Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SAAB sold to Koenigsegg

In the US Saab uses the tagline "Born From Jets". In comparison to the CCX, jets seem really boring.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

So, has it been since 1990 that Saab has lost its appeal? People keep mentioning that GM's international push for Saab is a reason that sales and interest has been down despite customer loyalty. Can someone shed some light on this for me.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    So, has it been since 1990 that Saab has lost its appeal? People keep mentioning that GM's international push for Saab is a reason that sales and interest has been down despite customer loyalty. Can someone shed some light on this for me.
    I'd say it has been mainly focused on product, Saab's loss of appeal.

Since the 90's Saabs have been getting mainstream, losing with every generation more and more distinctive treats.

And then there are monstrosities like 9-2X and the 9-7X.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The 600 M $ comes from a bank, which in turn has a close tie with the Swedish Government, so it's a bit different.
    Yeah, that sounds a lot more reassuring. Thanks for clearing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And then there are monstrosities like 9-2X and the 9-7X.
    What happened to the 9-2X Saabaru? It was quickly forgotten. Is it still in production?
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    What happened to the 9-2X Saabaru? It was quickly forgotten. Is it still in production?
    IIRC it was discontinued because nobody bought one. In any case it was based on the old generation Impreza.
    Visca Catalunya!

IIRC it was discontinued because nobody bought one. In any case it was based on the old generation Impreza.
    it was discontinued, but having known an owner, it was pretty cool. you got the engine from an STi, the less aggressive suspension from the WRX, and a way better interior. wife was interested a few years back, but they discontinued it by the time we were in the market for her car.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    it was discontinued, but having known an owner, it was pretty cool. you got the engine from an STi, the less aggressive suspension from the WRX, and a way better interior. wife was interested a few years back, but they discontinued it by the time we were in the market for her car.
    I don't think the problem was that it was a bad car, but rather that they tried to pull a 159 with it. Likewise with the 9-7x, if at the other end of the scale.
    Visca Catalunya!

What Saab do you have, by the way?
    I have a 1999 9-5 SE, with a 2.3 Lt Turbo engine. It's a very nice car, and a dream to drive
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    im sorry! i just never liked them thats all. i didn't mean to make you angry. my apologies.
    Haha, no worries

Have you driven one before? You should try, and you can't seriously say it can't match BMWs and Mercedes of the same class.

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    Have you driven one before? You should try, and you can't seriously say it can't match BMWs and Mercedes of the same class.
    Really? What if you are looking for having the rear wheels driven? Or natural aspiration? Or higher a higher performance model?

It seems to me that Saab leaves you high and dry on those three fronts for the most part.

Also consider: what's nicer looking across the ages? Maybe it's just me but I have a massive dislike of Saab's designs throughout it's history.

I think it's a pretty bold claim to say that a Saab is the equal of a BMW or Benz of that same class frankly - and I personally doubt that the automotive press would share your sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Really? What if you are looking for having the rear wheels driven? Or natural aspiration? Or higher a higher performance model?

It seems to me that Saab leaves you high and dry on those three fronts for the most part.

Also consider: what's nicer looking across the ages? Maybe it's just me but I have a massive dislike of Saab's designs throughout it's history.

I think it's a pretty bold claim to say that a Saab is the equal of a BMW or Benz of that same class frankly - and I personally doubt that the automotive press would share your sentiments.
    Let's just say Saabs have very distinctive designs, and that liking it or hating it is very subjective.

And not all cars in the world are made for performance. Anyway, I'm sure their Aero models can't be that bad for a sports saloon of it's price range.

Honestly, I maybe biased cos I have one, but I have been in/driven cars of the same year, and same price/class, such as pre-2000 Merc C classes, and BMW 3 series of 2001/2002, and the Saab I have is far superior in terms of quality and comfort. More space, better equipment eg. sound system, and better safety.

Part of the financing of the project is via a court approved debt reduction of Saab's debt to GM of 75%

Saab gets debt reduction
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    Haha, no worries

oh! i didn't say anything about Saabs and Bimmers and Benz's. you must of got that off of somewhere else.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    oh! i didn't say anything about Saabs and Bimmers and Benz's. you must of got that off of somewhere else.
    I know, I was just using them as a comparison.

Thread Information