Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old school taken it to new school.

Old school taken it to new school.

Old school ZR-1 vs porsche club in Germany. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kXaW-tzes"]YouTube - Corvette ZR1 vs. Porsche Club Salzburgring[/ame]
    It's intersting to read the Porsche jocks comments in German. They all claim that if the Porsches had real race drivers and not "dentists" as one put it, the Porsches would mop up the Vette. Of course they don't comment about the fact that ZR-1 is 20 years old against their new cars. I've only drag raced mine so far. Road racing will be next. And a good life insurance policy.
    How would I describe myself?
    Three words - hardworking, alpha male, jackhammer. Merciless. Insatiable.

Early in the video it strikes me as extremely obvious that no one is going race pace. So all "ZR1 > porsche" comments are moot.

Around 4:40, the black GT3 absolutely monsters away from the vette out of the chicanes.. Its completely on who puts their foot down first that makes the ground.
    Last edited by whiteballz; 07-19-2009 at 08:13 AM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Early in the video it strikes me as extremely obvious that no one is going race pace. So all "ZR1 > porsche" comments are moot.

Around 4:40, the black GT3 absolutely monsters away from the vette out of the chicanes.. Its completely on who puts their foot down first that makes the ground.
    I did'nt see anybody monster away from him at 4:40. Besides this is a car that has no twin turbos to assist it. Just 4 overhead cams 32 valves. Its just nice to see somebody drive it the way it was meant to be driven. Most of my fellow ZR-1 owners here in the states never drive them. They keep them in the garage looking pretty with low miles on them. Mostly because they are rare. From 1990 to 1995 they only built 6,939 of them. And god only knows out of that number how many of them were totalled or people that bought the farm in them.
    Last edited by rhipsher; 07-19-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
    I did'nt see anybody monster away from him at 4:40. Besides this is a car that has no twin turbos to assist it.
    you are blinded by your prejudice. GT3 is naturally aspirated.

Someone needs to teach this guy how to heel toe. He's losing time just trying to down shift. Miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Someone needs to teach this guy how to heel toe. He's losing time just trying to down shift. Miserable.
    I don't think any of the drivers on that track are professionals. Id like to see your heel toe technique on video. And if its better! Than I'll graciously admit it. But until I see it! Its just a bunch of hot air. I think porsches are and for that matter most euopean sports cars are top of the line when it comes to performance style and technology. I'd be kidding myself to think otherwise.
    But on the other hand to see a car 20 years old in inexperianced hands with very few mods hanging with the european heavy hitters is impressive. To minimize it would be bias on your part.
    Last edited by rhipsher; 07-19-2009 at 12:29 PM.

I don't think any of the drivers on that track are professionals.
    So being a professional driver won't help you if you are in the naturally aspirated Porsche....? Only if you are in the Corvette?

Not to mention how many holes are in your argument, in terms of the car's abilities.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I don't think he's working it that hard to warrant h/t.
    Besides on a car with that amount of torque it's less critical.
    Brake to the speed you want/need and chose the gear then accelerate from tickover ... that's torque for you h/t is a real necessity on cars that need to keep the revs up to get the drive out of a corner - so changing down is happening at the top end of the rev range and not the bottom.

Like most of the in-car vdeos, we don't know the situation and makes it near impossible to "judge".

So being a professional driver won't help you if you are in the naturally aspirated Porsche....? Of course it will. I can see that you refuse to concede anything to a low class vette. Its to bad that not everybody can apprieciate a sports car that costs half as much and can just about dish out the same performance. Even if they see it with there own eyes and refuse to give it any kind of thumbs up at all. Lets at least be a little open minded here.
    Lets look at it from another angle. Right now you can pic up a 90-95 ZR-1 in the $20,000 range that will do 0-60 in 4.2 sec. Will do the 1/4 mile in 12.9@111mph bone stock with a top speed of 180mph. Where else are you going to get that kind of performance in the 20K range? I paid 22K for mine with 40,000 miles on it. That was the point I was trying to make in the beginning of this thread. Thats all. Did'nt mean to kick up a hornets nest.
    Last edited by rhipsher; 07-19-2009 at 02:19 PM.

So being a professional driver won't help you if you are in the naturally aspirated Porsche....? Of course it will. I can see that you refuse to concede anything to a low class vette. Its to bad that not everybody can apprieciate a sports car that costs half as much and can just about dish out the same performance. Even if they see it with there own eyes and refuse to give it any kind of thumbs up at all. Lets at least be a little open minded here.
    Lets look at it from another angle. Right now you can pic up a 90-95 ZR-1 in the $20,000 range that will do 0-60 in 4.2 sec. Will do the 1/4 mile in 12.9@111mph bone stock with a top speed of 180mph. Where else are you going to get that kind of performance in the 20K range? I paid 22K for mine with 40,000 miles on it. That was the point I was trying to make in the beginning of this thread. Thats all. Did'nt mean to kick up a hornets nest.
    I am just amazed at how much you are looking to be argued with. It is pretty foolish, honestly.....

For one, what I meant was that if neither was being driven by a professional, what does it matter "if" one or another was driven by a professional? It doesn't, because wondering won't tell you anything. So stop being a biased idiot, because a Vette being driven by a professional will yield such different results, and same if the Porsche's were being driven by a professional. Don't twist what I say because you want a fight.

As another point, I am an American. I know a decent bit about American cars. The first car that made me a fanatic was a Camaro with the LT engine option. I know that they can be cheap, don't be a smarta$$ because you are so "cool". My point had nothing to do with how awesome a Corvette can be. I just found it odd that you mentioned how no one there was a professional driver, yet made a point of how great it would be or whatever if only the Corvette had been driven professionally.

I never disagreed with you that a Corvette is a great car/a good deal. There was no hornet's nest, you just thought there was one.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 07-19-2009 at 05:11 PM.

is that even a race? just looks like a track open day or an open sprints event or something.
    ZR-1 goes pretty hard for it's age

edit: It kinda reminds me of a warmup/cooldown lap and there's always that one guy who didn't see the flag haha
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

At eastern Creek one of the GT3's didn't see the yellow and didn't slow down, overtook about three people before he realised. Dropped back quick smart.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I am just amazed at how much you are looking to be argued with. It is pretty foolish, honestly.....

For one, what I meant was that if neither was being driven by a professional, what does it matter "if" one or another was driven by a professional? It doesn't, because wondering won't tell you anything. So stop being a biased idiot, because a Vette being driven by a professional will yield such different results, and same if the Porsche's were being driven by a professional. Don't twist what I say because you want a fight.

As another point, I am an American. I know a decent bit about American cars. The first car that made me a fanatic was a Camaro with the LT engine option. I know that they can be cheap, don't be a smarta$$ because you are so "cool". My point had nothing to do with how awesome a Corvette can be. I just found it odd that you mentioned how no one there was a professional driver, yet made a point of how great it would be or whatever if only the Corvette had been driven professionally.

I never disagreed with you that a Corvette is a great car/a good deal. There was no hornet's nest, you just thought there was one.
    Are you studying to be a lawyer or what. If so your first mistake was stating that I know weather or not they are pro's or novises. I said I think which means I assume. Not for sure. So who's twisting what who says? Second I never said a corvette was anymore awsome than any other high performance car. Number three I never started calling you names out of respect. Number four it sounds like you've been hitting the bong to hard lately which can bring out the best and worst in people in your case the worst. And last but not least with an attitude like that your probably not getting laid very often if at all.

Are you studying to be a lawyer or what. If so your first mistake was stating that I know weather or not they are pro's or novises. I said I think which means I assume. Not for sure. So who's twisting what who says? Second I never said a corvette was anymore awsome than any other high performance car. Number three I never started calling you names out of respect. Number four it sounds like you've been hitting the bong to hard lately which can bring out the best and worst in people in your case the worst. And last but not least with an attitude like that your probably not getting laid very often if at all.
    I am willing to lay off this if you are; we both had misunderstandings of each other's words, sorry about that. I will also disregard that last bit which I will just say was rather uncalled for, but will leave it at that.

I just get annoyed when I see something like what I thought I saw and I guess I jumped the gun/probably should have paid more attention, sorry, heheh. It is not quite a pet peeve of mine, one of my friends in the area never shuts up about how perfect Vette's are, and it isn't exactly rare to see others do the same. Woops

EDIT: And no, I hate law and most things surrounding it; computer science and philosophy (they teach you to argue things on pretty absolute terms for the most part, heheh).

Ahh! I knew I detected a little antimosity in there somewhere. That's cool! I'm a lover not a fighter. Sometimes things get a little heated. Sorry that your friend has crammed the corvette thing down your throat. Truce.

Thread Information