Thread: Saab 9-2X (aka. Dear God I'm going to have a seizure)

Saab 9-2X (aka. Dear God I'm going to have a seizure)

What the hell? Has anybody seen the new Saab 9-2x? What were they thinking? The car looks like (or is?) an impreza with a new front spoiler. This is insane! The car is no better or different than the Impreza or WRX. It is simply rebadged with some fancy leather and interior adornments. No stability control, no advanced safety features, just a bunch of garbage that costs 5g's more than the same car with a cloth interior and different badge.

Here I am, getting all excited to see another AWD sports car on the market, when all it is is a rebadged subaru. I'm disappointed, and I hope sales show it.

/end rant
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Ah, but it isn't exactly the same...

From Evo 069
    "The new Saab 9-2X Aero is a better car than the stock Subaru Impreza WRX wagon on which it is based. Quite a lot better, in fact. Not only is it sharper, it's also more refined and less wearing to drive thanks to chassis modifications carried out by Saab engineers.
    The changes were so admired by Subaru that Saab's suspension chief stayed on in Japan after the 9-2X project was finished to help out and it's expected some of his mods will find themselves onto a facelifted Impreza later this year"

"Inside, there's been a big leap forward. Saab has given the car new door panels, centre console and instrument binnacle. The instrument faces have also been redesigned, while the seats are new and are trimmed in more luxurious materials."

So, due to the 9-2X, the Impreza will be made better.
    Thanks for all the fish

DUR DUR DUR DUR DUH DURH DUHRURHDU

So dumb down the WRX. Congratulations, you now have a crappy version of what was once close to a "sports" car.

Take your center console shove it, put it towards a bigger turbo for me, please.

And by chassis modifications, I assume two strut bars and softer springs.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

saab's never really had any great cars (at least in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    saab's never really had any great cars (at least in my opinion)
    ah, the wisdom of youth

Saab had some GREAT cars and the 99 Turbo was a ground-breaker.
    You'd not have FWD turbos without them doing it first for the mass-market !!

The 99 Turbos was the SCARIEST car out. So much power it would wheelspin in 3rd at 100mph !! Come off the throttle and it would be a pussy around town

Many met a nasty end though as it had MASSIVE torque steer. Apply too much right foot in a bend and it would tear the steering wheel from your grip and accelerate straight off the outside !! Course it just made it more interestgin to drive. Balancing the throttle was a real challenge, especially as turbos back them were either on or off

Saab 95 were as successful in rallying in the 60s as WRX and EVOs are now. BUT you didn't need to buy the latest hypoed, souped up version to be competitive. Grannies 95 was as fast as the rally versions. Can't say that about a Mitsu
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    So dumb down the WRX. Congratulations, you now have a crappy version of what was once close to a "sports" car.
    Please explain how making the Impreza a better handling car dumbs it down?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    And by chassis modifications, I assume two strut bars and softer springs.
    "Up front the turbocharged Aero gets modified dampers and the steering rack is now quicker. At the back there are modified dampers and 10mm shorter bump stops. One of the suspension's lateral links has been swapped from steel to aluminium and the anit roll bar linkage from steel to plastic. The 9-2X gets bespoke tyres, which are claimed to improve not only handling and steering, but also ride comfort."

"...the front wishbones are six times stiffer than the Subaru's, which has improved the turn in and steering response no end."

"The Aero's quicker steering and less roll-prone chassis give it a much more focused character. The razor sharp front-end responses are highly impressive."

"So this is probably the best mainstream Impreza yet, although Subaru is poised with its own refreshed model."

This coming from a magazine which almost worships the Impreza, so if they think its better, I'll believe them.

Thanks for all the fish

anyone got a pic of it?
    have fun with all my attached pictures guys!

Quote Originally Posted by foto_choppa
    anyone got a pic of it?
    an old pic from last years launch ....

EDIT: Did the obvious - Saab's US site has all the info ... http://9-2x.saabusa.com/
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-26-2004 at 06:03 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Please explain how making the Impreza a better handling car dumbs it down?
    Who's idea of "better handling" I guess.
    My suspicion is it will actually be toned down handling.
    So for joe-bloggs, it is "better" for trackday and stage junkies it will be "soft".
    Need to wait and see....
    the anit roll bar linkage from steel to plastic.
    for example
    A steel linkage will have made for a rougher package, noisy and feedback through the wheel. Switching to 'plastic' - it'll be urethan - is better than rubber but not as performacne focussed as solid.
    "...the front wishbones are six times stiffer than the Subaru's, which has improved the turn in and steering response no end."
    Hard one to make a call on when they've also replaced the rack which would give the same. AND the wheels/tyres - BIG possible contributor.
    "The Aero's quicker steering and less roll-prone chassis give it a much more focused character.
    Hmm, softer anti-roll bushes and stiffer wishboes will make for more roll.
    So either we're not comparing like-for-like or Saab have done a lot more in the overal operation of dampers and springs than we're hearing the benefit of.
    This coming from a magazine which almost worships the Impreza, so if they think its better, I'll believe them.
    They have had some of the WORST journos on their books who've shown more interest in bling than bang !! Depends who's article it is

wasnt that designed by subaru wait it is
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Who's idea of "better handling" I guess.
    My suspicion is it will actually be toned down handling.
    So for joe-bloggs, it is "better" for trackday and stage junkies it will be "soft".
    Need to wait and see....
    Subaru knows best, I should imagine.

It is their car after all.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information