Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Naturally aspirated manifold positive pressure

Naturally aspirated manifold positive pressure

Found a website claiming a lot of things from more power to better mileage, etc. It reminded me of something I read about some particularly well designed intake manifolds that actually developed positive pressure. I can't remember the racing series, but it seems to me it was on the order of ~10psi.

Can anyone else recall where i may have seen this?

That's equivalent to achieving a volumetric efficiency greater than 1... as far as I know it's not possible without forced induction

i always wondered what would happen if you put a little electric motor in your intake to help force air into the manifold. it might have to be kinda powerful since the pressure it would create would have to be greater then the engines intake pressure sucking to make a difference but what if it just helped suck air thru the filter faster?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    i always wondered what would happen if you put a little electric motor in your intake to help force air into the manifold. it might have to be kinda powerful since the pressure it would create would have to be greater then the engines intake pressure sucking to make a difference but what if it just helped suck air thru the filter faster?
    They sell them on eBay. Useless.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    They sell them on eBay. Useless.
    Leaf blowers. They add 11hpz.
    Leaf Blower Bolt on Dyno pull- Video
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

The laws of physics, for fans to work they require larger energy input than they can return. Nothing is 100% efficient. SO losses screw all the BS
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thermodynamics ftmfw.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

that goes to show how much psi you actually need to get more power from FI. pretty crazy.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Did thoose manifolds used ram air?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Did thoose manifolds used ram air?
    I don't think so. Maybe velocity stacks... I'm wracking my brain to figure this out.

I'm pretty sure it was in one of the power adder books. I checked Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it's not in there. Maybe street turbocharging. All of my books are packed up. :/
    Last edited by CapnBoost; 12-04-2008 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBoost View Post
    I don't think so. Maybe velocity stacks... I'm wracking my brain to figure this out.

I'm pretty sure it was in one of the power adder books. I checked Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it's not in there. Maybe street turbocharging. All of my books are packed up. :/
    I would guess some kind of inertial method of supercharging.

Regardless of how it is done, if there is really no FI, the positive pressure is either momentary and/or in a small localized area of the manifold. Otherwise there would be no way to get new (lower pressure) ambient air into the manifold.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    They could call it something like a 'turbo', maybe run it off exhaust pressure for even more power.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Random thoughts on the topic.
    Use a plenum air inlet feeding from a place of high pressure on the car (base od windshield is a good place), this will provide the engine with a pressurized souce from which to draw the air it needs. This is not always a ram effect, just a higher than atmospheric source. At the Atlanta Motor Speedway in July of 1973, the car I was crew member on gained .5 second a lap with just a change of air inlet box. Also, an engine builder for NASCAR Cup cars told me they routinely see a volumetric efficiency of 120%.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I would guess some kind of inertial method of supercharging.

Regardless of how it is done, if there is really no FI, the positive pressure is either momentary and/or in a small localized area of the manifold. Otherwise there would be no way to get new (lower pressure) ambient air into the manifold.
    That makes a great deal of sense. I don't suppose you're familiar with the tuning for resonation?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
    Random thoughts on the topic.
    Use a plenum air inlet feeding from a place of high pressure on the car (base od windshield is a good place), this will provide the engine with a pressurized souce from which to draw the air it needs. This is not always a ram effect, just a higher than atmospheric source. At the Atlanta Motor Speedway in July of 1973, the car I was crew member on gained .5 second a lap with just a change of air inlet box. Also, an engine builder for NASCAR Cup cars told me they routinely see a volumetric efficiency of 120%.
    This is interesting, however, the internet being what it is is there any way you could provide some sort of outside evidence? I really mean no offense but, it's hard to believe that even with the pressure generated at the windshield that 120% volumetric efficiency can be achieved.

EDIT: I found it! Motorbooks Workshop, How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems, Chap 12 "Clever designs have taken advantage of high air-flow characteristics, inertial effects, and pressure-wave tuning to achieve air density in cylinders that substantially exceeds atmospheric pressure with as much a 10 psi positive pressure at the intake valve."

No emphasis added, word for word. Now, how is this possible?
    Last edited by CapnBoost; 12-05-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: VICTORY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    That's equivalent to achieving a volumetric efficiency greater than 1... as far as I know it's not possible without forced induction
    Volumetric efficiency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No emphasis added, word for word. Now, how is this possible?
    Because air is squishy..
    Last edited by P4g4nite; 12-05-2008 at 06:33 AM.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Thread Information