Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The best sorts of cars for young drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm also lights on whenever I'm outside urban areas (except in the BMW and Lancia which have daytime running lights). It's not about seeing, but about being seen. Especially if you drive fast.
    having dirty great big stripes down the middle of the car and steam coming off your front brakes also works...
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Careful- That sounds dangerously close to sex-spec drivers rationale... (be seen)

I learnt to drive in my mums liberty wagon, safest and most reliable damned thing in the world. Moved up into my old silvia after 6 months with my licence. Spun the silvia once, and that was while I was drifting in the wet - On a rural backroad.
    and the pothole incident. you crazy
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    having dirty great big stripes down the middle of the car and steam coming off your front brakes also works...

and the pothole incident. you crazy
    Oh yeah, the pothole incident. Still glad I knew what the **** to do to keep it from going nose first into the other car!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Ford Tempo. That is all.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    In the interests of full disclosure, my first accident was in a 130hp Ford Focus. It wasn't the HP that got me in trouble, it was me thinking I could cut the corner on a two-way, two lane road with no markings at 25mph. A green Acura Integra was coming the opposite way and BOOM! In correcting to get out of the Integra's way, I ended up in the opposite side's barbed wire fence. I was 16 and 8 years later can say it was state of mind, not the car, that got me f*cked.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Sometimes experience teaches you things. And the hard way too sometimes. I just wish that people looked at their drivers liscence's as a priviledge. It really is a priviledge to drive. It gives people a sense of independence. And there's a reason why there are rules in the driving world. So many lives are lost to reckless behaviour like drinking while driving, or even talking on your cell phone. Think about it. It can get a little dicey out there.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Careful- That sounds dangerously close to sex-spec drivers rationale... (be seen)
    What I meant is that if I'm doing 160km/h (or more) on the outside lane of the motorway someone in the middle lane doing 130km/h or so will see me better in the mirrors if I have my lights on rather than if I don't and therefore one pull into the outside lane and won't cause a big accident.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

THere are good chances the moron blocking the way on whichever lane won't see you even if you are IT dressed by a horror clown driving a Beetle made of Kryptonite.

The worst risk is taking chances on what other people/driver are thinking.

Even if morons end up being quite predictable.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    THere are good chances the moron blocking the way on whichever lane won't see you even if you are IT dressed by a horror clown driving a Beetle made of Kryptonite.

The worst risk is taking chances on what other people/driver are thinking.

Even if morons end up being quite predictable.
    If they jiggle about in their lane, they are about to switch lanes.

Regardless of where you actually are.
    Visca Catalunya!

We've all gone a bit off topic here. Lets get back to more car suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by group c n b man View Post
    Low-powered supermini with narrow tires and power or electric nothing.
    Visca Catalunya!

it isn't offtopic, it's the argument "the right car doesn't exist, to each his own, if you're a good and responsible guy even an F40 could do the job, if you're stupid and reckless be afraid of your bicycle".
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    it isn't offtopic, it's the argument "the right car doesn't exist, to each his own, if you're a good and responsible guy even an F40 could do the job, if you're stupid and reckless be afraid of your bicycle".
    That makes a lot of sense. Far too much for modern teenagers.
    Visca Catalunya!

That makes a lot of sense. Far too much for modern teenagers.
    I understand that perfectly. I'm not the stereotype boyracer, dangerous, ill-informed and ignorant. I'm one of the very few of my generation who have always had a genuine, geeky and sound interest for all things automotive. The problem is... everyone thinks all young drivers are the same. Perhaps my thread title was misleading, I was just having a rant about the fact that real enthusiasts can't get easy access to good cars due to the iresponsibility of the masses.

I understand that perfectly. I'm not the stereotype boyracer, dangerous, ill-informed and ignorant. I'm one of the very few of my generation who have always had a genuine, geeky and sound interest for all things automotive. The problem is... everyone thinks all young drivers are the same. Perhaps my thread title was misleading, I was just having a rant about the fact that real enthusiasts can't get easy access to good cars due to the iresponsibility of the masses.
    Well that is true. But while some us drive responsibly there are many other young guys who think they are the next Schumacher and that they can drive better than anyone else.

On the other hand I can understand why parents wouldn't be very keen to put their teenage children in high performance cars.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well that is true. But while some us drive responsibly there are many other young guys who think they are the next Schumacher and that they can drive better than anyone else.

On the other hand I can understand why parents wouldn't be very keen to put their teenage children in high performance cars.
    In countries that have high licensing requirements and comprehensive training, are 16-25 year olds hooning about as badly as in countries without such training and requirements? My guess is maybe... but insurance companies use tables for a reason. And that's enough for most parents to choose safe and humble first cars for their children. Economical, too.

My first car ('65 GT350) was a potential death machine. Only race karting experience prevented me from getting killed a couple of times, but certainly didn't prevent some of my stupid behaviour. And I was considered a careful and responsible teenager.
    It's funny: I also soloed at 16 and got my pilot's license at 17... but I never did ANYTHING stupid in an airplane.

Even with extensive training, driving a car should be considered a revocable privilege, and safe low-powered autos a good first choice.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information