Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a new car in the fall

Purchasing a new car in the fall

Hi all,

I will be (finally) graduating university this may and will be looking for some new wheels in the fall to replace my less than reliable 2000 Sunfire GT. I'll be working as a relief pharmacist, meaning that I will be travelling throughout my province covering shifts within the company I signed with. As a bit of background, this position pays more than normal staff which I why I took it, if you were wondering. Anyhow,it follows that I'll be doing a fair bit of driving, both summer and winter (sadly alot more winter than summer, haha).

So I'm leaning toward something thats AWD. Also it has to be new, or only a year or so old, as the warranty will be useful with all the kilometers I'll be putting on it. My budget will be in the $30-35k CAD range. Creature comforts would be nice as well, I'm not looking for something barbones and just fast since i'll be doing long distance travelling.

I've had a peek at the WRX and EVO X GSR, both seems solid and are in my price range. I've also looked at the IS250 AWD, price is a bit high though, coming in around $37,500. But it sure is nice.

I'd really appeciate any help guys, thanks in advance!

If you want that:
    Quote Originally Posted by LTT View Post
    Creature comforts would be nice as well, I'm not looking for something barbones and just fast since i'll be doing long distance travelling.
    don't go for these:
    I've had a peek at the WRX and EVO X GSR, both seems solid and are in my price range.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Infinity G35?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If you want that:

don't go for these:
    What's wrong with those? As long as it's not an STI or Evolution (he could get the Ralliart one), it should be fine.

Edit- Nevermind, they aren't that luxurious, but yeah, you need to drive them all to see which one you want.

Yeah, the G35, Audi A4, and BMW 3 Series all come in 4WD variants. Check those out.

I would also look at the Subaru Legacy GT.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What's wrong with those? As long as it's not an STI or Evolution (he could get the Ralliart one), it should be fine.

Edit- Nevermind, they aren't that luxurious, but yeah, you need to drive them all to see which one you want.

Yeah, the G35, Audi A4, and BMW 3 Series all come in 4WD variants. Check those out.

I would also look at the Subaru Legacy GT.
    He does mention the Evo, and I thought he mentioned the STI as well (just realised it's the WRX).

Even so if you want a long distance cruiser I'd rather look somewhere else. The Legacy is a good suggestion. Perhaps Passat, if it's available with four wheel drive?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    He does mention the Evo, and I thought he mentioned the STI as well (just realised it's the WRX).

Even so if you want a long distance cruiser I'd rather look somewhere else. The Legacy is a good suggestion. Perhaps Passat, if it's available with four wheel drive?
    Yeah, I edited my statement. He wanted a cruiser. Mitsubishi doesn't really make one, but the Legacy is pretty much the same thing, except more luxurious.

My cousin has a manual Legacy GT. It packs quite a punch. Probably the fastest accelerating car I've ever ridden in. First time feeling the sucked-in-the-seat-feeling is good.

G37 coupe now comes awd too

Infiniti G, never heard a complaint bout it yet!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

4mo VR Passat would fit the highway cruiser part well. Reliability is spotty. They either run like a well oiled German machine... or a poorly oiled German machine. Parts availability is sometimes sketchy, too.

Comfort =/ STI/Evo. I think even the WRX is a little bit of a rougher ride anymore.

Best bets may be a lower end A4 or 3 series. Don't be afraid of not having AWD in snow.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

V50 T5 AWD may be another good option.
    Visca Catalunya!

Great points guys, thanks. A quick look on bmw.ca tells me I can't get into a AWD 3 for less than 42,500 (328xi) the G sedan is close at $40,000 for the G37x. Though if I could find one of those that's a year or 2 old they may be a possibility for me. Of those two I'd lean toward the G, I've had a ride in one and its a beautiful car.

I didn't realize the Evo was as rough around the edges to be honest, but I think its something I'd need to drive for myself and see what it really feels like.

The legacy is a car I forgot about and would certainly would be worth a drive. I thought about a passat and went to see them and its just not something I'm interested in. I'll have a look into the Volvo too. Thanks again for the suggestions, keep 'em comin!

Would you really want an STI or Evo in the snow in Nova Scotia? It'd wreck them and they are sports-like cars.

I dunno, I guess you could consider 2004ish A4s, 3-series, and G35s. All have AWD models available as well and are not that expensive used (the 3-series probably retaining value better than the other two).

Personally I'd probably get an EVO and screw both comfort and fuel economy.

What I'd recommend to others is a whole different story... Being sensible I'd check out what Audi, Subaru and Volvo has to offer, in that order. Infinities (if that's what they are called in plural) I'm not too familiar with.

If everything else fail import a Fiat Panda 4x4!!!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

More good points and more thanks.

Yeah, the company is paying mileage for me (gas + wear and tear + 1/2 hourly wage) so fuel economy is not that high on my list.

Part of me really wants and Evo and always has, but I could be disappointed with the firm ride from what I'm hearing. As for the Audi/BMW/Inifiniti/Volvo option, I guess that all depends on my local dealers have in the pre-owned section. Thanks very much for the imput again!

More good points and more thanks.

Yeah, the company is paying mileage for me (gas + wear and tear + 1/2 hourly wage) so fuel economy is not that high on my list.

Part of me really wants and Evo and always has, but I could be disappointed with the firm ride from what I'm hearing. As for the Audi/BMW/Inifiniti/Volvo option, I guess that all depends on my local dealers have in the pre-owned section. Thanks very much for the imput again!
    Isn't the Ford Fusion or the Taurus available with four wheel drive?

They might be a good budget option.
    Visca Catalunya!

Personally I don't think the EVO is that bad. So it'd be fine for me as a daily driver. I haven't driven it in rough terrain nor in snow though.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information