View Poll Results: cord, auburn, duesenberg, or mercedes?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1937 Cord 812

4 16.67%
  • 1936 Auburn 851 speedster

3 12.50%
  • 1936 Mercedes 500k

7 29.17%
  • 1931 Duesenberg Model J

10 41.67%

Thread: oldies

oldies

4 cars - the 1937 Cord 812 supercharged, the 1936 Auburn 851 speedster, the 1936 Mercedes 500k, and the 1931 Duesenberg model j speedster. three americans and one german. only the german is still around today...craftmanship, market or a combination of both?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My vote has to go for the 500K in this little comparo.
    2005 Victory Red Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab
    2002 Concord Purple Harley Sportster 883XLC

"I think the Vietnam war is nothing more than the white people sending the black people to fight the yellow people in order to secure a nation stolen from the red people"-Anonymous

UCP's Biggest Chevrolet Corvette fan.

me too

Im voting for the Cord. Why? Because they were built at Tulsa Oklahoma. Which is a little less than 25 miles away rom where I live. I have a lot of pride in my state.
    eat cicada

OO, i love the Cord, but they all are works of automotive art
    To Some, a rusted out 1989 GMC Suburban* is trash

But to Me, its home

Just voted for the Duesenberg, the 500K is just too German, the Cord was let down by its lycoming engine, which was I think was also in the Auburn. Somebody has just written a comment in the comment section on the Duesenberg, which I fully subscribe to. It's just one great car. For those old enough to remember, in the sixties Monogram issued a very nice kit of the car, which I built when I was 15 or so and was able to keep for a long time, until it finally disintegrated during many removals. (actually I also built the Jo-Han kit of the 500K and the Monogram kit of the Cord as well, I can't remember whether there was a kit of the Auburn available).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    For those old enough to remember, in the sixties Monogram issued a very nice kit of the car, which I built when I was 15 or so and was able to keep for a long time, until it finally disintegrated during many removals. (actually I also built the Jo-Han kit of the 500K and the Monogram kit of the Cord as well, I can't remember whether there was a kit of the Auburn available).
    henk4 you're one lucky dude

I only had the pleasure of building the Monogram Cord kit. Saw the others but weren't able to (and still can't) afford them
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Quote Originally Posted by byronleehk
    henk4 you're one lucky dude

I only had the pleasure of building the Monogram Cord kit. Saw the others but weren't able to (and still can't) afford them
    I hope it does not hurt when I tell you that I also had the Bugatti 35B, the Lincoln Zephyr, the RR Phantom, the Packard and the Lincoln Zephyr. Later on I also found the Duesenberg Towncar, these are such good kits.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I voted for the Duesenberg ... I love the look of the Cord and I'm sure the Mercedes back then were as solidly engineered as the Mercedes of today, but when all is said and done the Duesenberg is the standard of that era by which everything else is compared.

I took the Cord, because it was pushing the envelope, not unlike contemporary Citroëns.

Mercedes-Benz is still around, but Americans upscale independents (Packard, etc.) could not survive in the postwar years of the Detroit standardisation steamroller. So when OPEC struck and the Detroit motor family values were shaken in the ’70s and ’80s, US buyers seeking an alternative turned to Stuttgart and Yokohama for solace.

Of course, even before the war, getting in league together could not save the Duesenberg-Auburn-Cord band of brothers. The economic circumstances were just too unfavourable.
    Last edited by Hispano Swissa; 06-13-2004 at 04:40 PM.

the merc . if it's a 540K
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I hope it does not hurt when I tell you that I also had the Bugatti 35B, the Lincoln Zephyr, the RR Phantom, the Packard and the Lincoln Zephyr. Later on I also found the Duesenberg Towncar, these are such good kits.
    I hate you henk4

JUST KIDDING
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Thread Information