Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche GT2 RS

Porsche GT2 RS

This article came from Australia's carpoint.com.au website.

455kw (610hp) Porsche GT2 RS faster than Carrera GT

The amped-up, rear-drive GT2 has until now been the undisputed top dog among Porsche 911s. However, this image -- snapped at a recent dealer event (and since aired on a couple of websites) -- shows the Zuffenhausen marque has outdone itself with the soon-to-be-unleashed GT2 RS.

All the info we have for now is hearsay, but word has it the GT2 RS has the mumbo to outsprint even the V10-powered Carrera GT, and there are rumblings of a 7min 22sec Nurburgring lap time -- on par with the Dodge Viper ACR -- and four seconds quicker than the best mark set by the Nissan GT-R and Chevy Corvette ZR1.

Due on sale internationally in September, some sources are tipping a European price of 240,000 euro, and this spend is expected to bring fully adjustable suspension, a roll cage and active aerodynamics. To put the price in perspective, the recently released 911 Turbo S starts at 145,000 euro (173k euro including VAT).

According to Autoblog, the GT2 RS will be revealed to the international motoring press on May 14, in which case official info will soon be at hand.

Meanwhile, we're happy to pass on the speculative figures being touted for now, which include a reported power output of 455kW. If accurate, this should enable the GT2 RS to comfortably outpace the already eye-wateringly quick 911 Turbo, which has proven its ability to scorch to 100km/h in 3.2sec (even though the factory's claim is more conservative).

Befitting its hallowed two-letter suffix, the GT2 RS is said to be around 90kg lighter than the stocker, so we can only drool in anticipation of its performance potential.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Active aero huh? Interesting.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

But... I took a photo of a porsche GT2 Badged as an RS at eastern creek last year.

Wut.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Hmm, well as everyone who has ever been to carpoint.com.au knows it's not the most reliable place for automotive news however I still thought the story was interesting. But if it is true, this is really the car I have been waiting for. In my mind the GT2 was always the pinnacle and when people went on about the GT3 and GT3 RS I knew they were extraordinary vehicles because of weight loss and setup but I could never figure out why Porsche wouldn't pay the same attention to the GT2. All I can say is that if they make it, my new dream Porsche will now be the GT2 RS.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    But... I took a photo of a porsche GT2 Badged as an RS at eastern creek last year.

Wut.
    there's one badged as a GT2RS that gets around QLD too, it's full race car though.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Moar info from Autoblog:

We don't have much in the way of details, but a singular shot snapped at a dealer event yesterday shows that the baddest Porsche 911 ever to grace the tarmac is coming this September.

According to a tipster, the GT2 RS will carry a price tag of 240,000 euro when it arrives later this year and will supposedly pack enough power to topple the Carrera GT. Earlier reports indicate that the revised GT2, recently caught testing at the Nürburgring, will put out over 560 horsepower and 530 pound-feet of torque. However, it's safe to assume those figures will be increased In RS trim and we can expect a fully-adjustable suspension, roll cage and possibly some active aerodynamics. The press introduction is apparently scheduled for May 14th, so official details on Porsche's newest rear-wheel drive road warrior should be forthcoming.

UPDATE: A forum member at TeamSpeed has some preliminary stats from the launch in Leipzig. The new GT2 RS is reportedly packing 620 hp and will come in nearly 200 pounds lighter than the current GT2. The 0-62 mph time is pegged at 3.2 seconds with a rumored 'Ring time of... wait for it... 7:22 – the same as the Dodge Viper ACR.
    I'm guessing the GT2 RSs mentioned by bawlz and clutch are.. shall we say.. homages.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Do I win a prize?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I think Porsche is trying to put RUF out of business by either a. building a car even faster than they can or b. by building a car for them to base their next model on that will be so fast most of their customers will kill themselves.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Do I win a prize?
    I can't find any evidence of an officially released GT2RS.. so I'm still guessing doctored badge. Feel free to prove me wrong!

Thats the only photo of it I put up to my facebook. So I can't exactly access my other images from work.

EDIT: doctored as in the owner put it on even though its not official? Probably, thats my thinking too.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Doctored badge or not, that's a nice looking GT2.

Thats the only photo of it I put up to my facebook. So I can't exactly access my other images from work.

EDIT: doctored as in the owner put it on even though its not official? Probably, thats my thinking too.
    Yea, ownermans playing with some sticky lettering. I'm not crying photoshoppery here, just badge shopping. I'd be interested in knowing whether or not it's been given extra go to offset the weight gain from the extra badging though..

Theres more than just the weight of the badge to take into account - That car had a stripped interior, very thin looking carpet, full cage, race seats.. etc. Looked very impressive.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

IIRC a previous "GT2 RS" in 996 form was released by EDO, altough I don't know if they did the conversion to the 997s as well.

As for this car, well, maybe it will try to bring attention to the GT2, which almost no one cares about.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

ah the one i saw was merely a GT2R

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ckday-gt2r.jpg
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information