Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Crash

They tend to be busy with tourists getting lost in the wilderness most of the time.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Isn't there any form of law enforcement down-under?
    There is, but they are just not enough police cars on the road, though around Golburn (an inland town were a police acadamy is) has put police ares that are at the end of their service on the side of the road with a yellow safety jacket and police hat on the seat.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Isn't there any form of law enforcement down-under?
    since a lot of law enforcement is about providing unpleasant consequences as a deterrent, how do you preventatively enforce the law against someone who does not consider consequences?
    + teenager "it'll never happen to me" syndrome..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Really if someone is going to be that retarded, there's not a whole lot you can do to protect them from themselves, and I don't think that it should be the polices job to do so. They try to enforce the laws, but I don't know what they could have don in this situation without having an officer every 7 feet to watch out for something like this.

It is unfortunate that he died and more so thathe took other people with him, but I don't think this is something that you could legislate out of existence. Even if you completely took cars away from people, someone like this will find another way to do something stupid.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    i agree its not the car who kills but the person behind the wheel. honestly 88mph is not even that fast. the car looks to be a BMW, BMW's are incredibly stable. The driver needs to judge if his vehicle can handle that speed. a teen can get very overzealous and their ego acts accordingly creating these macho situations. don't drink and drive
    88mph is fast for a young reckless driver at 2am who's trying to show off and has probably been drinking. And the car was a Ford Falcon XR6, which is nothing special in the handling department. People who will drive like that and endanger the rest of us need to have their license torn up and their cars crushed in front of them. Regardless of whether the speed is 'not that fast' or how stable the car is, there's a posted speed limit for a reason.. sure it might be lower than it really needs to be, but it's there and should be followed. It's not about whether the driver or the car can handle 140kph.. it's the fact that that's far too fast for the road and the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    88mph is fast for a young reckless driver at 2am who's trying to show off and has probably been drinking. And the car was a Ford Falcon XR6, which is nothing special in the handling department. People who will drive like that and endanger the rest of us need to have their license torn up and their cars crushed in front of them. Regardless of whether the speed is 'not that fast' or how stable the car is, there's a posted speed limit for a reason.. sure it might be lower than it really needs to be, but it's there and should be followed. It's not about whether the driver or the car can handle 140kph.. it's the fact that that's far too fast for the road and the situation.
    This. And that's why I hate street racers.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Just to clarify.. by too fast for the road I mean 140kph is far too fast for a city road that has a posted limit of 80kph. Doesn't matter if it's dead straight, if it's 80 it means that there's side streets with cars approaching or pedestrians or.. etc.

This should put to bed the old saying, hoons drive older falcon/commodores. Not a cheap ride the BF MKII XR6, well not for a young p plater cheap.

Was watching the news and seen some replys from this. One or many have said take their cars off them. How will this work?, crush their cars - big deal buy another one. You got to change the mind set of these people not destroy their cars. Some of these drivers have $10,000-$30,000 cars, yet they only thing hoons drive are old beat up shit heaps?, wrong..

Not only do young drivers need a new attitude mind set, the people who set the laws need one in a big way.

You could stick speed cameras on every corner and this wont stop the issue that's between the ears. Work on that more then working on how many speed and red light cameras we can set-up by monday morning.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

On a related note (idiotic youth in cars) but this time with a happier ending

Wrong bird: driver mistakenly 'salutes' top cop

honestly 88mph is not even that fast.
    Depends where you are driving. 88mph on the interstate; not a big deal. 88mph in commercial or residential; big problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    On a related note (idiotic youth in cars) but this time with a happier ending

Wrong bird: driver mistakenly 'salutes' top cop
    this one too haha
    Car Smashes Hole In Wall In George St, Parramatta | Picture, Photo
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

i agree its not the car who kills but the person behind the wheel. honestly 88mph is not even that fast. the car looks to be a BMW, BMW's are incredibly stable. The driver needs to judge if his vehicle can handle that speed. a teen can get very overzealous and their ego acts accordingly creating these macho situations. don't drink and drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch's article
    The woman, aged in her 60s, has told police she was leaving the level-one car park of an office block on George Street, Parramatta, when she lost control of her white Toyota Corolla and hit the building's brick wall about 11am.
    If you can lose control of a Corolla at parking-lot speeds, you can lose control of a big Falcon at 88. Admittedly she is old, but teens and the elderly probably have similar driving aptitude, if for very different reasons.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    If you can lose control of a Corolla at parking-lot speeds..
    ... you shouldn't have a license
    +1 for everyone being retested when they hit 60
    hell, retested every ten years even

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ... you shouldn't have a license
    at age 18, guess who had a car crash inside the govt roadworthy test-station building? causing $13k+ damage in 'old money' figures

and wasn't even in the car at the time!
    +1 for everyone being retested when they hit 60
    hell, retested every ten years even
    60 is the new 40 or hadn't you heard?

Seriously, I think there's a delicate line to tread between a blanket mantra of unreasonable imposition on elderly drivers who otherwise need to continue driving, or in allowing them to still conduct their affairs, like pottering down to the shops and to the doctor etc.

Its a while ago now but I do remember reading a statistic on the elderly which said that those who 'had a fall' and broke their hip (very common occurance to old people) in Oz would on average die within the next two years. Similarly another set of numbers related that aged persons whom either surrendered or had their license removed from them typically survived only another three years. These figures were before the comparitively recent onslaught of those 4-wheeled scooters, but it does highlight how crucial to the elderly among us, is the concept of independance of life, and with it independant mobility.

I know others will not agree with me on this. But personally I have no problem with them tootling down to the local supermarket or chemist at 30 km/h in their small late-model automatics, even if they might wobble along and be only marginally competent in generous view, or perhaps to venture out visiting their friend or rellos in neighbouring suburbia. For sure, the increase in life expectancy has brought with it an increase in things like dementia, and of drivers doped out on prescription drugs. But I'd think it unfair to impose in-general the stress of annual testing upon the elderly, or even to force them to be tested every few years, and especially to make them have to undergo a full test to the nowdays very strict standards held for novice 'first time' drivers.

There are plently of frail & elderly who desperately want to stay in their own homes, either in or just out of rural towns, where there is zero public transport. I think they deserve resonable leeway. It would be a social tragedy to effectively force these people out of their homes and into a (dreaded) nursing facility, because they are no longer capable of cutting 'hot laps' like the rest of us can .. (for now )
    Last edited by nota; 01-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.

yeah, the guy i bought the 911 off was 72 at the time. it's not so much the elderly as actual middle aged drivers i meant; soccer mum's and the type.

Thread Information