Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two giant slayers from Lotus and Abarth ...

Two giant slayers from Lotus and Abarth ...

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

In racing there are few things more exciting than watching a smaller, seemingly underpowered cars take on more potent opposition. These David vs. Goliath match-ups are a rare sight these days but were very common back in the 1950s and 1960s when the grids were much more varied. Today we take a closer look at two very famous 'giant slayers.'
    Colin Chapman's design philosophy of 'add more lightness' greatly contributed in the exceptional performance of his Lotus cars on the track. One of the last of his great road racers was the Elan 26R. Based on the road going Elan, it uses the typical Lotus backbone chassis combined with the twin-cam Cosworth/BRM tuned 1.6 litre four cylinder. Between 1964 and 1966 these nimble machines dominated their class and regularly beat much larger engined opposition. It is estimated that nearly a hundred were built all of which were raced by privateers. In our feature gallery we have shots of six examples in action during the 2007 Goodwood Revival and 2008 Monterey Historic Races.
    In 1950s Italy many privateer racers sent their machines to Abarth to have the engine tuned or to Zagato for a lightweight and slippery body. It was only logical that the two companies would eventually team up. Taking the very modest Fiat 600 as a base, they created Fiat Abarth 750 Zagato. Abarth enlarged the engine to 747 cc and Zagato provided the bodywork. The result was 43 bhp in a 535 kg and absolute domination in the 750 class of international racing. Among the dozens of victories were class wins in the Mille Miglia and in the Sebring 12 Hours. Needless to say the tiny Abarths were often found ahead of machinery with twice or three times the engine size. Our detailed article is illustrated with pictures of two fine examples.

Enjoy the links:

1956 - 1960 Fiat Abarth 750 Zagato Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

1964 - 1966 Lotus Elan 26R - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

some bonus pics, one to illustrate that the 26R is still racing against the big boys, although the Grand Sport proved to be a bit too big. Many Mustangs and Corvettes could not keep up with the nimble Elan, as it was sometimes even two-wheeling through turn 11 at Laguna.
    The Elan has been a winner in recent versions of the Tour Auto as well, although were not always R models. He is a real R, in Tour Auto 2005.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

thanks Pieter, your bonus are always highly appreciated.
    I can't imagine the face of the Mustang's driver looking at the Lotus disappearing at the horizon.
    Having met both cars, how many Elan can fit inside of a Mustang?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Several years ago the 26R that raced at Nassau in '64 was for sale, $36,000 asking.
    Original everything, it had a brief, uneventful SCCA history and was tucked away in air-conditioned storage. A friend that deals in Loti, Marcos, TVR and other Brit oddities offered it just as I got into the restoration of two expensive, complicated projects. Had to pass but immediately regretted doing so. Man, I wish I had bought it! They fetch far more serious money today. More importantly, they are a blast to drive hard and will smoke concurrent Porsches. Blisteringly fast in the right hands.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Blisteringly fast in the right hands.
    The red car at Laguna was driven by one of our forum members, but he did not know that he was actually two-wheeling in turn 11, until he saw the pic...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The red car at Laguna was driven by one of our forum members, but he did not know that he was actually two-wheeling in turn 11, until he saw the pic...
    A thing of wonderment and beauty.
    Bicycling with stability, perceived or real. Who's the driver? Don't make me go hunting through old VM's, please.

I've seen both of these 26R's at different vintage events. There's a green one in Jacksonville Florida, I think. Brian Redman's last Group 66 event had that one blasting some big-bore boys off the track. Very competitive, absolutely howling exhaust note. Wish I had bought one when I had the opportunity.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    A thing of wonderment and beauty.
    Bicycling with stability, perceived or real. Who's the driver?
    Hans (John) Hugenholtz.

access pics

Hi All
    trying to access pics maybe this post will reactivate my account!!
    Dave Hughes
    Elan 26-R-9

Quote Originally Posted by bigvalvehead View Post
    Hi All
    trying to access pics maybe this post will reactivate my account!!
    Dave Hughes
    Elan 26-R-9
    Hi Dave. Is your car one of the pictures examples?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

elan 26r

Hi Walter
    No my car hasn't turned a wheel in a long time. Being rebuilt to original spec for historic racing. Once belonged to Peter Pulver of Dutchess Autos and was raced at Sebring in 1965 see pic att'd.
    I have spoken to and met Peter several times. He is living in Florida now and has some fascinating tales to tell.
    Regards
    Dave

elan

Sorry Wouter
    brain fade today changed your name!!!!
    Regards
    Dave

Very nice. Interesting to see pop-up headlights on a 26R. Can't wait to see your car back on track. Do you have pictures from the restoration?

(Ted Joans)

26R

Hi
    the early S1 26r's all had pop ups later changed to plexiglass covers to save weight. The S2 26R's had "chinese Eye" lights which were smaller and smoother.
    Att'd are some pics of the rebuild. I have now purchased a new super light shell 44kg and made all the hardware, door handles, boot hinges, window scissors etc from alloy. I hope the car will be around the 575kg area when finished.
    regards
    Dave

That looks very interesting. Could you keep us posted of the progress?

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by bigvalvehead View Post
    Hi
    the early S1 26r's all had pop ups later changed to plexiglass covers to save weight.
    26-R-10 was auctioned by Bonhams this year at the Retromobile show, it has plastic covers. If original than your car is the last with the pop-ups

Thread Information