Thread: Is there a difference between European and American diesel?

Is there a difference between European and American diesel?

Sorry if this seems like a n00b question, but I am still learning about cars and don't know everything. That's why forums are so great: for asking questions . Anyway, I wanted to know, is there a difference in the grade or type of diesel that they use in Europe and America? I've been looking around at the fantastic diesels that you guys in Europe have, and I'd love to have that kind of economy over here. I know, I can get a VW, but they cost a wee much for me right now (and there gas mileage is only slightly better). I've had my eye on two diesels as of late: the Citroën C2 1.4HDi (it gets better gas mileage than a Prius!) and the MINI One D (I love the MINI, and this one gets insane gas mileage on top of its looks!). Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking that if I can use American diesel in a European diesel engine, I'd seriously consider importing one of those two cars. Thanks again.

P.S. One more little question would be: can I find either of those two cars in LHD or do they only make them for RHD countries? I think I can legally drive a RHD car here, but I think I'd get a wee confused .
    No-so-proud owner of a 1986 Mustang LX with the 2.3L four. Anyone wanna buy it? $500. I'll post some pics and info in the user's rides section soon.

I don't need anything too fancy, just something that can get me to the sun and back in 5 seconds flat.

I wanna see a comparison test between the Saleen SR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT, and Ferrari Challange Stradale. Anyone wanna help me with that? I already know who'd win, though ;).

From what I have heard on the tele, European diesel is cleaner. SO when you burn it it does not stink or look as bad.
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    From what I have heard on the tele, European diesel is cleaner. SO when you burn it it does not stink or look as bad.
    I've heard that as well, but I wonder if that would make it so American diesel wouldn't work . I guess another question would be: how much per gallon would it cost me to import European diesel?
    No-so-proud owner of a 1986 Mustang LX with the 2.3L four. Anyone wanna buy it? $500. I'll post some pics and info in the user's rides section soon.

I don't need anything too fancy, just something that can get me to the sun and back in 5 seconds flat.

I wanna see a comparison test between the Saleen SR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT, and Ferrari Challange Stradale. Anyone wanna help me with that? I already know who'd win, though ;).

Where do you live? That would have a lot to do with it.
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gnafu the Great
    I've heard that as well, but I wonder if that would make it so American diesel wouldn't work . I guess another question would be: how much per gallon would it cost me to import European diesel?
    Importing your own diesel if OK.
    All you need is to buy it in bulk on the Rotterdam maerket and pay a tanker to deliver it to a loca storage facility.

Of course you'd be buyin gmore diesel than you will use in 2 lifetimes so it may not be practical

Oh and the government will likely want to tax you on it AND require you ta have proper handling facilities. Also Exxon may come round and try to ban you oneconimic damage to the US economy. Can't have 'better' fuels in their own backyard now can we

Wouldn't try bringing a Citroen in on your own.
    Servicing the latest Citroesn is ONLY possible with the dealer-provided engine management interface. If you want to add an accessory it needs to be programmed in to the computer. There have already been 2 upgrades for the ECU provided via download in the dealer. You'd lose all that support and coule end up with a very exopensive garden ornament.

Same issues if you import your own Mini One.
    It may not be DOT approved and the C2
    Whether MINI ever bring the One and specifically the One D to the US is best asked in Mini forums or direct to the MiniUsa site.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    Where do you live? That would have a lot to do with it.
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI. Right in the middle of the ol' Dairyland .

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Importing your own diesel if OK.
    All you need is to buy it in bulk on the Rotterdam maerket and pay a tanker to deliver it to a loca storage facility.

Of course you'd be buyin gmore diesel than you will use in 2 lifetimes so it may not be practical

Oh and the government will likely want to tax you on it AND require you ta have proper handling facilities. Also Exxon may come round and try to ban you oneconimic damage to the US economy. Can't have 'better' fuels in their own backyard now can we

Wouldn't try bringing a Citroen in on your own.
    Servicing the latest Citroesn is ONLY possible with the dealer-provided engine management interface. If you want to add an accessory it needs to be programmed in to the computer. There have already been 2 upgrades for the ECU provided via download in the dealer. You'd lose all that support and coule end up with a very exopensive garden ornament.

Same issues if you import your own Mini One.
    It may not be DOT approved and the C2
    Whether MINI ever bring the One and specifically the One D to the US is best asked in Mini forums or direct to the MiniUsa site.
    Aah, thanks for that . I guess I am going to have to settle with a sub-$15K car that gets 30+ mpg for now (probably a Scion xB, I love the thing and it gets great gas mileage for the size and all) and then save up for a VW Golf TDI or something (I'm really liking the Golf, so that's not unlikely a few years down the road), hehe. I'd still like to know if there is a difference in diesel, just for the sake of knowledge . Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information