Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Dodge Ram - fuel economy and aerodynamics

2009 Dodge Ram - fuel economy and aerodynamics

- Up to 20 % better fuel economy than previous model tith Hemi V8

- Drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.422, compared with 0.463 for a comparable 2008 model.

2009 Dodge Ram with Hemi V8 could top segment in fuel economy
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

This means that for the first time it will actually consume less fuel that your average South American town consumes over a year.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

if fuel economy is killing you then perhaps you shouldn't consider Hemi V8s. If you're a business though and it gets 20% better fuel economy then that's probably great news.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Those MPG figures are pretty good for a pickup truck.

...although, once the Cummins 6.7L diesel is broken in, it can easily achieve that, while developing more power and torque

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    if fuel economy is killing you then perhaps you shouldn't consider Hemi V8s. If you're a business though and it gets 20% better fuel economy then that's probably great news.
    Living in LA my experience with big engine pickups is they're usually "lifts" which means they have monster truck sized suspensions and wheels and are driven way too fast by spoiled brats from Orange County; the extent of their off-road/hauling use is dropping off a keg on the beach. Most of the working pickups I see are Ranger/Tacoma sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post

...although, once the Cummins 6.7L diesel is broken in, it can easily achieve that, while developing more power and torque
    Cheers to that!
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

that's nice.....
    but doesn't GM offer trucks than run on ethanol?

The land of the free and home of the whopper!
    Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    that's nice.....
    Yes, but the ethanol doesn't mean that fuel economy increases.
    roflcopter

actually that motor is crap. and will get worse gas milage than that too.

one of my best friends bought an 05 cummins, 4 door fully loaded, short cab. I want to say it got around 23 when it was stock. He then put a banks power pda, speed loader, 6 gun, ram air intake and big ass stacks on it. He also put 35 inch mud tires on it at the same time. That thing made STUPID power and it also got around 25-28 mpg. Keep in mind it was a 6 speed tho.

Well he runs an excavating buisness and decided he couldn't haul all he wanted to in that truck as sweet as it was so he went out and bought himself an 08 6.7 blue tech cummins. 4 door, dually, and fully loaded. When he first got it we were all impressed with how quiet and smooth the thing was. woowwww.

but then it came time to do work and we quickly realized what a dog this new motor was. This thing is slower than molasses getting up to any speed. It tops out at 72 mph if your going down a hill with the wind to your back. Its rated to tow a shit ton, but you put a trailer with any weight on there and it just becomes a super dog. no power AT ALL. Not only that but the gas milage is abysmal. he averages about 15 mpg. best he has ever gotten is 19. pulling a trailer hes down to about 10-11 mpg. not to mention the 5 bucks a gallon you need to spend on the new type of diesel this things required to run on (low sulfur)

ok so granted the truck was still pretty new and not broken in yet but hes got a ton more miles on it now and it hasn't improved at all. He's ready to sell it and go back to an old school diesel. All these new regulations are killing diesel trucks. They are pure garbage now. You can't barely touch a single thing on your truck without voiding your warrantee. any improvement you want to make to the performance either costs ridiculous amounts of money and doesnt do a lot for you or you simply are just out of luck on any warrentee issues.

diesel trucks have gone the way of the 60's muscle cars. They were sweet and awesome for quite some time, then emissions regulations killed them.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

All the big three's trucks can run off ethanol.

As for dodge's mileage increases go...ill believe it when i see it, dodge has always been last in the mileage department. plus, if it really does get 23mpg on the highway the silverado will take the title pretty quickly considering that it currently gets 22mpg with a 4 speed transmission and they are slowly but surely phasing in the 6speed so that should add a couple mpg.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    that's nice.....
    Burning ethanol blends will net you less mileage.

the problem is that diesel costs about a 75 cents more per gallon. So while diesels get slightly better mileage and waaay more power, you'r still loosing money in the long run, not to mention they usually are a 1000+ dollar option.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

That tank of a vehicle gets significantly better gas mileage than a 5cyl 3.7L H3 :s. wtf.

i havent heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    All the big three's trucks can run off ethanol.

As for dodge's mileage increases go...ill believe it when i see it, dodge has always been last in the mileage department. plus, if it really does get 23mpg on the highway the silverado will take the title pretty quickly considering that it currently gets 22mpg with a 4 speed transmission and they are slowly but surely phasing in the 6speed so that should add a couple mpg.
    Everyone allways wants to quote Chevy fuel economy numbers. Chevy has a piston ring pressure of about 2 psi. The Dodge Hemi has a pressure of about 7 psi. Thats why the Dodge's milage will continue to get better past 100k miles but it wont burn oil (when prpperly maintained). The Chevy on the other hand wil be used up and puking oil and coolant from every gasket. Not to mention all the alternators, fuel pumps, and ac comressors the Chevy will have gone through by 100K. Why do you think Toyota is stompin GM in sales right now. Chevy's are for red necks that don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by rambob View Post
    Everyone allways wants to quote Chevy fuel economy numbers. Chevy has a piston ring pressure of about 2 psi. The Dodge Hemi has a pressure of about 7 psi. Thats why the Dodge's milage will continue to get better past 100k miles but it wont burn oil (when prpperly maintained). The Chevy on the other hand wil be used up and puking oil and coolant from every gasket. Not to mention all the alternators, fuel pumps, and ac comressors the Chevy will have gone through by 100K. Why do you think Toyota is stompin GM in sales right now. Chevy's are for red necks that don't know any better.
    Interesting first post rambob, I take it you are a Ram fan then? What exactly is piston ring pressure anyways? I don't really think Chevys trucks are for "red necks" however - a bit of a broad statement that doens't lend well to your credibility I think.

Thread Information