Thread: Microsoft Excel Help

Microsoft Excel Help

Yes, I know it's not a computer forum, but I need some help with Excel, since I haven't used it ever before. I'm using Microsoft Excel 2008 on a Mac, and I accidentally entered lots of data in as a column instead of a row. The easy way would be to retype all that info in, but I really don't want to do that. So how do I turn a column into a row?

Thanks a lot!

Copy the column, right click on empty cells, select "paste special", and in the new dialog box select "transpose" and hit ok.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    What RacingManiac says is the standard way that will work with all excel versions since forever. I think 2008 actually has a single button in the menus that will do that to a selected region too. Probably under the data tab.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I think 2008 sucks.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I think 2008 sucks.
    Just need to get used to it The new interface is pretty easy IMO, though at first it is confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Copy the column, right click on empty cells, select "paste special", and in the new dialog box select "transpose" and hit ok.
    Wow, you have no idea how much time you just saved me. Thanks!

The only issue now is that my X-axis is wrong. I was using the years 1895 to 2008 and I don't think it even considered my X-axis, it just plotted it along with the other information.

You're right, 2008 is crappy. I remember using an older version once and it had the wizard to help you along.

heh, I don't have 2008...I just posted whatever way it works in what I use at work...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    After using it a bit, 2008 does have some nice features. I'm not sold on the tab system though. I think the amount of information for each category works better with menus.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wow, you have no idea how much time you just saved me. Thanks!

The only issue now is that my X-axis is wrong. I was using the years 1895 to 2008 and I don't think it even considered my X-axis, it just plotted it along with the other information.

You're right, 2008 is crappy. I remember using an older version once and it had the wizard to help you along.

You can re-select the data the x-axis references to...just edit the data range...

You learn excel pretty quickly by working with it....I learned excel mainly through my first year University's first lab report....we had to grab a large data file with like tens of thousands of points in it(from a tensile test), and plot stress strain curve out of that....never used excel extensively in High School and it was basically sitting in front of my computer for 4 hours to learn to do everything....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

2008? Is there some newer version that the internet isn't aware of?

slash pedantry.

the mac version is 2008, not 2007 like the windows version.

You can re-select the data the x-axis references to...just edit the data range...

You learn excel pretty quickly by working with it....I learned excel mainly through my first year University's first lab report....we had to grab a large data file with like tens of thousands of points in it(from a tensile test), and plot stress strain curve out of that....never used excel extensively in High School and it was basically sitting in front of my computer for 4 hours to learn to do everything....
    Can you be more clear please? Thanks.

What chart type are you using? If you are plotting an x-y plot(scattered or line), you can select your x axis and y axis data independently. Then all you have to do to reassign the value is to right click on your chart, select "source data", and under the series tab you can pick the range you want for x or y axis...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

What chart type are you using? If you are plotting an x-y plot(scattered or line), you can select your x axis and y axis data independently. Then all you have to do to reassign the value is to right click on your chart, select "source data", and under the series tab you can pick the range you want for x or y axis...
    I'm doing a double line graph. I right clicked it, and I see select data, but it says range. Shouldn't it be domain if I want it to be x values?

Update- I just finished it. I cheated by using Excel 2003 by switching to Windows. Finished.

Long story short, what happened to the Chart making wizard in 2008's version of Excel?
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 03-10-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Thread Information