Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Schuppans 962CR's!?

Two Schuppans 962CR's!?

-> Um, sorry if that was brought up before. But its been itching me for the past few weeks but I'm confused on regards to the rare Schuppan 962CR super car. According to Google Image Search, there were two different types of the 962CR's:

This is the one we all know:

And now, this Daur-looking thing:

-> This is the best forum I could go to and ask. Please enlighten me, many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Boy View Post
    -> This is the best forum I could go to and ask.
    Rennlist or the pelican parts forum has a wealth of porsche knowledge..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Im not sure on what you are asking but that is one good lookin car.

Chassis #01-05 are just normal 962CR's with the round front lights and all the rest.

The other is chassis #06, seems the owner just preferred the original 962 front end so he had it changed. It's still a 962CR and would've had the normal front end at some point in it's life.

Both are mistakes...

I do not like the idea of trashing a legendary race car chassis, just to make a fast road car.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Both are mistakes...

I do not like the idea of trashing a legendary race car chassis, just to make a fast road car.
    how are they "trashed" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    how are they "trashed" ?
    The original 962, was an amazing racing car, and should be remembered that way.
    Eventhough the Schuppan is a new chassis, it still uses the 962 engine, which just isn't an engine you downtune and let an private abuse. That engine is an engine meant for racing.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Eventhough the Schuppan is a new chassis, it still uses the 962 engine, which just isn't an engine you downtune and let an private abuse. That engine is an engine meant for racing.
    Not sure your concern is valid. There were a LOT of 956/962s constructed. Privately built chassis like Schuppan's used spare motors readily available from Porsche: no significant racing 962 was harmed in the process. Besides, any "abuse" came from racing in the period... in retirement these things are treated very well. They cost to much to abuse.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Not sure your concern is valid. There were a LOT of 956/962s constructed. Privately built chassis like Schuppan's used spare motors readily available from Porsche: no significant racing 962 was harmed in the process. Besides, any "abuse" came from racing in the period... in retirement these things are treated very well. They cost to much to abuse.
    This i know .
    But the engine was designed and build to be raced, and not just sit or being run at 100km/h.
    Besides the original 962 was a beautyfull car why redesign the car instead of doing it the Dauer way? (i know that the Schuppan was before the Dauer)
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

what about the race drivers who crashed & blew up their 962 engines ?

what about the race drivers who crashed & blew up their 962 engines ?
    "Better to burn out - than to fade away" - Neil Young.
    Again, those cars and engines was created knowing that it would happened at some point.
    And it's not like we all go: "Aaarh, that engine would have been awesome in a road car", when we watch a current Le Mans car blow its engine.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

well.. 934's get street driven. between track sessions. no reason a 962 can't do the same
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

"Aaarh, that engine would have been awesome in a road car", when we watch a current Le Mans car blow its engine.
    we dont ?

we prefer the overly large & low tech mass produced things that sit in 99% of road cars do we ?

we dont ?

we prefer the overly large & low tech mass produced things that sit in 99% of road cars do we ?
    You don't.
    No one thinks about modern race engines as a possible road car engines.
    The only modern Le Mans engine i can be think of, being use outside sportscars is the the JUDD V10, used in some Hill Climb cars.
    Running an engine on the road is just sad, as the engine will never use it full potential.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Thread Information