Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FIA announces future F1 plans

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Then what would be the point of having rules at all...?
    The point is to convince all the teams to sign up to the budget cap of their own will, as the FIA cant force it upon them.
    I am the Stig

The first time I read this through I recoiled, but after reading it again, I have found some merit in their plans. Of course, being a modern F1 structuring strategy it has some rather large holes.
    I think the public is very tired of the manipulation of rules and regulations to further Bernie and the FIA's agenda. In this I agree with fpv_gtho. I think single-tiered racing is what people want, unless the cars are equally able to win, even if on different tracks (ie. LMP2 cars giving the P1ers a run for their money on the very tight circuits (but it would have to be more equal than that, as there clearly is a superior (over the course of a season) car)).
    Refuelling during a race will be forbidden in order to save the costs of transporting refuelling equipment and increase the incentive for engine builders to improve fuel economy (to save weight).
    Increase fuel economy by lowering weight, eh? What a concept.
    Oh, wait, they can't do that. For some reason the cars have to be 605kg.

<400kg or bust!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Why cap at 13 teams and 26 cars? Why not allow anyone who shows up with a legal car to try to qualify and race? Imagine an F1 race where a team had to go home because they got bumped from the grid! That would be like the good days of Indy (which aren't these days...)

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The problem as pointed out by many pundits is that a effective "two-tier" championship requires performance balancing. And at anytime when there is an artificial "leveled field", the results is artificial. It makes something like championship meaningless because they aren't competing with the same rule. Its like if you let NCAA player shoots regular basketball 3 pt line and NBAer shoots the NBA 3pt line, and put them in a 3 pt shooting competition.....
    It's not entirely a 2 tier system. All teams are free to chose either tier. If BMW thinks they have a lot of creative ideas and can win with the cost controlled rules, why not. I really do like the idea of bringing creativity rather than simply high dollar refinement back into the sport.

Incidentally, I do see issues with the idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Why cap at 13 teams and 26 cars? Why not allow anyone who shows up with a legal car to try to qualify and race? Imagine an F1 race where a team had to go home because they got bumped from the grid! That would be like the good days of Indy (which aren't these days...)
    They did so as well in the late 80's and early 90's in F1.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

With this I agree, but considering how light the cars are already, how much will economy really improve if the cars are made lighter? Furthermore, because of the engine size restrictions, the cars must rev to astronomical rpms in order to achieve the necessary power to be competitive, and as we all know (unfortunately) revs aren't free. I think that that is the main reason why fuel economy is so poor and not so much a factor of the weight. But, I do love the signature screemin' F1 engines, a real engineering marvel.

Also, if fueled up at the begining of the race, can the cars make it an entire race without needing to add fuel or would modifications need to be made such as larger gas tanks or shortening the races? The thing is, more gas on board seems like it could be a hazard and F1 already has realatively short races compared to other racing series'. Furthermore, I feel that this takes some of the essential and competitive element out of a good pit stop strategy.

^ There is also a practical consideration in taking the weight too low ... the driver
    Look around the paddock now and they're all skinny, smallish guys in the main.
    I'd rather NOT have a set of rules that favoured jockey-sized folks over skill !!

Fuel on board is not a major issue as tey use competition tanks which don't "leak" if split/damaged. So only a complete and continuous crush woudl be a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    They did so as well in the late 80's and early 90's in F1.
    It would be nice if they could return to that. Did they do the same prior to the 1980s?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Look around the paddock now and they're all skinny, smallish guys in the main.
    I'd rather NOT have a set of rules that favoured jockey-sized folks over skill !!
    They already have that. I can't imagine a guy the size of AJ Foytt driving a modern F1 car... even when Foytt wasn't as big as he is today.

IRL does have an issue with this because they don't account for driver weight. That's a big plus for Danica Patric. Also even if you do account for driver weight, a tall driver will place weight higher in the car. A small driver's body CG is in about the same spot as the tall driver. But if say the weight difference is 20kg, that 20kg can be carried as ballast right at the bottom of the chassis. Thus the combined weight of driver and added ballast will have a lower CG than that of a big driver.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    It would be nice if they could return to that. Did they do the same prior to the 1980s?
    Not AFAIK.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    2008 F1 team resources

Toyota: $445.6m
    McLaren: $433.3m
    Ferrari: $414.9m
    Honda: $398.1m
    Renault: $393.8m
    BMW Sauber: $366.8m
    Red Bull Racing: $164.7m
    Williams: $160.6m
    Toro Rosso: $128.2m
    Force India: $121.85m

The difference in terms of spending between BMW and the next contender is chaotic ($200m). I also tend to believe that BMW is a "new" team and will spend when they have the know-how to achieve results. I don't know about 2009, but I think that BMW will certainly outspend Honda (now Brawn) and perhaps Renault, as they always complain for financial woes.

Bottom line, manufacturers will be driven away if the budget cap continues. Maybe they will just supply engines, like Mercedes.
    as stated previously, BMW is the manufacturer team who spends the least amount of money, not the overall team who spends the least. RBR, Williams, STR and Force India are all privateers, therefore they have smaller budgets.
    BMW isn't completely a new team for two reasons: they are into F1 engines since , then they didn't set up a new team, but purchased a well enstablished one, Sauber, continuing to use their own facilities and various stuff. As Renault did with Benetton, or RBR with Jaguar, or STR with Minardi, or Force India with Spyker...whe was the last time an actual new team was established?

And I continue to not understand why this new rule should scary away manufacturers.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

<400kg or bust!
    I think you misunderstand the rationale. The cars next year will be starting the race the other side of 750kg, whilst they're currently starting the race around 650kg. If they can get the engines to be more economical, they can start the race with less fuel and thus be lighter.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I think you misunderstand the rationale. The cars next year will be starting the race the other side of 750kg, whilst they're currently starting the race around 650kg. If they can get the engines to be more economical, they can start the race with less fuel and thus be lighter.
    Right. What I like about this rule at least in theory is that cars will gamble track position on how early and often they desire a tire change. Kind of like NASCAR pit stops can run askew with no/2/4 tire strategies.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

What the hell is a refuelling ban? That is a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    BMW isn't completely a new team for two reasons: they are into F1 engines since , then they didn't set up a new team, but purchased a well enstablished one, Sauber, continuing to use their own facilities and various stuff. As Renault did with Benetton, or RBR with Jaguar, or STR with Minardi, or Force India with Spyker...whe was the last time an actual new team was established?
    True, but it takes an organisation a lot of time to learn and improve. Since Sauber themselves did not have a huge budget in the first place, it wasn't logical for BMW to start spending to Toyota levels.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    And I continue to not understand why this new rule should scary away manufacturers.
    Manufacturers always try to achieve their results by taking advantage of their vast resources. But if they want to do that, they have to add complexity to the organisation. That is why smaller teams can react quicker to rule changes
    (e.g. Renault having a double diffuser in Malaysia I think).

Let's not forget that BMW has been in the sport for 10 years more or less and that Renault is always complaining that they don't have enough budget and that they will pull off the plug. In fact in 2006 Renault really threatened to quit F1 because of managerial changes.

In general a budget cap favors ingenuity and not vast resources, thus disadvantaging manufacturers
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Thread Information