Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda abandons diesels in favor of hybrids

Honda abandons diesels in favor of hybrids

Honda abandons diesels in favor of hybrids

Thanks to stricter emissions regulations in the United States and Japan, Honda has officially canceled its future diesel plans. The Japanese automaker had planned diesel powerplants for a number of its Honda and Acura vehicles, but will now focus on hybrid technology.

Honda President Takeo Fukui says the decision to abandon diesels was largely based on the cost of making the oil burners compliant with regulations in the U.S. and Japan. “Even for larger-size vehicles, we think it’s more realistic to think about hybrids,” Fukui told Automotive News. “Therefore, we have changed our thinking.” Honda hasn’t made a large hybrid since the Accord Hybrid ended its production run in 2007.

Honda’s decision to abandon clean diesels has already become apparent in one production model. The Acura TSX was slated to get a diesel option this year, but Honda ultimately decided to go with a larger gas V6 engine to avoid any emissions headaches. The Honda Accord and Pilot were also slated to receive a diesel option, but those plans are likely DOA at this point.
    trough leftlanenews

Excuse me for this Pieter .

As I thought, after my engines' course at unviersity, diesels' life is getting closer to its end.
    Due mainly to stricter emissions laws the cost and technical task to improve their performance while reducing their emissions is becoming inconvenient compared to hybrids and even regular petrol concepts (diesotto or hcci for American members), which are reportedly going to provide better results compared to their costs.
    This is also confirmed by the return of quite a lot of new petrol turbocharged engines in various cars and tuning steps, while diesels' performance aren't improving so much or fast as they used.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I doubt they are doing it in Europe though. It'd be suicide.

Not that they are big seller now either.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I hate hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I doubt they are doing it in Europe though. It'd be suicide.

Not that they are big seller now either.
    they stopped the development of new engines, so that means we will have at least another full gen or even two of cars with diesels progressively substituted by new petrol ones and hybrids

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    they stopped the development of new engines, so that means we will have at least another full gen or even two of cars with diesels progressively substituted by new petrol ones and hybrids
    Do you really think they stopped completely development of diesels, or just of new diesels for the US? Think that the website you quote is US based.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Do you really think they stopped completely development of diesels, or just of new diesels for the US? Think that the website you quote is US based.
    Considering Honda was relying only on the 2.2 liter, I would assume this has a worldwide value. I would also say a new engine or even two are already ready for the EU market.

They sold the Accord Hybrid here, then stopped in favor of the diesel.

They are as aimless as VW.

The Accord hybrid was a "performance" variant. It wasn't the most efficient they could make it- they used a V6, for example.

Sounds like a stupid reason. I hope it isn't true.

Hmm I don't think it was dropped because of emissions because even the Dodge Cummins 6.7L Bluetec meets even California's emission requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Hmm I don't think it was dropped because of emissions because even the Dodge Cummins 6.7L Bluetec meets even California's emission requirements.
    they are talking about development of new engines, with future regulations. Right now the situation is fine.

For the emission concern, does it only apply to actual diesel fuel, or is the same case with the bio diesel or other type of synthetic diesel due to the combustion process? Doesn't diesel engine operates with better efficiency anyway?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    For the emission concern, does it only apply to actual diesel fuel, or is the same case with the bio diesel or other type of synthetic diesel due to the combustion process? Doesn't diesel engine operates with better efficiency anyway?
    that's a good question, but since they stopped the overall development, it seems, maybe those "alternative" fuels aren't that better.
    The main issue about diesels is the kind of emissions they create, so even being more efficient, it isn't as easy as with petrol to avoid those emissions or recover them in the exhaust's line.

yeah that will work until CO2 is inevitably classified as a pollutant (it is not right now in the US) and diesels will make sense again because of the lower CO2 emissions per unit of distance traveled.

Why not combine both and create a diesel-electric hybrid and reap the benefits of both technologies?

Even if as 2CC pointed out a diesel makes much more sense as a pure generator of power (serial hybrid layout), I think one of the stronger points of new electric and plug-in cars is the lack of a drivetrain and other mechanical parts allowing for more rooms both from people and for their luggages.
    The point is a diesel engine is usually bigger than a petrol one, especially with small displacement ones (compare a 1.3 diesel from say Fiat and their 1.2 or 1.4 engine, even the 1.4 turbo which is twice as powerful with an excellent mileage given the performance).
    Also, they are heavier, and hotter while runnig, therefore requiring stronger sub frames and bigger radiators, in the end reducing the point of having more space to use the way you want (think about how low is the Fisker Karma's cockpit).
    I don't know for sure if the situation is as bad as I supposed, but I would be really interested in learning more about.
    Looking at diesels' mileages, it would be quite obvious to adopt them to drop even more the fuel consumption of a hybrid.

Another point: I don't know much about this stuff, I hate electricity, but could it be that the higher torque and especially the higher rapidity of development of that torque could be a problem for the alternator to absorb the power? Or something.

nice to see how manufacturers can have different strategies. In "our" motoring news last week it was reported that Mazda will concentrate on diesel engines as the future power option and will not go for hybrids....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information