Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mustang GT power leaked

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    For daily driving, the torque distribution maybe okay. For spirited and race related driving, most of that torque should go to the top end at about 5,000 rpm or more. This means, at some point, after market air intakes will help to shift the torque curve to higher rpm ranges.
    To echo Damiano's post.

My old car had peak torque at 4,000rpm and it redlined at 6,750rpm. And the engine was still lovable and the car a riot to drive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

My good friend, a vortex is air flowing under turbulent conditions which means the air is deliberately being fooled to change directions on its path, and thus gain tremendous acceleration at its outer layers, while its inner core remains relatively slow, as it finds its way into combustion chamber. Think about Tornados--thats how they work. By direction, if you mean the twists in the air intake baffles and piping, then i agree with you. But if you mean, twisting the air itself, then i disagree with you. So, there are two types of directional changes both of us may be implying here.
    Turbulence implies the air changing direction in an "uncontrolled" way, generally, even if there are designed turbulences used to fulfill many aspects of an engine, as with what's happens in each cylinder. The variations in direction helps the fuel and the air to mix together. In order to change direction, everything, air included, must be subject to an acceleration, but it isn't linear.
    When running a circle at constant speed, you're subject to an acceleration towards the center of the circle, but your speed isn't changing.
    Having a vortex of almost any sort of turbulence in the intake is just pointless as, in order to get the energy to change the direction of the air, you have to diminish the linear speed of the air on its main path.
    You have a given energy available, and every variation will reduce it. I can't see the point of having a turbulence in the intake, what you may want is to adjust the air direction when approaching the cylinder, or to face a certain section, bent or obstacle with a certain angle, but that's not turbulence, and will surely diminish the speed of the air nonetheless (hopefully providing a benefit rather than if facing the part of the intake without modifying the air's direction).
    It may be helpful to have a controlled turbulence in a indirect injection engine after fuel is injected in the intake, but once again, as gasoline has a low viscosity, it isn't required, and it's better to have instead an higher speed of the air entering the cylinder, so to have more air available for the next cycle.
    Once the air is in the cylinder, given it has a lot of kinetic energy which isn't required anymore, the idea is to convert it to generate mainly three different turbulent flows, so to mix air and fuel and even more importantly to generate the desired disposition of the mixture related to the spark.

Just like in a tornado, the air is going extremely fast, but on a circular path, which isn't helpful in an intake manifold. You'd prefer the air to stay as linear, in direction, as possible, instead of converting a part of its air to generate a turbulence which isn't required in first place.
    Once in the cylinder, it's relatively the other way round.

That said, adding whatever sort of obstacle, being a reduction in cross section or a bent in the intake, always reduce the speed of the fluid. Air, in this case. So having the straightest air intake is really helpful.

Secondly, the heat transfer and thermodynamic properties of air going into the combustion chamber is as important as the fluid dynamic characteristics of the air itself. The article focuses on the fluid dynamics of the air charge and neglects the heat transfer and thermodynamic properties of that air charge. Most of all, whther you agree or not, the temperature of an air charge has a significant effect on the amount of power a performance car produces, whether NA or turboed/supercharged, especially after a few moments of hard driving. Ever heard of ethanol/water injection or ever heard of intercoolers in turbos/superchargers?????? Why do you think they are sometimes used---for fun or to cool the air charge??????????????
    Just because they stress how important the design of the intake was during the project it doesn't mean they don't know the basic laws of thermodynamics. As I suggested, having a straight and fast path for the air in the intake helps diminishing some aspects of having a too hot or humid air. The, even if they both concur to the final performance, having cool air or humid air isn't something related to the design of the intake. Having a twisted intake wouldn't help in a very humid climate, as I suggested before it would actually be first.
    This has actually nothing to do with the combustion, as we are talking about the intake, right now the engine could even not exist, and the intake would still be a good one, even without the combustion. Of course having cool and dry air is a good thing, and of course adopting some measures to keep the temperature and the humidity low if possible is a good idea too, but it doesn't mean having a straight intake is a bad thing, at all.

It actually sounds like you're nitpicking only to praise once again the Infiniti G, as if it was the best car ever. Not saying it isn't good, but it makes me wonder if you actually know something about other cars too.

Rasmus's car is turboed, IIRC. So, I can't speak for the reliability of a turboed GT engine. My coments are geared towards an NA GT engine which i see all the time.
    Given you often call into the discussion after market parts, that goes to show you the GT engine didn't like them much, even when done properly by someone who knows what he is doing, mostly. It doesn't imply it isn't a reliable engine, but I'd definitely expect something more from a 4.6 engine pulling "just" 300 bhp when stock and installed on a car which is almost "designed" to be tuned, as it seems a lot of customers and enthusiast do and which should something the OEM designers should take into calculation in order to avoid a bad reputation, even when it isn't entirely their fault.
    Surely drag racing isn't a healthy activity though.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The FORD 4.6 litre V-8 NA, is a tried and true engine. If I were FORD, i would have stuck with the most of the 4.6 litre engine design while expanding the engine to 5.0 litres. I am a FORD GT fan because i have seen it perform flawlessly. And as for Infiniti or Nissan, their VQ engine is tried and true. All they did was increase its volume with each passing year until they could not increase it any further. So, i am not biased about other cars. I just have things i look for when i see other cars. And when they are missing, i tend to point them out.

As for the intake system and how they collect and behave with air in them, I will go no further in belaboring the earlier points I have made, which i stand on.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 12-28-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Am I the only one thinking the V6 looks better?
    No, it's just that the bright red looks horrible on this car. Yet Ford keeps using it to advertise the damn thing. This generation of Mustang looks so much better in darker colors.

EDIT: And for the record my supercharged 05 GT makes 160 hp over stock without any aftermarket internal engine modifications. I've beaten the crap out of this car both at the track and on the street....and it has yet to yield a single failure. If you're going to install a forced induction setup on ANY car without doing your homework, you can't be surprised when it proves short-lived.

I can't speak for how well the 2011 GT will hold up to FI modifications, but it sounds like it's going to be a very nicely balanced car in stockish form.
    Last edited by ThisBlood147; 12-28-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

The FORD 4.6 litre V-8 NA, is a tried and true engine. If I were FORD, i would have stuck with the most of the 4.6 litre engine design while expanding the engine to 5.0 litres. I am a FORD GT fan because i have seen it perform flawlessly. And as for Infiniti or Nissan, their VQ engine is tried and true. All they did was increase its volume with each passing year until they could not increase it any further. So, i am not biased about other cars. I just have things i look for when i see other cars. And when they are missing, i tend to point them out.
    The 4.6 makes relatively low specific power and is also somewhat outdated. So starting off with an all new aluminum block DOHC and all other manner of newfangled technology lets them create a much more competent engine. You cannot just use the same engine forever nor is the new 5.0 somehow wrong, no matter how verbose you get.

Also "Ford" is a name, not an acronym.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The 4.6 makes relatively low specific power and is also somewhat outdated. So starting off with an all new aluminum block DOHC and all other manner of newfangled technology lets them create a much more competent engine. You cannot just use the same engine forever nor is the new 5.0 somehow wrong, no matter how verbose you get.

Also "Ford" is a name, not an acronym.
    The fancier words you use, the better your argument. I'm in Liberal Arts, so I know how it works.

I was also wondering about FORD - maybe Found on Road Dead? Who knows.

G35, did you ever go to school for any kind of engineering or anything?

What is your profession?

Fix Or Repair Daily, Found on Rubbish Dump.. ad infinium.

G35 is a road racer. The last of his kind, striking out against the man.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

The 5L and 4.6L share deck height and bore spacing. It apparently allows alot of carryover tooling in the production process, and also shortens development time significantly.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    fix or repair daily, found on rubbish dump.. Ad infinium.

lol! :d

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The fancier words you use, the better your argument. I'm in Liberal Arts, so I know how it works.

I was also wondering about FORD - maybe Found on Road Dead? Who knows.

G35, did you ever go to school for any kind of engineering or anything?

What is your profession?
    Nope, i have not gone to school for engineering. After upgrading my two cars very carefully and helping a friend upgrade their own cars, and doing some research, and after working at some point in time at a parts store where i see different parts and engine designs daily, somethings just jump out at you. GM to me, is the worst culprit of stupid and incongrous designs. Of course, with lousy car owner's, an already bad car, becomes worse---I have seen many people using normal radiator fluid (green type) in GM cars/trucks when they should be using the orange Dexcool radiator fluid. I found that most Ford cars are far more reliable than their SUVs and trucks. Beleive me, GM cars cannot touch Ford cars in terms of reliability---why older Chevy Malibu engine constantly has head gasket and cooling problems before it reaches 100,000 miles, is still a mystery to me---many Chevy Malibu engines have quit--pay attention to your temperature guage if you have a Chevy Malibu.

How Ford got its bad name, is still a surprise to me. I suspect one or two years of badly produced cars caused them their reputation. I beleive Toyota now has the same problem as well. Honda is the only Japanese company that I know which uses the thinnest fluids in their engine and transmissions---these days they use 5W-20 in their engines and 5W-30 in their manual transmissions. For this, Honda is the only Japanese car i see all the time with lots of oil leaks around their valve cover gaskets, pcv valves, and all over their engine etc. But they run very well, anyways. Never use a 10W-40 in any Honda engine--it may work for a while but that car won't run right at some point---at most, stick with or upgrade to a 5w-30. As for VW cars, cooling problem issues is the one thing I have seen consistently that plagues their cars.

If you use a Ford truck/car stick with Motorcraft spark plugs. If you use GM car/truck, stick with AC Delco spark plugs. If you use Nissan or Toyota and Honda, stick with NGK spark plugs. This is partuclarly so for Nissans which may give you a headache if you use or swithc to any other brand. If your car calls for copper electrodes, stick with them. If your car calls for platinum electrodes, stick with them. If your car calls for Iridium electrodes, stick with them. Iridium spark plugs are the most expensive (between $6 - $8 a piece) ---don't skimp on them or else, you will see the result of your cheap ways when you go and fail your annual emissions tests. If you pass emissions test with the wrong spark plugs, then you are lucky.

Seafoam, the fuel treatment cleaner, is the best thing you can pour into your gas tank, twice a year. The car literally comes alive---more power while the car wants to always be on the go.

You may not beleive this, my 1.6 litre B13 with a small air intake, is by far more efficient in using intake air than a G-35 does. Surprisingly, i also found that engine redline, is not just a function of engine reliability as much as it is a function of how the engine will efficiently use the air going into the combustion chamber throughout the rpm range. You can make a car rev past the redline easily without doing damage to it, only if you can make the car use the air efficiently. I also found that anything, both fancy or practical, that obstructs the free flow of air in front of the car's radiator, is a slow engine and parts killer. Most of what the manufacturers set in most production cars are based on normal useage--many of it can be changed if care is taken in doing so. Even the ECU can be fooled to think that the car is passing emissions when in fact it is not--there are ways to do this. I have learnt so many more about cars and their quirks. Most of all, I have learnt that it is the small stuff in cars that kills the big stuff. In addition, while you drive, pay attention to every signal or output the car is giving out beyond what the ECU is saying---it can help save your engine.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 12-29-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Fix Or Repair Daily, Found on Rubbish Dump.. ad infinium.

wasn't that Mad Max?!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The new pony at gallop:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlR8hbpkHkw[/ame]
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

the more a member here posts , the less it seems he knows

prehaps he has a mechanic as a neighbor , or ex-mechanic as a workmate . would explain his simple minded annecdotes that are part baloney when talking performance

i agree. the haters of the world are numerous and plentiful.

Thanks for posting the video. Whats up with the side view mirrors, and the little notch in the upper corner?
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Thread Information