Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air Vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu

That is just...wow. The BelAir driver dummy died about 14 different ways as best I can see.

Also goes to show how Big cars are getting these days.
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 09-19-2009 at 06:54 AM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Little difference? I think the difference between slightly injured and dead is quite large.
    Based on your perspective, I would naturally agree.

However, how has the safety in modern cars due to "little difference" made in auto design in the last 40 years, altered the way modern day drivers behave behind the steering wheel?

My thoughts on this is that, the greater the safety capability and driving comforts of a car, the more prone the driver is to an accident, due to a false psychological sense of safety and control in an auto cocoon. Just my thought.

Is the driver of a 1959 Chevy Bel Air more prone or less prone to accidents than a driver of a 2008 Chevy Malibu, due to improved safety and driving comfort?
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 09-19-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Based on your perspective, I would naturally agree.

However, how has the safety in modern cars due to "little difference: mad ein auto design in the last 40 years, altered the way modern day drivers behave behind the steering wheel?

My thoughts on this is that, the greater the safety capability and driving comforts of a car, the more prone the driver is to an accident, due to a false psychological sense of safety and control in an auto cocoon. Just my thought.

Is the driver of a 1959 Chevy Bel Air more prone or less prone to accidents than a driver of a 2008 Chevy Malibu, due to improved safety and driving comfort?
    would people buy self driving steering wheel-less cars?
    no.
    even if I could agree on what you said, it's a bit off-topic, at that point we should discuss on a safer mean of transport, not about a safer car.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Testing each car against a similar car would have been a better idea.
    As they were wanting to gaphically demonstrate the imrpvoemnts that the see THEY forced the car industry to undertake over the last 40 years then it's the bet way to "advertise". EXcellent marketing PR
    Does anyone actually think this was intended for anythng OTHER than PR ?
    Of course it's less safe to drive an old car NOW than a new one, but back in 1959 this Bel Air would have never hit a 2009 Malibu, and I'm pretty sure the damages the Bel Air would suffer against another Bel Air would be inferior.
    Too hard to tell.
    The old strong-chassis-rail car beds made for ideal "Lance" to puncture it's way through cars If you were unlucky the damage was collosal if not you might get away with it.
    That said I also think crashing a Malibu against another Malibu would result in more damages than in this case,
    I'm not si sure as the modern car has specifically designed crumple zones and are engineered to be in "similar" locations .. so letting each be more effective than the chance of a chassis-leg intrusion.
    Also, tranverse engine helps a LOT in frontalsand performs key function in the energy distribution. With two cars distributing it the same way then it's possible there woudl be less overal damage than the point of impact concentrated force a chassis leg imparts.
    Shame to see such a good condition car destroyed just so an NGO can promote itself
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

What I meant Matra is that crushing a old car against a new one is pointless (obviously not for marketing that is) for these reasons:

- an old car has less and worst crumple zones, so hitting them with something is obviously going to leave a deeper mark than if we hit with the same thing a newer (and equally dimensioned and so on) car.
    That is visible with plenty of old VS new crashes.

- the Malibu comes out of this crash relatively well thanks to the fact a lot of energy is dissipated by the Bel Air, while in a crash between two similar cars, the dissipation of the energy would be equal, if not drastically less biased.
    It's like (but not the same) trying to say an Hummer is safer than a Smart, just because in a crash between the two the Smart is launched on the other side of the highway.
    More likely a Smart VS Smart crash would see the two drivers walking away, while I wouldn't be so sure about a Hummer VS Hummer crash, as it seems (I repeat, IT SEEMS), the main safety equipment for Hummer-ish vehicles is weight, together with a wrongly positioned crumple area, so that all the energy is transferred to the other vehicle.
    those were/are my 2 cents.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

^ In general agrement, L , for sure.

But, as we've all said already. it isn't possible to imply very much from these at all.

With the Malibu the static crash gives the insight I think you seek.
    As then the "wall" truly is the immovable object with lmited deformation.

The biggest improvemtn in modern is the control of trasnfer of energy to the occupants. Not just by defomrable zones, but the solidity of the passenger cell and then the secondary safety featiures of air bags, anti-burst doors, belts, pre-tensioners, anti-dive seats, sturdy seats and passenger safe inernal surfaces and mouldings with absorbant plastics.

Look at the dummy bounce around, the seats move, etc etc OUCH

WHcih is important Ithink in the ase of things like the Smart and it's safety.
    I've said before the BIG benefit small cars have in accidents is the limited inertia they contain.
    So a Hummer may well hit a Smart and push it 20m along the road ... until such point as meeting a solid wall that won't incur a lot of injury to those inside as padding and airbags provide decelaration of the body parts.
    Just heaven forbid it's a 90 degree hit pinning to a concrete wall as then I doubt a passenger cell woudl help ---- course the same is likely true of the Hummer as it carries that wall around with itself ( loads of inertia, intrusion more likely than moving it )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    F*ck. And to think I've been looking for a '58/'59/'60 Chevy too. No wonder I can't find one, the freakin safety nazis are destroying them!!
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    F*ck. And to think I've been looking for a '58/'59/'60 Chevy too. No wonder I can't find one, the freakin safety nazis are destroying them!!
    What are you looking for specifically?, I know of some that are for sale.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Base model, Del Ray/Biscayne. Manual steering/brakes, 235 and three on the tree. 2-door post or any station wagon...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I know of a 59 el camino, 350, three on the tree, really rough mud wagon. Another 59 el camino, original paint, engine bay is like new, 6 2-barrel intake, interior is all new, new wood bed, slammed in the front, american racing T70's w/ whitewalls, 4 speed. Also a 1960 4 door wagon w/ a mild 454, 4 speed on the floor, old looking paint, one base coated fender, could prolly runs 12's. Then a 60 impala parts car is available.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Why do that to a perfectly good old Chebby?!?

It doesn't take an excercise like this to understand old cars are much less safe than modern ones. They could have just re-distributed the "Mechanized Death" series, the flicks shown to us in Driver's Ed classes... pretty grim stuff. Another was "Red Asphalt". Great titles.
    Of course, I drive a '64 VW Bus most days so it must've really sunk in.

Here's the first episode... viddy well, little brothers, viddy well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-rXEdaGao"]YouTube - 1959 (1 of 4) "Shock" Legendary Driving Safety Film!!![/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Part 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fHQyp9ytA&feature=related"]YouTube - 1959 (2 of 4) "Shock" Legendary Driving Safety Film!!![/ame]

Part 3

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G844qTtTShA&feature=related"]YouTube - 1959 (3 of 4) "Shock" Legendary Driving Safety Film!!![/ame]

Part 4

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hTVDDe8v04&feature=related"]YouTube - 1959 (4 of 4) "Shock" Legendary Driving Safety Film!!![/ame]

And finally, "Wheels of Tragedy" part one... love the narrator, you know he did classroom presentations just from his speech cadence.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqmnNgzlEl8&feature=related"]YouTube - 1963 (1 of 5) Road Tragedies![/ame]

Thread Information