Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My day at El Mirage Dry Lake

its not actually salt, more like silt. if it were salt, my car would be darker than the ground. but yeah, the porker would be great.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I love the pictures!! Pictures taken on desert almost always looks epic!
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Wonderful pics (love that dust patina! ), and congrats on the speed attempt cmc. Isn't El Mirage about 3000' altitude, and wouldn't that affect power from your G35 along with humidity/temp/barometric pressure?

Very cool thing, doing something like that is on my bucket list: Bonneville with something small-bore.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Sounds like fun. I think I'd like to try it but I've pretty much topped out my jeep and it's not much fun at high speed anyways so a new ride would be in order. When I get my Scuderia we can meet there and I'll buy you a beer afterwards.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

does it make a diffrence on with the tires

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Interesting that you say that, because I'm not sure if your truck can hit that speed without a big cloud of black smoke.
    The little tractor tops out at 135mph...

A 420bhp M3 is a whole different kettle of fish though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

This is incredibly awesome.

You can have my +1 internets for the day.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Awsome scenery

Although i'm a bit disaponted at the speed, 230kms/h, isn't all that special, could the terrain be holding the car back?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

super multi-quote
    Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Wonderful pics (love that dust patina! ), and congrats on the speed attempt cmc. Isn't El Mirage about 3000' altitude, and wouldn't that affect power from your G35 along with humidity/temp/barometric pressure?

Very cool thing, doing something like that is on my bucket list: Bonneville with something small-bore.
    i have been debating making a trip to bonneville, but this year's speedweeks coincided with car week in monterey. maybe in the future. as i said, this is one of the other places the speed trials are held, so it gave a really good idea of what it was like.

the temp/pressure did affect it a lot. i could tell it was down on power from usual. i'd like to go there when it is cooler, but you take what you can get in the desert in the summer. it was only 97.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Sounds like fun. I think I'd like to try it but I've pretty much topped out my jeep and it's not much fun at high speed anyways so a new ride would be in order. When I get my Scuderia we can meet there and I'll buy you a beer afterwards.
    i'd be down. but dont put the TC in Race. you'd just stay still with tires spinning.
    Quote Originally Posted by markpaul View Post
    does it make a diffrence on with the tires
    the speed trials guys recommend using skinny tires, and not the wide tires my car has on the rear. the traction did make a difference in how fast i could accelerate, which in turn changes the amount of distance you have left until need to get on the brakes, and that ultimately limits your top speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    This is incredibly awesome.

You can have my +1 internets for the day.
    thank you sir. i will use them judiciously.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Awsome scenery

Although i'm a bit disaponted at the speed, 230kms/h, isn't all that special, could the terrain be holding the car back?
    i know, i was hoping for 150mph at least. in addition to what i have described above, another mile of lake bed, and i could have gone faster, also if it were earlier in the season and the bed was in better condition. it is also an interesting situation going that fast with so little grip you don't do a lot of steering, you just try and keep it straight. the texture of the dirt and the slight wind that was out all pull your car around a lot. it feels very solid at low speeds, but it feels a lot softer when you are really moving.

so if it were the same expanse of pavement, i don't think there would have been as much of an issue to get to that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i know, i was hoping for 150mph at least. in addition to what i have described above, another mile of lake bed, and i could have gone faster, also if it were earlier in the season and the bed was in better condition. it is also an interesting situation going that fast with so little grip you don't do a lot of steering, you just try and keep it straight. the texture of the dirt and the slight wind that was out all pull your car around a lot. it feels very solid at low speeds, but it feels a lot softer when you are really moving.

so if it were the same expanse of pavement, i don't think there would have been as much of an issue to get to that speed.
    Doubt it's nearly as long, but, NAS Alameda?
    The Navy doesn't use it anymore, right? It's also slightly less outta the way.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I see, well, next time on a nice safe tarmak road we will be waiting for the 250kms/h - 155mph mark,
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Doubt it's nearly as long, but, NAS Alameda?
    The Navy doesn't use it anymore, right? It's also slightly less outta the way.
    it'd be fun and i think it wouldn't be much shorter if it actually is at all. i dont think they allow unlimited access though, and that is why El Mirage is so cool. I dont know of anywhere else on earth that does that. maybe the autobahn is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I see, well, next time on a nice safe tarmak road we will be waiting for the 250kms/h - 155mph mark,
    we'll see...

it'd be fun and i think it wouldn't be much shorter if it actually is at all. i dont think they allow unlimited access though, and that is why El Mirage is so cool. I dont know of anywhere else on earth that does that. maybe the autobahn is similar.
    Only with a better surface.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Only with a better surface.
    and free.

so you can just go out and tool around on the silt with no rules or limits basically?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information