Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Street Legal or Not

A big part of the "street legal or not" in the US at least is emissions related. Off road vehicles dont have to pass emissions, on road vehicles do (in most states)

and there is definitely a big difference state to state. I grew up in southern california. You have to pass smog every year there, no tinted front windows, no loud exhaust, lots of ride height restrictions and all of these are heavily enforced. I now live in Nebraska where you can pretty much do whatever you want, you dont ever have to pass smog, my front windows are limo tinted, I have an aftermarket "not street legal" exhaust.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

How long can you drive ( if at all ) in one state with a car on out-of-state plates and emissions etc standards
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    How long can you drive ( if at all ) in one state with a car on out-of-state plates and emissions etc standards
    In California, at least, DMV says 20 days; anything more and you're cheating California out of millions of dollars that could go towards fattening bureaucrat paychecks.

It's really a pain in the ass to go through with, as I think Matt asked this question a while back.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

When I was living in CA for school I actually got pulled over for driving with Minnesota tags. They weren't expired but the cop did ask if the car was going to remain in state. It wasn't as the owner was leaving in a month or so.

Still, I think technically as a student I was required to change my tags over to CA tags. Not that I could have. My car was owned by my father. His state says you can not have out of state tags for a state you don't live in. So legally CA says it must have CA tags but the home state says it can't have out of state tags since Dad doesn't live or own property out of state.
    Basically both states are saying they should be the ones to get the cash!

there are some notable exceptions, such as mine. being in the military, you can keep your tags, license, and residency in any state regardless of where you live. all of my stuff is florida, despite owning a house in california. and i think as of january, it will now be legal for your spouse to do the same (even though mine has kept her FL stuff anyway).
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thank you all for your comments. This is enlightening. For long, I kept wondering what made certain cars legal and others, not, given that they all seem to generally the same basic materials----rubber, glass, and metals.

Thread Information