Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
I think you've got the wrong take on this collection. I get the sentiment that the chap or chapess collected british (in the main) cars that no one wanted back when they would have been crushed and basically saved them for posterity. But, as his collection grew he couldn't bear to part with a single item.

Collecting is a well known disease, whether it be cars, stamps or whatever, and once it bites there is no stopping it. I take the view here that there are a considerable number of cars and parts now perhaps for sale that otherwise would have been melted down to make Detroit iron. I often wonder whether I'll sell my cars as I get older but then I think of Walter Hill and his fabulous collection of Jaguars in Florida. Written on the beam over the collection was the following:-

THEIR SWEET LINES ALL BUT TAKE MY BREATH AWAY,
AND I DESIRE THEM AS MUCH FOR THEIR BEAUTY AS THEIR USE

To me that says it all. I may one day get old and no longer be able to drive, but I can still open the garage door and grin.
Yeah, youre right. Thats how i think about it as well. It must just be there....for me. After my death...well they can do to it what they want to, even call the scrapmerchands, hopefully they are by then not afraid of ghosts