16 37.21%
  • WRX is, EVO isn't

1 2.33%
  • EVO is, WRX isn't

2 4.65%
  • WRX GO WHAAAAAAAAM PSHH WAAAAAM YOOO

6 13.95%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impreza WRX and Lancer Evo, Sports Cars or not?

Impreza WRX and Lancer Evo, Sports Cars or not?

Are these two amazing cars sports cars, or something else? I'm curious to see what everyone thinks as it has hardly been crystal clear in the past. I personally don't think they quite fit in the sports category, more in the road racer category, if you sorta get me. Please voice your opinions here!

To be correct, a REAL sportscar has to be: a RWD, Rear engine, and open top (Roadster, Cabriolet, Convertible)
    "Power, Beauty, Soul" - Aston Martin

Quote Originally Posted by jones.dk
    To be correct, a REAL sportscar has to be: a RWD, Rear engine, and open top (Roadster, Cabriolet, Convertible)
    NO road-going 'real' sportscar should be open top.
    The lack of a roof structure makes a chassis that has too much flex.
    To fix the flex, MORE weight is added to the body and side structures taking it OUT of being 'real' sportscar. ( and this from a 7-copy fan - but THAT is a long story on the practicalities of Chapmans philposphy )
    Front-engine RWD is as good a sports car as rear-engine RWD.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

for me they are rally cars, some sort of sport car maybe, but they don't have nothing in common with italian sport cars

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    ..they don't have nothing in common with italian sport cars
    or real sports cars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Sub 14 sec quarter miles times, .9g lateral acceleration, sounds like a sportscar to me. Maybe they don't fit the typical sportscar mould but they would blow the doors off of a lot of cars that are considered sportscars (Miata, S2000, Boxster, 350z, ect).

sports saloon?

I think that's the point in discussion Nazca.

They are FAST cars, even Bentley's are fast, but are they "sports cars" ?

I think WRX cars are very fast road cars, they don't have the 'edge' in design compromise for a true sports car.

Switching to analytical mode, dictionary say ....
    sports car
    n.
    An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-28-2004 at 10:49 AM.

In my humble opinion, a sports car should be just what it says on the tin. A car for motorsport. It shouldn't be "a great every day car" or "really practical both on and off the track".

A real sports car, if used as an everyday runabout, should provide the owner with lashings of back problems, a generous serving of white knuckles and a soupçon of earache. And not apologise for it.

How about calling them "race ready" road cars?

Depends on how hardcore you are about racing them, you can modify them to fit your needs (or budget)...from mild road sedens to full breed rally racers!
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Quote Originally Posted by byronleehk
    How about calling them "race ready" road cars?
    Hmm... I think I'm going to call them "sweaty saloons", the obvious natural progression from "hot hatch".

Realistically that's what they are. They're just bigger, more expensive brethren to the Golf GTIs and Honda Civics.

well an M5 is a sports car so why not Evo or WRX? the standard WRX is kinda wimpy but the STi is more hardcore as is the new Evo MR. a "sports car" if you take a literal definition will be a car designed and used for motorsports competitions. since no road car is designed for that purpose (only derived from or vice versa) its safe to say none of them are sports cars, only real ones like F1 racers would be

but if you take a subjective interpretation nearly any car can be a "sports" car if you can have fun in it, and although I personally have not driven any of these cars, it's pretty safe to say that all of them will be spleen bendingly good fun

But the M5 isn't a sports car....
    Thanks for all the fish

Flamer Saloons?

i dont think theyr really sports cars, but some people might consider them that. i'd consider them either sports sedans or sports saloons to some. a sports car is more of a car that is built from the gruind up originally for sports use. Both the WRX and EVO are built up from the Lancer and Impreza
    I am the Stig

Thread Information