Today I was thinking that if I was the boss of a big car company I most probably wouldn't be able to design my own cars, models which would probably decided by a team of accountants, marketing men and an engineer or two. But even so I though that I at least I'd like to make version to Ferrer-spec and still put it on sale. I thought though that I couldn't go OTT with exotic things since it would still have to make theoretical financial sense.

(All of these ocurred to me while looking at a Panamera and thinking about the GTS version being Porsche's CEO-spec idea and then thinking that I'd do it all differently)

And then I thought, well where would I start? The car I've driven the most lately is well... suprise surprise... my own car. So it finally ocurred to me, if I had unlimited access to Mazda's resources (both in terms of engineers and money) what would I change to create an MX-5 FGT 1800 model?

I would start by stiffening the suspension a bit, but not too much. The ride comfort of the car as is, is great but it's a tad too soft for a sportscar. So I'd be prepared to sacrifice a little bit of comfort for better body control. I'd also install a high performance braking system with the biggest discs that the standard 16" wheels and tyres (which I'd keep by the way) could fit.

I would continue by adding a 6 speed manual gearbox with a taller 6th gear as a sort of overdrive. This would help ease the noise when cruising. At the same I would maintain the ratios (or perhaps I'd shorten them a bit) for spirited driving. I'd also add a limited slip differential.

I would move to the back as many parts that are under the bonnet currently (like the battery) as possible and I would add a lightweight exhaust system with a single twin tailpipe exit (I'd delete the fake dual) but not necessarily louder. I'd also fit the engine itself with lightweight parts (like forged pistons and the likes) but nothing too radical. I'd raise the rev limit and fine tune the engine a bit to gain a bit of power (10-15% more would be ok). Everything where weight could be saved without going exotic or sacrifising everyday usability would be thrown away or changed (lightweight battery, plastic covers for the engine, etc)

In the interior I'd only change the seats, if possible for lighter items, but especially for something more comfortable and supportive. If they are heavier I'd still get them, one of the only places where a weight increase would be allowed.

I'd cover the underbody of the car as much as possible to improve aerodynamics and I make changes to the body where possible to reduce drag but without changing substantially the appearance of the car. I'd install lightweight bodypanels where possible, if it didn't drive up the cost too much.

My target would be an increase of cost (for a mass production version of large volume car manufacturer) between 20 and 30% over the standard car. Anything that would go over the projected price would be discarded.

So, what would you do to your car if you had proper access to a car manufacturer's resources?