers and Gran Turismo drivers.
    Truth. Am I the only one here that works on them for a living?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Doesn't Henk?
    A Citroen Mechanic?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

i think you become a citroen mechanic just by owning one? because getting it back to the dealer is a hassle on a weekly basis.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    People on here aren't experts; they're largely magazine racers and Gran Turismo drivers.
    and top gear nutswingers
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

That method blows chunks. Its the worst way to do it and nearly impossible to get all the air out of the line. sheesh. I love how everybody on this forum is such "car experts" but when it comes to actually getting your hands dirty theres only a small handful of people that actually know what they are doing.
    I used a hand-pump on my car this summer and it was complete waste of time and brake fluid. I switched to pumping it into a bucket and it worked quickly and easily, but I am sure you knew that already in your infinite wisdom.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I used a hand-pump on my car this summer and it was complete waste of time and brake fluid. I switched to pumping it into a bucket and it worked quickly and easily, but I am sure you knew that already in your infinite wisdom.

then you did the hand pump wrong genius. yes my infinite wisdom because i know how to do brakes, one of the simplest tasks ever.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

then you did the hand pump wrong genius. yes my infinite wisdom because i know how to do brakes, one of the simplest tasks ever.
    Let me see if I follow your logic:
    • We both have used hand-pumps to bleed the brakes, but I had problems. So that means I was doing it wrong.
    • We both have used a siphon tube, but you were unable to do it successfully. So that means the method doesn't work (even though it has been used by large number of other people).

Sounds like the same logic my wife uses

so i did the brakes today. they came out very nice. i invested in a hand pump vaccum system that worked very well. Just had to make sure the resevoir stayed full. I fully flushed the lines and the brakes worked which is a good thing. everything went really well. only gripes are,

1) At low speeds the pads and rotors rub making a pretty loud scraping noise. is this because of the slots in the rotors?
    2) My brake pedal got a bit mushier. could this be due to improper bleeding or usage of a different fluid? the pedal doesnt get mushier under hard braking becuase its fine when it was bed and everything.
    3) the pads arn't as gripy and edgy as the OEM's but still maintain stopping well.

succes! Thanks for the help guys!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    2) My brake pedal got a bit mushier. could this be due to improper bleeding or usage of a different fluid
    Yes this might mean that there are air bubbles in the brake lines, and because air compresses a lot more easily than brake fluid it make pedal response weaker.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    so i did the brakes today. they came out very nice. i invested in a hand pump vaccum system that worked very well. Just had to make sure the resevoir stayed full. I fully flushed the lines and the brakes worked which is a good thing. everything went really well. only gripes are,

1) At low speeds the pads and rotors rub making a pretty loud scraping noise. is this because of the slots in the rotors?
    2) My brake pedal got a bit mushier. could this be due to improper bleeding or usage of a different fluid? the pedal doesnt get mushier under hard braking becuase its fine when it was bed and everything.
    3) the pads arn't as gripy and edgy as the OEM's but still maintain stopping well.

succes! Thanks for the help guys!
    Give it a few hundred miles for the new pads and rotors to bed in.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Some pads, especially performance oriented ones, are noisy. My EBC's squeal when cold. You'll get over it. Or you won't, in which case you bought the wrong kind of pads for your priorities.

Your pedal shouldn't be mushier.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

ok well lemme see if i am "reading between the lines correctly" the pump didn't work for you PLUS its a waste of fluid? so you got a bucket and bled into there instead. since you said the pump was a waste of fluid (???) I assume you took the bucket of fluid and reused it? that proves to me you know nothing. Do you have any idea how fast brake fluid sucks moisture out of the air? There was probably so much water in the fluid you wouldn't believe it. yes, can I please get some water in my 400+ degree braking system....that would be great!

now onto the real matter at hand.

coolieman- Glad to see you got the brakes on and everything went well. Here are a couple tips that can hopefully help you work out the last few bugs.

1. My friend put a set of wilwood's on his civic which would have been a similar setup to yours. They were/are loud. They should probably quiet down with time but high performance brakes are loud. A lot of it is probably the pads they gave you with the brakes. Also I am wondering if you broke them in properly. Read the instructions one more time to see what they reccomend but usually you will want to speed up pretty quick (maybe around 45 ish) and then get on the brakes hard! Do this a couple times and it should break everything in nicely.

2. your pedal shouldn't be mushier. If it is it means you have more air in the system. did you bleed the master cylinder like I said? If not that is more than likely the culprit. If your really luckly you may have to bleed the entire system, but if its not really bad more than likely you have either a little more air in your brake lines or (more likely in my opinion now) you need to bleed the master cyl.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    ok well lemme see if i am "reading between the lines correctly" the pump didn't work for you PLUS its a waste of fluid? so you got a bucket and bled into there instead. since you said the pump was a waste of fluid (???) I assume you took the bucket of fluid and reused it? that proves to me you know nothing.
    Will your powers of assumption never cease to amaze?

I do know that brake fluid should not be reused. So I took all the wasted fluid that was generated using the hand-pump and used it to fill up the bucket.

Specifically the hand-pump was a waste of fluid because the bled fluid was not reusable and there was still air in the lines.

Specifically the hand-pump was a waste of fluid because the bled fluid was not reusable and there was still air in the lines.
    how did it waste anymore fluid than draining it into a bucket.the fluid is inside the hand pump resivior its actually pretty safe. I'd probably use that stuff again, provided it was clean fluid. i just don't understand how the pump can waste any more fluid than a bucket. I'm glad ur non caucasian engineered bucket worked for you, but i still just think you don't know how to figure out a hand pump. I do not trust the bucket trick one bit, and I will never reccomend using it.its a dumb idea. I've done the bucket idea more than a few times before I got a clue. I used to bleed all my ATV brakes using the bucket trick. its a crappy method compared to the pump.

dude in the thread got a hand pump anyways so why are we even still arguing about this?
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information