Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jenson Button in Gun Attack

^^^ I know from a chat with a guy many years back that the top protection is fitting chobham armour ( US burlingham ) and "similar" into the door areas and making them MUCH wider. Kevlar on it's own doesn't stop much beyond large calibre rounds.
    Aware that the top guys attract the toip attackers they need to protect against armour piercing and plasma-jet/shaped charge weapons not just the RPGs of a decade ago.
    I think that's why the top ones have such thicker doors.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^^ I know from a chat with a guy many years back that the top protection is fitting chobham armour ( US burlingham ) and "similar" into the door areas and making them MUCH wider. Kevlar on it's own doesn't stop much beyond large calibre rounds.
    Aware that the top guys attract the toip attackers they need to protect against armour piercing and plasma-jet/shaped charge weapons not just the RPGs of a decade ago.
    I think that's why the top ones have such thicker doors.
    Chobham armor on a civilian passenger vehicle! That sounds like an urban myth.

There might well be a civilian, bonded ceramic/metal armor plate similar to Chobham, and they might promote it as "Chobham", but it will be a poor distant second cousin, and only an up-sell for the "security" consultant. For most civilian applications you protect for likely threat, and that is mostly hand gun, and high power rifle.
    Hell! If you are going to protect door & body panels with a ceramic/metal armor the obvious weak point is the glass. That can withstand multiple 30 cal and 7.62mm impacts, but was never intended to protect against an RPG, or LAWS. Few of the civilian protected vehicles will be able to handle a .50 API.
    There is a reason tanks, and armored fighting vehicles have limited glass exposure.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

Sorry, I was only going from what was told to me by the company doing the serious ones.

Chobham armour is nothing "special" and dependant on the number of layers and materials it doesn't ahve to be a foot thick

The US Presidential Limo .. quote ... "It is completely fitted with military grade armor at least five inches thick". So are you thinking that's 5 inches of solid steel ? OR a mix of steel, ceramic, kevlar ??

Please note I also said that they said this was a case of upscaling the armour to match the threat.
    I think you've gone off at a tangent thinkgin I'm saying ALL bad
    If you read I quoted the different US version and "similar".
    Chobham is called that jsut because of where it was invented. There isn't just ONE version of Chobham, there are numerous dependant on the perceived threat to protect against. Each has differences in the layers and quantity.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-07-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    No joke, I remember once, me and my SAS team (led by the venerable soap mctavish) were caught in an ambush there. the enemy had the high ground but we managed to fight our way out. Ultimately I had to jump off a cliff onto a helicopter or something wild like that. Later, the favela became a haven for knife wielding back stabbers.
    LMAO
    haha +1

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    How much armoring do they put in those things anyway? I thought an armored vehicle had not much more than reinforced body panels and bullet proof glass all around.
    not sure but if you head over to box o' truth you can see some 'independant' testing lol.
    The Box O' Truth #48 - Laminated Bullet Proof Glass - Rifles - Page 1
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Sorry, I was only going from what was told to me by the company doing the serious ones.

Chobham armour is nothing "special" and dependant on the number of layers and materials it doesn't ahve to be a foot thick

The US Presidential Limo .. quote ... "It is completely fitted with military grade armor at least five inches thick". So are you thinking that's 5 inches of solid steel ? OR a mix of steel, ceramic, kevlar ??

Please note I also said that they said this was a case of upscaling the armour to match the threat.
    I think you've gone off at a tangent thinkgin I'm saying ALL bad
    If you read I quoted the different US version and "similar".
    Chobham is called that jsut because of where it was invented. There isn't just ONE version of Chobham, there are numerous dependant on the perceived threat to protect against. Each has differences in the layers and quantity.
    Agreed, "Chobham" is the common label for ceramic/metal armors. It is prudent to protect for the threat, however, for the most part the threat is not elevated to HEAT rounds, or missiles. The logical protection level is against firearm disablement, combined with defensive driving techniques.

There is also nothing stopping a civilian company from developing its own ceramic/metal laminated armor, except that most formulations of the ceramics and the laminate sequences are highly classified by the nations producing and using "Chobham" type armor.

As far as the Presidential limo(s)(there are more than one) and its "military grade armor" protection go, I would not classify them as civilian vehicles. It is not built from a regular Cadillac limo. They are a one off special government order, built on a GMC TopKick truck chassis, and they are only styled to look like a Cadillac, and do not share any body panels with the Caddy. It has the frame to carry the considerable weight of several different types of "military grade" armor.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

Also, Kristen Stewart, Rob Pattinson and Stephenie Meyer are in Rio filming scenes for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn. Their own security and the Brazilians are taking no freakin' chances there! They've been driven around in armored SUVs with armed guards and Military Policemen. I have to say that the fans are better behaved than in several areas in America or Europe, by the way!

I know that Brazil takes a lof of flak, but there are cities in American and Europe where crime--random gangs or organized crime--are equally as rife.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

So savage you agree then that the "top guys" get it then.
    Go back and READ coz that is all I said about the REALLY advanced stuff
    It REALLY pisses me off about forum pussies who can't be effing bothered to READ

So savage you agree then that the "top guys" get it then.
    Go back and READ coz that is all I said about the REALLY advanced stuff
    It REALLY pisses me off about forum pussies who can't be effing bothered to READ
    All it takes is money, and sometimes that money comes out of a national budget.
    …and reading is a skill I mastered some time ago, one I take out and exercise frequently.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

^^^ well why not this time savage as most of your previous posts clearly did NOT demontrate that skill being used before you typed

I see now you've come round to "all it takes is money".
    roflmao

^^^ well why not this time savage as most of your previous posts clearly did NOT demontrate that skill being used before you typed

I see now you've come round to "all it takes is money".
    roflmao
    Sorry, I just don't know how to "demontrate". So I guess that could be the reason it was not clear.

…and yes, money is all it ever takes. It is sort of a universal truth, when it comes to cars, cameras, women, and armor protected vehicles.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

So I watched the race today a bit and the announcers mentioned that one of the other teams had their briefcases stolen at gunpoint also. After saying that the announcer goes "thats just modern life in brazil" or something along those lines haha
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    I know that Brazil takes a lof of flak, but there are cities in American and Europe where crime--random gangs or organized crime--are equally as rife.
    I cant speak for europe but there are no cities in America where crime is "equally as rife" as what it sounds like that brazilian city is like.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

On the armor thing,

No private security company would ever use chaubum armor. It is extremely heavy, and drastically hampers handling. If a security driver can't get away (and if they can afford Chaubum armor, they can afford a driver), all the armor in the world is useless.

Jenson himself accredited his driver's driving skills to his escape.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

By the way, is chaubum armor depleted uranium armor?

I tried googling it, it never showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    By the way, is chaubum armor depleted uranium armor?

I tried googling it, it never showed up.
    It really depends on the compound. Like said previously, Chaubum is a general term, and is applied everywhere. I know for a fact that the M1 Abram COMBAT TANK uses depleted uranium as a part of its Chaubum compound.
    But, it's heavier than lead, so its applications in private security just about negate its benefits as a protective material.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information