Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    It makes sense to put it on CDMA - as you say, proprietary networks requiring customers to lock into a deal with nowhere else for them to take the device.

Kind of fits into Apples idea of locking the device & it's content down, don't you think?
    Not really because they'd lock out the rest of the world. Something they'd never do. I'll eat my shoe if they announce a CDMA-only device.

Anyway 35min to go! w00t

Official name is iPad.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

so it's a big ipod touch.. that has very little use as a real computer, and is too big to fit in your pocket, and can't make phone calls. do not want.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I have a netbook for those times I want to be portable with my computer.

an iPhone for those times I want a touchscreen experience.

And a novel for those times I want to read.

And a $1200 device that doesn't do any of that as well as what it's supposed to replace just bluntly won't do.

I dare say this is an innovation too far, but We'll see how it goes.
    For light browsing i love the IPod Touch. I sometimes really don't want to boot up a computer, so I bring up the touch. I have a netbook at home too, but I really don't like it for light browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    $1200? Is there actually a price yet?

I priced up myself an iphone recently.. for the 16GB 3GS, it would have been an additional $1100 over two years over my current phone bill. That's pretty much all down to the fact that I have the cheapest plan available because I mostly use my work phone, but still. Ouch. At some point I'm sure I could justify it/the maths would be different but at the moment I'll stick to being a luddite.
    Maybe look at an IPod Touch? It's a one time purchase, and other than not having a camera, microphone and wireless internet, it pretty much does everything the IPhone does.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    so it's a big ipod touch.. that has very little use as a real computer, and is too big to fit in your pocket, and can't make phone calls. do not want.
    Neither do I. Feels like it'll flop like the MacBook Air.

Exclusively through AT&T....and all the potential customers let out a sigh of disgust.

Wow. Thought I'd never say it but... epic fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Exclusively through AT&T....and all the potential customers let out a sigh of disgust.
    Isn't Apple's IPhone contract with AT&T about to be over soon? Does this mean that they've made a contract specifically with the IPad or are they together?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Isn't Apple's IPhone contract with AT&T about to be over soon? Does this mean that they've made a contract specifically with the IPad or are they together?
    Don't know.

Another interesting point is the iPad is an Apple chip, not Intel or Qualcomm.

Meh. Wait two or three months/years and this thing will be worth it (new hardware updates and whatnot).

A general rule for any Apple product: Wait a couple generations. Then buy.

Don't know.

Another interesting point is the iPad is an Apple chip, not Intel or Qualcomm.
    You do NOT need a contract with AT&T, you can use it on any GSM network. ALL iPads are unlocked and sold by Apple, not AT&T.

There will be 2 data plans: a 250mb plan at $15 and an unlimited plan at $30. NO contract. So you cancel the plan at any moment in time. You're never married to AT&T for 2 years.

That said, you can get an iPad with just wifi or one with wifi+3G.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 01-27-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Maybe look at an IPod Touch? It's a one time purchase, and other than not having a camera, microphone and wireless internet, it pretty much does everything the IPhone does.
    Yea, but I already have an ipod (60GB 5G) so it's hard to justify even that expense. A$400 (rrp) for the 32GB is still rather a lot.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    You do NOT need a contract with AT&T, you can use it on any GSM network. ALL iPads are unlocked and sold by Apple, not AT&T.

There will be 2 data plans: a 250mb plan at $15 and an unlimited plan at $30. NO contract. So you cancel the plan at any moment in time. You're never married to AT&T for 2 years.

That said, you can get an iPad with just wifi or one with wifi+3G.
    You ARE married to AT&T's network.

"The ugly. In a move that could prove frustrating for many users, Apple decided to offer exclusive network rights to AT&T instead of a combination of providers. iPhone users in large urban areas, most notably New York, have complained about AT&T's network coverage and customer service for months. They have also complained about AT&T's 3G coverage for iPhone plans, and it remains to be seen how AT&T's network will respond to another influx of users with the release of the iPad."

Apple's iPad: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - US News and World Report

You ARE married to AT&T's network.

"The ugly. In a move that could prove frustrating for many users, Apple decided to offer exclusive network rights to AT&T instead of a combination of providers. iPhone users in large urban areas, most notably New York, have complained about AT&T's network coverage and customer service for months. They have also complained about AT&T's 3G coverage for iPhone plans, and it remains to be seen how AT&T's network will respond to another influx of users with the release of the iPad."

Apple's iPad: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - US News and World Report
    T-mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    T-mobile?
    Even if it will it isn't the best scenario.

"Unlocked" iPad Won't Work on T-Mobile 3G - Gearlog

Thread Information