Thread: A look ahead to this weekend's Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este ...

A look ahead to this weekend's Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este ...

This weekend the spectacular Villa d'Este hotel in the Northern tip of Italy will again host Europe's most prestigious concours d'elegance. With the entry strictly limited to 50 cars, it is an honour to even be invited for the 'Concorso d'Eleganza'. We will be on the shore of the beautiful Como lake for the full duration of the event and have today prepared a warm-up.
    One of the most rarely seen cars entered for this year's edition is the Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Sport. In long term ownership this Pininfarina styled and built show-car has only made very few appearances in the past decades. It was originally launched at the 1965 Turin Motor Show. The unique machine shares its very low underpinnings with the Alfa Romeo TZ2 racing. The Giulia Sport is one of just two TZs not bodied by Zagato and the only to have survived in original condition. We last saw the car back in 2003 and are very much looking forward to get another look.
    Another unique entry for this year's Villa d'Este is this Bugatti Type 57. It was collected from the factory in bare chassis form by the first owner and driven to England 'naked'. Here it was clothed by Bertelli and raced in the Tourist Trophy. Like the Alfa Romeo, this Type 57 TT Bertelli Tourer has been preserved remarkably well. In 2009, Bugatti's centenary year, it was shown at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and at Pebble Beach.
    In 2009 we were pleasantly surprised by a very rare Japanese entry; the Prince Skyline Sport. As the name suggests, it is the grandfather of one of the country's most legendary models. It was the result of an elaborate scheme to add more style to the Prince line-up. Chassis would be shipped to Italy where they were fitted with bodies styled by Giovanni Michelotti. Not surprisingly this did not work well and most examples produced were used by Prince executives and subsequently destroyed. The Skyline Sport we saw last year is one of the very few survivors.

Enjoy the links:

1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Sport Pininfarina Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

1935 Bugatti Type 57 TT Bertelli Tourer - Images, Specifications and Information

1962 - 1964 Prince Skyline Sport Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I wonder how the flight issues will effect the show. Several people from my shop and a customer were going to go but couldn't due to the flight cancelations.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Now I really feel like Sh*t. Stupid volcano.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Now I really feel like Sh*t. Stupid volcano.
    Don't worry Nic, it is raining out here....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information