Thread: AC history

AC history

This came up as a hint for the badges quiz and thought it might interest UCPers .....

The AC Cobra caused a sensation by racing along the M1 motorway at 183 mph, leading to questions being raised in Parliament. Two AC Cobras were entered in the Le Mans 24 Hour Race, the AC entry was the first British car to finish. By now, the 427 AC Cobra had the distinction of being listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the fastest production car in the world, a title which it held for several years.

183mph on public motorway in 1964

That would get you a life-ban now
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Man a legit 427 Cobra would run you a lot of money these days. Ultimate car.

One of my all-time favourite cars.
    UCP biggest Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic & Mercedes CLK-GTR SuperSport fan

I have been trying to track down some info on that Cobra Coupe for ages, but I never come up with anything.
    Do you have any more info/ pics? They would be greatly appreciated!

I had the pleasure of seeing the beast in person a few years back, and thought as it had a bit of history to it, it would be easy to find again, but no.
    Thanks for all the fish

For some reason AC have taken their web site down for "upgrade" so can't help too much. It's worth keeping an eye out for because it was excellent - http://www.accars.co.uk/ .

I got those images from http://www.autoclassic.com/features/.../ac/index.html which seems to have copied over most of the AC site
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Are these the guys who tune the BMWs? I also saw a couple of Shelby Cobras on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    Man a legit 427 Cobra would run you a lot of money these days. Ultimate car.
    I'd love to just be able to drive one of those babies Goes like mad and looks cool doing it.

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

what year was the lemans?

1964 I think.
    Thanks for all the fish

1964 AC Coupe

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/...48d40dd2_b.jpg

Coventrysucks, I have got some original photo`s of the AC Coupe,that you have as an aviator on here.

The car was tested on the M1 by Peter Bolton and Ninian Sanderson in the early hours of the morning along the M1 motorway.Parliment had already thought of introducing the the speed limit.

The car was wrecked at Le Mans after being shunted by a Ferrari 250 LM. A rear tyre burst,causing the car to somersault into the air and killing three spectators.

This car raced at Le Mans in 1964.

The car was aquired by Barrie Bird from AC .he had the wreck rebuilt.
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 12-22-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneharold View Post
    Coventrysucks, I have got some original photo`s of the AC Coupe,that you have as an aviator on here.

The car was tested on the M1 by Peter Bolton and Ninian Sanderson in the early hours of the morning along the M1 motorway.Parliment had already thought of introducing the the speed limit.

The car was wrecked at Le Mans after being shunted by a Ferrari 250 LM. A rear tyre burst,causing the car to somersault into the air and killing three spectators.

This car raced at Le Mans in 1964.

The car was aquired by Barrie Bird from AC .he had the wreck rebuilt.
    Welcome, this is a rather old thread and Coventry is no longer around. I though would not mind to see those shots.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Welcome, this is a rather old thread and Coventry is no longer around. I though would not mind to see those shots.

Sorry , I have only just found this thread, I will dig out the old photo`s sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneharold View Post
    Sorry , I have only just found this thread, I will dig out the old photo`s sometime.
    no problem at all.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Here's some shots from LM '64.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Here's some shots from LM '64.

Nice vintage photo`s

Thread Information