Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotus Evora

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's called the APX.

Thankfully it's just a concept though.
    Sold to ZAP, the unofficial mk1 Smart US importer.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yay.

But the thing is, the whole point of the Evora is to stay nimble, but not be as back breaking as the Elise. If you want an Elise, you'd get one.

But the thing is, I don't think that a stripped out street version is too far away anyway, with the formula of the Exige. So keep your hopes up buddy.
    But what's the point of a heavy Lotus?

It'd be like an unreliable Toyota. Or a good Audi.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Your definition of heavy is too stringent. Loosen up a bit.

Your definition of heavy is too stringent. Loosen up a bit.
    It weights the same as a Cayman S.

So it's seriously overweight.
    Visca Catalunya!

But the thing is, the whole point of the Evora is to stay nimble, but not be as back breaking as the Elise. If you want an Elise, you'd get one.
    Correct, but the Elise weighs about 900 kg (2000 lbs). The Evora weighs 1300+ kg (3000 lbs / + 33% over Elise) for the 280 hp version. Definetly, the addition of a supercharger will add more weight.

I was expecting something around 1100 kg to be honest. Let's hope the Esprit successor will fill that gap (Crossing fingers)
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Correct, but the Elise weighs about 900 kg (2000 lbs). The Evora weighs 1300+ kg (3000 lbs / + 33% over Elise) for the 280 hp version. Definetly, the addition of a supercharger will add more weight.

I was expecting something around 1100 kg to be honest. Let's hope the Esprit successor will fill that gap (Crossing fingers)
    The Exige weights 930 kg, while the Exige R (with the supercharger) weights 930 kg and the Exige S (again supercharger) weights 935 kg.
    They are still Lotus after all.
    Also, it seems the Evora is a much mroe usable car for everyday fast commuting, that would explain the weight, let alone those nearly useless back seats if not as an additional storing place.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The Exige weights 930 kg, while the Exige R (with the supercharger) weights 930 kg and the Exige S (again supercharger) weights 935 kg.
    They are still Lotus after all.
    Also, it seems the Evora is a much mroe usable car for everyday fast commuting, that would explain the weight, let alone those nearly useless back seats if not as an additional storing place.
    Concerning the Evora weight, it is the same when compared to the competition (Boxster). Given that the Lotus mantra is "Performance through lightweight", I would expect a car that would be far lighter than the category competition. I am not comparing to Elises - Exiges etc , as they are a totally different category.

The Evora could be more usable than the Elise, but I doubt if it will be any more usable than the Boxster - Z4 etc. That's why I think that they could try and improve future Evora successors by reducing weight where possible.

Of course this could be more difficult since they will be using the VVA chassis architecture which will give a weight penalty in order to cut costs.

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Concerning the Evora weight, it is the same when compared to the competition (Boxster). Given that the Lotus mantra is "Performance through lightweight", I would expect a car that would be far lighter than the category competition. I am not comparing to Elises - Exiges etc , as they are a totally different category.

The Evora could be more usable than the Elise, but I doubt if it will be any more usable than the Boxster - Z4 etc. That's why I think that they could try and improve future Evora successors by reducing weight where possible.

Of course this could be more difficult since they will be using the VVA chassis architecture which will give a weight penalty in order to cut costs.
    my point was about the different weight between the Exiges with and without the supercharger, therefore underlining a supercharged Evora would weight just about 50 kg (exasperating).

One point defending its weight are those rear seats.
    Try to figure how much it would save without them, with a shorter chassis a other parts to to without.
    The opponents as the Z4 coupe (1.395 kg for the 3.0, and 1.495 for the M) or the Cayman (1.330 kg or 1.350 kg for the S) are just two seater, while the Evora with 1.350 kg can seat four (almost) and has also an older engine not really designed for such a lightweight application.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    My point was about the different weight between the Exiges with and without the supercharger
    My bad, I missed that. But in order to keep weight in check they deleted weight from somewhere else in the car. Let's hope they can make the supercharger Evora a lot lighter, not just keep it the same as the base model.

And no folding hardtops!

If there's ever a Catalan Top Gear, my vote goes to you being the main presenter on it, because that was brilliant. A good Audi? Priceless.

You wouldn't even classify the R8 as good? The S8?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You wouldn't even classify the R8 as good? The S8?
    I guess the R8 is ok.

But everything else is pretty much useless. The A8 has an interesting technology, unfortunately there's something called Jaguar XJ in the market so that's that gone. And the other day I almost saw the point of the A5 Convertible, I mean in open top motoring with the wind in your hair the nose heaviness, dead steering and rampant understeer aren't as important when you're cruising along. And then I thought that I could have sort of the same sensation in a Yugo Cabriolet for about 3p without having to pay an insane amount of money for the ultimate rip-off for people who don't know cars.

I'm sorry.
    Visca Catalunya!

The A5 is so dang pretty though - I want it for that but for the other things it is not so hot. Does the new MLB/MLP (B8) platform allow the engine to be behind the front axle? From Wiki:

The MLB (Modularer Längsbaukasten (German)) or Audi MLP (Modular Longitudinal Platform), sometimes referred to as the B8 platform, is noteworthy for placing the front differential ahead of the clutch, allowing the front axle to be moved forward 4 inches. This increase in wheelbase causes a more rearward weight distribution for better vehicle dynamics.
    Maybe Audi is trying to kill nose heaviness?

The A5 is so dang pretty though - I want it for that but for the other things it is not so hot. Does the new MLB/MLP (B8) platform allow the engine to be behind the front axle? From Wiki:

Maybe Audi is trying to kill nose heaviness?
    I've read there's apparently a problem with that. Poor traction on relatively powerful front drivers.
    Visca Catalunya!

I've read there's apparently a problem with that. Poor traction on relatively powerful front drivers.
    That is why the base models should be rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive then maybe...

Still, does anyone know if they are now front-middle engined instead of front engined?

That is why the base models should be rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive then maybe...
    The problem is that then Audi's main selling point would be almost pointless.

And by the way, I don't think new Audi's are front-mid engined just that the engine has moved back a bit.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information