Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Porsche GT2 RS

Well perhaps all is down to personal preference, but I prefer a car to make me feel good when I drive rather to be the fastest. Exagerating, it's like comparing a Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG to a 1.8 MX-5. The Merc will always be the faster car around a track, but the car I want is the Mazda
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well perhaps all is down to personal preference, but I prefer a car to make me feel good when I drive rather to be the fastest. Exagerating, it's like comparing a Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG to a 1.8 MX-5. The Merc will always be the faster car around a track, but the car I want is the Mazda
    Well, that's a boring story...that's why there are 'ring articles and why it's the benchmark.

Porsche can be crticised for many things, but at least they still know how to make proper sportscars.

2011 Porsche 911 GT2 RS: New Photos Surfaces Online - Carscoop
    I haven't driven any modern Porsche but from what I have read I would assume the Cayman proves they still know how to make a proper sports car. By that I mean driver involvement and fun. The lap times don't mean much to me since they still pale when compared to any number of track only race cars.

No Damiano, what I needed to know it's in the pictures.

Are you there yet?
    It's a manual.

No Damiano, what I needed to know it's in the pictures.

Are you there yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It's a manual.
    Indeed, which shouldn't be a surprise as I don't think they have either an automatic or fake sequential for this torque or the will to waste some weight for a double clutch gearbox, given it's up to the task as well. Surely a welcomed bit, iirc even the standard GT2 is a manual.

It's a bold move, with all other companies moving to fake sequentials or DCTs, they have a bit more chances to inherit some customers.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

That's the great thing at Porsche, they still insist in a proper driving experience.

I like that.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's the great thing at Porsche, they still insist in a proper driving experience.

I like that.
    That's I think the only good thing left.
    With the Enzo and the 360 Challenge Stradale, Ferrari took the technological path as others, while Porsche sticked with the old school. Which is good.
    I'd rather try to have both, but customers would only want the fake sequential and I'd be forced to get rid of the manual because of costs and low sale figures.
    Regardless, I still think it's the only good thing, or if not the only one, it's still too little to balance everything else which I believe is wrong with them.

Perhaps the marriage with VAG will help moving some oh-so-good-not-so-Porsche stuff to other brands (Audi would be happy to help I guess).
    I just read on autoblog that the Panamera sold twice as much as the 911, and that the Cayenne used to sell even more of the PanAm before of the new model unveiling. So basically 85% of Porsches now are either SUVs or a luxury/sporty sedan, and only 15% are sportscar of various sorts.
    (That's the USA, you may argue...)

I think that is something more about, don't know, Mazda, not Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    The lap times don't mean much to me since they still pale when compared to any number of track only race cars.
    This.

Lap times, 0-60/62, BHP, torque, top speed, and other bullshit figures mean nothing in road-only cars.

EDIT: Perhaps they mean something, but what I am meaning is that some people focus too much on those figures when making comparisons between two models (ie: that GT2 vs GTR Ring Time thing a while back).
    Last edited by LTSmash; 05-11-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    That's I think the only good thing left.
    With the Enzo and the 360 Challenge Stradale, Ferrari took the technological path as others, while Porsche sticked with the old school. Which is good.
    I'd rather try to have both, but customers would only want the fake sequential and I'd be forced to get rid of the manual because of costs and low sale figures.
    Regardless, I still think it's the only good thing, or if not the only one, it's still too little to balance everything else which I believe is wrong with them.

Perhaps the marriage with VAG will help moving some oh-so-good-not-so-Porsche stuff to other brands (Audi would be happy to help I guess).
    I just read on autoblog that the Panamera sold twice as much as the 911, and that the Cayenne used to sell even more of the PanAm before of the new model unveiling. So basically 85% of Porsches now are either SUVs or a luxury/sporty sedan, and only 15% are sportscar of various sorts.
    (That's the USA, you may argue...)

I think that is something more about, don't know, Mazda, not Porsche.
    I don't know, yes the Cayenne is plain wrong no argument to be had here.

But get past the badge and the rather awful detailing, and the Panamera is not that bad. I don't want it as a Porsche, but as I said if you get past the badge what you basically have is the last remaining big sports saloon still available with a manual gearbox. I think that should count for something.

And their sportscars are still top of the class, and all of them (except the 911 Turbo S I think) available with a manual. Some are ONLY available with a manual. I think that shows commitment, and I like it.

I think it's clutch's signature which says that grandmas can use paddles and that they aren't challenging. Well precisely, Porsche's, unlike most other modern sportscars and supercars still can separate men from boys.

And despite everything that is wrong with Porsche, I think that this is something we should appreciate.
    Visca Catalunya!

I do appreciate that, but it just doesn't balance the equation. Corvette is using manuals as well, and I prefer the ZR1 to the GT2 to be honest.
    At least Corvette is doind exactly that, Corvettes.

The PanAm is available with a manual except for the Turbo, which considering we are talking about performance, is the model to look at to see Porsche's commitment. Regardless, good to have a manual, no doubt.

I'm not so keen on saying that Porsches are the best in class, that's just too subjective. As non extreme cars, I'd prefer something more like an Aston or a Jaguar, and while considering their exterme versions, like the GT3, yes they are good, but on the other hand they don't have a real competition.
    The 430 Scuderia is possibly a larger car in my point of view, more power, more electronics, a different toys for different people. Same for the LP570 SuperLeggera.
    Porsche knows this different, and that's why they aren't using that kind of stuff. They are fishing in a lake with less fishermen.
    Anyway, then there is the Viper ACR, which is actually a bit too much of a racing car, while the GT3 (if not the GT3 RS as well) is more usable on everyday roads. What's left?

Yep, the GT3 and GT3 RS are good cars. Again, not enough to balance all the rest.

I personally wouldn't buy a Porsche except for an second hand Boxter or Cayman maybe, and that's because I'm freaking scared to look like a Fast and Furious kid if I'd buy a 350Z or 370Z.
    Give me a few years, and I'd prefer the 370 probably.
    Porsche stopped appealing me with the 997. Clutch has the perfect garage indeed.

Despite their American and European media website being empty, autoblog has an official shot and data:
    620 bhp, 194 lbs saved, 245.000 $

Ferrer, this is for you: declared 7:18 on the Nurburgring.

Porsche 911 GT2 RS – Most Powerful, Street Legal Porsche Ever
    Ultimate 911 extracts 620 ultra-efficient, twin-turbocharged horsepower from 3.6 liters; dramatically improved power-to-weight ratio and increased fuel economy

ATLANTA - May 12, 2010 - The time: seven minutes, 18 seconds on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife. The power: 620 hp. The weight: 3,020 lb (1,370 kilograms) in road trim with all fluids on board. The car: the new 2011 Porsche 911 GT2 RS.

90 More Horsepower, 154 lbs Less Filling
    The latest 911 is the fastest and most powerful road-going sports car ever built in the history of Porsche. With horsepower (hp) up by 90 and weight down by 154 lbs (70 kilograms) in comparison with the previous 911 GT2, the new 911 GT2 RS has a power-to-weight ratio of just 4.9 lbs (2.21 kg) per horsepower, by far the best power/weight ratio in its class. These are the ideal ingredients for an ultra-high-performance sports car with supreme agility and truly blistering performance on the road. Perfectly illustrating Porsche Intelligent Performance, the 2011 GT2 RS achieves a reduction of approximately 5 percent for both fuel consumption and CO2 emission reduction when compared with the previous 911 GT2.

The 3.6 liter six-cylinder boxer engine features two variable turbine geometry turbochargers and provides power to the rear wheels exclusively through a six-speed manual gearbox. Equally impressive stopping power comes from Porsche Composite Ceramic Brakes (PCCB).

Unique Tires, One of a Kind Performance
    New tires were specifically developed for the 911 GT2 RS and measure 245/35 ZR 19 at the front and 325/30 ZR 19 at the rear, delivering cornering performance to match the straight-line speed. Extreme cornering dynamics are ensured by the setup of the springs, Porsche Adaptive Suspension Management (PASM), unique anti-roll bars, specific engine mounts and recalibrated Porsche Stability Management (PSM), whose stability and traction control functions can be switched off individually.

The combined effect of these developments is evident on the racetrack. In fact, the ultimate 911 accelerates from 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, boasts a top-track speed of 205 mph and laps the famed Nürburgring-Nordschleife racetrack in just 7 minutes and 18 seconds.

Carbon Fiber, Limited Production
    In its looks, the new 911 GT2 RS stands out clearly from the other 911 models through the lavish use of carbon-fiber-reinforced (CFR) components with a matt-black surface finish, even wider wheels (including flared wheel arches at the front), new light-alloy wheels with central locking and "GT2 RS" model designations on the doors and rear lid. Matte-finish carbon also graces the redesigned front spoiler lip and the 3/8th of an inch (10 mm) taller rear spoiler lip - which both enhance aerodynamics and provide extra downforce.

The interior of the 911 GT2 RS also exudes sporting performance in virtually every detail. Lightweight two-piece bucket seats made of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic are standard, as are lightweight door panels with fabric straps instead of traditional door handles. The basic interior color is black, which contrasts with red elements, such as the seat center sections, the roof lining and segments of the steering wheel rim. The gearshift and handbrake lever are also finished in red alcantara.

Limited to just 500 units worldwide, the 911 GT2 RS will be available in the U.S. October 2010 and will have a MSRP of $245.000. The GT2 RS is making its world debut at the Moscow Auto Show on August 25th 2010.

Bring on the next round of ring wars. The viper drivers club may use the new gearing as an excuse to head back with a better driver this time. I'm sure 3-4 other companies are going to come up with a fancy new gizmo that's supposed to make it faster, and they'll go out to defend their honor. Has the GTR spec v run yet?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Indeed, which shouldn't be a surprise as I don't think they have either an automatic or fake sequential for this torque or the will to waste some weight for a double clutch gearbox, given it's up to the task as well. Surely a welcomed bit, iirc even the standard GT2 is a manual.

It's a bold move, with all other companies moving to fake sequentials or DCTs, they have a bit more chances to inherit some customers.
    the meitzger (sp?) engines do not come with direct injection, or PDK in particular thankfully.
    that is reserved for the carrera engines, and the new turbocharged carrera engine in the current turbo.
    why the GT1 based engines never got those features is either due to their laziness or commitment to driving, dependng on who you ask lol.
    it could well be these engines will be harder to keep compliant with emissions for much longer, so why bother shoehorning DI and PDK into them? haha
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 05-11-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

70kg off means this car should weight as much as the GT3RS, with turbos and everything. It is quite impressive, this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it could well be these engines will be harder to keep compliant with emissions for much longer, so why bother shoehorning DI and PDK into them? haha
    This could very well be it. Which could also mean, despite everything Porsche says, that the next 911 GTs will be automatics.
    Visca Catalunya!

This could very well be it. Which could also mean, despite everything Porsche says, that the next 911 GTs will be automatics.
    yep, that's when we'll know if it was laziness haha. although Direct Injection is certainly no downside.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information